StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Stripers Online Forums › Main Forum › What happen if you get stung by Stingray?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What happen if you get stung by Stingray?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Hi guys, just went back from Cherrystome Virginia for a vacation. While fishing there I saw an old man caught a medium size stingray and I tried to help him land the stingray from the pier with a landing net. He doesn't know how to unhook the stingray so I decided to lend him a hand. As far as I know I have to secure the tail, so I stepped on the tail (both feet) then proceed unhooking the stingray, unluckily it slipped (I was wearing a beach sandals) and it manage to stung me on the left foot. Now I am feeling a burning pain on the area where I got stung. I heard a lot of people says it's posionous, others says, I'll be fine, the burning pain will last only a couple of days then will go away by itself. I need some advice from people who are knowledgeable about stingray or have experienced the same situation. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. .

post #2 of 17
Say good bye to your left foot and possibly other extermeties. How is your breathing? The posion travels through your body very slowly. I would be very cautious about laying down tonight to sleep, you might not wake up.
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock11 View Post

Say good bye to your left foot and possibly other extermeties. How is your breathing? The posion travels through your body very slowly. I would be very cautious about laying down tonight to sleep, you might not wake up.
If this is true I would go see a doctor just to be safe. You can never be too sure.
post #4 of 17

lol nah Grimm is pulling your leg.  You'll be fine.  It's not pleasant, but it's not serious.  The pain is worst the first hour or so.  One of the ways to kill off the protein based venom is sticking your foot in a hot(HOT) bucket/tub of water and soaking it for a long time.  An hour or two.  As long as you don't have worsening condition(tightness in chest, vomiting, difficulty breathing, etc) you don't need to go to the er.  If all it is, is localized pain, that'll go away.  Just soak it, then dress it like you would(triple antibiotic, gauze wrap).

post #5 of 17

btw, I used to go to cherrystone a couple times a year as a kid.  Haven't been in over a decade.  But we used to catch a ton of rays down there.

post #6 of 17
With all due respect for the expertise on this forum...........would highly recommend you only seek medical advice from medical personnel.......not on a fishing/other forum...........especially something that could be urgent................ Ant10 got it right.......
post #7 of 17

You really should be asking your doc these questions not us.  I think I'd be on the way to the ER.  Hope everything turns out ok.  Good luck.

post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 

Just got off the phone with my doctor, since, more than 90 minutes have already passed and I was alert, awake and oriented, no allergic reaction or any changes in breathing he just advised me to soak it in hot water (the hotter the better, to slow down the venom which causes a burning pain) and put neosporin after soaking to avoid infections. He also advised me not take any aspirinl (because it will speed up the circulation of the venom in the bloodstream, since it has a properties of blood thinner, but rather take tylenol for the pain), I feel the pain starting to subsides. Thanks for all the advise guys.

post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 

well said Surffishinfiend, you and my doctor have the same medical advice....Thanks for your advice...

post #10 of 17
You should get your friend to pee on your foot

















No stop..that's for jelly fish stings biggrin.gif Serioulsy glad you are OK you could have had an allergic reaction and gone into anaphylactic shock
post #11 of 17

Good news.  Hope you feel better. 

post #12 of 17
you'll be fine. run hot water on it in the tub, as hot and as long as you can stand it. the heat kills the toxin
post #13 of 17
Consider yourself lucky as i have seen a few Stingray wounds that were considerably worse , one completely went theough the calf of an anglers leg. Tons of them down here and some real brutes. For Anglers wading the flats remember to shuffle your feet when walking as if you bump a large Ray 95% of the time it will swim off but if you walk by picking your feet up and stepping down and your foot lands directly on top of a Ray you can expect an explosive defensive reaction and you won't be a happy camper.
post #14 of 17
No good deed goes unpunished!! Hopefully the karma gods will bless you with a monster fish!
post #15 of 17
ouch what a story sorry to hear about your foot man, I hope you get better biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Main Forum
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Stripers Online Forums › Main Forum › What happen if you get stung by Stingray?