StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Stripers Online Forums › Main Forum › How to work a curly tail on a bucktail?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to work a curly tail on a bucktail?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I had seen on the main forum a thread on pork rind or curly tail. I have been very successful this year with bucktails but have only used red over white colored pork rind. So my question is when you use a curly tail bucktail compared to pork rind do you work it differently? Also what brands and sizes do you use for them and how do you rigs them. Are they cheaper?
Thanks
post #2 of 11
Don't know if they're cheaper but they're easier. Use them same as a pork rind. I use white, red/white, yellow, chartreuse and black. My favorite is 4 inch, but---if I am fishing big water I'll go to 6 inch.
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant10 View Post

I had seen on the main forum a thread on pork rind or curly tail. I have been very successful this year with bucktails but have only used red over white colored pork rind. So my question is when you use a curly tail bucktail compared to pork rind do you work it differently? Also what brands and sizes do you use for them and how do you rigs them. Are they cheaper?
Thanks


Ant, don't change for the sake of change, if your kicking butt with a certain type stick with it. Guys change to find that magic combination.wink.gif
post #4 of 11
When i put tails on my hairy lead heads i like to come through the plastics so as not to fill in the hook gap. This would mean using an upward angle when rigging up. Plastic tails can be made almost permanent by wrapping the lead head shank with thread and then putting some super glue between the thread and the plastic.

Peace
post #5 of 11
cast retrieve... repeat...

Use them the same as pork. I prefer a slow steady retrieve however I do mix it up when they aren't falling for it.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeep View Post

. Plastic tails can be made almost permanent by wrapping the lead head shank with thread and then putting some super glue between the thread and the plastic.
Peace

what I use to make them permanent is small plastic wire ties. Tighten them up and snip off the excess. No thread or glue to worry about.
post #7 of 11
I use the 8 inch white gotcha worms. I just thread them up the shank so the head butts up against the jig collar. Friction keeps it from sliding. I guess you could put a drop of glue on the collar if you want but i find it unnecessary. try to thread them straight and inline with the crease on the worm.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shbeachbum View Post

what I use to make them permanent is small plastic wire ties. Tighten them up and snip off the excess. No thread or glue to worry about.
I have tried that and consider it good for re rigging after a bite off of course going to rind might be a better idea when the yellow eyed ones let you know they are around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Nite View Post

I use the 8 inch white gotcha worms. I just thread them up the shank so the head butts up against the jig collar. Friction keeps it from sliding. I guess you could put a drop of glue on the collar if you want but i find it unnecessary. try to thread them straight and inline with the crease on the worm.
Hits and dragging on the sand will pull them down especially after landing one or two fish.

Peace
post #9 of 11
just work it as you would any other bucktail, its another type of trailer, and it does the work itself. I prefer 6'' ones in white of black. They are cheaper, as I bought like 3 lbs of white 6'' ones from worm bar for the price a few pork rind jars. But as mentioned above, stick with what works, no need to change
post #10 of 11
Having never seen Chartreuse pork rind I have several rigged with plastic. I wont last one fish if you find blues, but I have had 3 and 4 fish in a row on a white buck/chartreuse combo a few days back. go with what ever the fish tell you to.
post #11 of 11
Def a saved a couple trips for me last year in murky water, used it with an all Chartreuse Andrus Bucktail's. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwker99 View Post

Having never seen Chartreuse pork rind I have several rigged with plastic. I wont last one fish if you find blues, but I have had 3 and 4 fish in a row on a white buck/chartreuse combo a few days back. go with what ever the fish tell you to.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Main Forum
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Stripers Online Forums › Main Forum › How to work a curly tail on a bucktail?