StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Regional Forums › Massachusetts Fishing › ???Other peoples fish????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

???Other peoples fish????

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
A question for some of you fish reporters. When doing your fish reports, and reporting other peoples catches, why do you do it. Do you ask them if they want the catches they made to appear on the web, do you assume they do, or do you not care about there privacy? Maybe they don't want anyone to know about fish caught. If you feel compelled to make a report.......make it your report......not, I saw x fish caught here, x fish caught here, etc.............. Something to think about..........
post #2 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyO View Post

A question for some of you fish reporters. When doing your fish reports, and reporting other peoples catches, why do you do it. Do you ask them if they want the catches they made to appear on the web, do you assume they do, or do you not care about there privacy? Maybe they don't want anyone to know about fish caught. If you feel compelled to make a report.......make it your report......not, I saw x fish caught here, x fish caught here, etc.............. Something to think about..........

I'm gonna post a pic of you with a fish , if I ever see ya catch one!!!biggrin.gif
post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyO View Post

A question for some of you fish reporters. When doing your fish reports, and reporting other peoples catches, why do you do it. Do you ask them if they want the catches they made to appear on the web, do you assume they do, or do you not care about there privacy? Maybe they don't want anyone to know about fish caught. If you feel compelled to make a report.......make it your report......not, I saw x fish caught here, x fish caught here, etc.............. Something to think about..........

Agreed. I've long been of the belief if you're "not the one doing the cacthing", then it's poor form to report on someone else's success.
Now that being the case, isn't it also poor form, and a violation of someone's privacy to get on a cell phone and dial in the troops when some guy is minding his own business, catching, and you're not?
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_G View Post

Agreed. I've long been of the belief if you're "not the one doing the cacthing", then it's poor form to report on someone else's success.
Now that being the case, isn't it also poor form, and a violation of someone's privacy to get on a cell phone and dial in the troops when some guy is minding his own business, catching, and you're not?

Extremely well put !!!
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_G View Post

Agreed. I've long been of the belief if you're "not the one doing the cacthing", then it's poor form to report on someone else's success.
Now that being the case, isn't it also poor form, and a violation of someone's privacy to get on a cell phone and dial in the troops when some guy is minding his own business, catching, and you're not?

icon14.gif
post #6 of 21

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyO View Post

A question for some of you fish reporters. When doing your fish reports, and reporting other peoples catches, why do you do it. Do you ask them if they want the catches they made to appear on the web, do you assume they do, or do you not care about there privacy? Maybe they don't want anyone to know about fish caught. If you feel compelled to make a report.......make it your report......not, I saw x fish caught here, x fish caught here, etc.............. Something to think about..........

 

 

 

I am surely not looking to be confrontational, Tony.  I'm sure you have good reason to feel the way you do, and I agree on many levels personally.  There is also a side of me that is called an American, where we do not gag our citizens in an attempt to make them comform to our way of thinking, writing or expression.  Bait shops around the globe are guilty on a daily basis of the very act that is upsetting you here in a friendly forum.

 

As a staunch conservative I almost feel like a bleeding heart having to say those words or finding the need to use examples like "freedom of expression" to make my point.

 

I apologize in advance if there was a personal event that prompted you to make this request denying future fish reports, but maybe some folks enjoy it and aren't stupid enough to trek to the exact location where these fish were caught and overfish the spot.  I just don't feel like everyone should suffer because some might not be bright enough to realize that FISH MOVE.

post #7 of 21
Where did they go?
post #8 of 21

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prolineguy View Post

 

 

 

 

I am surely not looking to be confrontational, Tony.  I'm sure you have good reason to feel the way you do, and I agree on many levels personally.  There is also a side of me that is called an American, where we do not gag our citizens in an attempt to make them comform to our way of thinking, writing or expression.  Bait shops around the globe are guilty on a daily basis of the very act that is upsetting you here in a friendly forum.

 

As a staunch conservative I almost feel like a bleeding heart having to say those words or finding the need to use examples like "freedom of expression" to make my point.

 

I apologize in advance if there was a personal event that prompted you to make this request denying future fish reports, but maybe some folks enjoy it and aren't stupid enough to trek to the exact location where these fish were caught and overfish the spot.  I just don't feel like everyone should suffer because some might not be bright enough to realize that FISH MOVE.

 


It didn't seem to me that he was attempting to get anybody to confrom to his way of thinking. I came to this conclusion because he said at the end of his post "something to think about". How does that appear that he is on some kind of crusade? He is simply stating his opinion and trying to get people to consider their position on it. Doesn't seem to be anti American behavior to me.

And anybody doing a weigh in at a bait shop and telling the guys there where he caught the fish knows that it is going to be broadcast. Or if they tell a guy where he is off to when he buys his bait and then comes back in a few hours because he needs more bait and brags about his catch knows it will be broadcast. SO that is much different than a guy innocently catching fish off a jetty and tells nobody about where he was and comes back the next day to find his spot mugged from him because somebody went on a forum and said they saw him catch fish.

And I am guilty of that myself. I have reported on a few threads here when I saw a fish getting caught and this thread did make me think. I won't be doing that any longer. So am I a bleeding heart because I am defending his "freedom of expression"? I fail to see how this thread could have been construed in a way politically either conservative or liberal.

post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_G View Post

Agreed. I've long been of the belief if you're "not the one doing the cacthing", then it's poor form to report on someone else's success.
Now that being the case, isn't it also poor form, and a violation of someone's privacy to get on a cell phone and dial in the troops when some guy is minding his own business, catching, and you're not?

Right On !!! .. That would make that person a "Fish Fink" .... wink.gif
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_G View Post

Agreed. I've long been of the belief if you're "not the one doing the cacthing", then it's poor form to report on someone else's success.
Now that being the case, isn't it also poor form, and a violation of someone's privacy to get on a cell phone and dial in the troops when some guy is minding his own business, catching, and you're not?

I don't think anyone could have said it better. Thanks Bob.
post #11 of 21

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post

 

 


It didn't seem to me that he was attempting to get anybody to confrom to his way of thinking. I came to this conclusion because he said at the end of his post "something to think about". How does that appear that he is on some kind of crusade? He is simply stating his opinion and trying to get people to consider their position on it. Doesn't seem to be anti American behavior to me.

And anybody doing a weigh in at a bait shop and telling the guys there where he caught the fish knows that it is going to be broadcast. Or if they tell a guy where he is off to when he buys his bait and then comes back in a few hours because he needs more bait and brags about his catch knows it will be broadcast. SO that is much different than a guy innocently catching fish off a jetty and tells nobody about where he was and comes back the next day to find his spot mugged from him because somebody went on a forum and said they saw him catch fish.

And I am guilty of that myself. I have reported on a few threads here when I saw a fish getting caught and this thread did make me think. I won't be doing that any longer. So am I a bleeding heart because I am defending his "freedom of expression"? I fail to see how this thread could have been construed in a way politically either conservative or liberal.

 

I am just a bit confused as to the reason why this behavior should be frowned upon?  This is an age of information, we are all here essentially for the same reason, to gain and share information.  I admit I may be completely off base on that observation, and if I am I hope you will open my eyes to the reason any of us are here.  I will openly admit my errors if I am wrong in wondering why someone should reconsider making a post about something they may have seen in their travels. 

 

As for the the whole political thing, I did not mean to invoke partisan reasoning, but urging or strongly suggesting someone to NOT write something borders on censorship without question. (Typically an ACLU topic that I like to avoid)

 

Again, if I am wrong I would be completely willing to admit such.  So could you enlighten me as to why posting what the guy next to you may have caught can do any harm??  Or is it simply an ettiquette thing??  Which I can also respect...  I just want to know the reason...

 

What say you "whatmeworry?"

 

 

 

post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_G View Post

.....
Now that being the case, isn't it also poor form, and a violation of someone's privacy to get on a cell phone and dial in the troops when some guy is minding his own business, catching, and you're not?

Well said. Happens all the time. Happens to me.

These guys know who they are yet see nothing wrong with their actions. Yet these same guys think nothing wrong in placing blame elsewhere.
post #13 of 21
What about the corollary, when you see other anglers getting skunked? I was lucky enough to land two schoolies (within about 20-30 min of each other) on friday night, but other anglers I talked to got the skunk. I got lucky.
post #14 of 21

Well I apologize guys, sounds like you have some known culprits in your area "blowing up the spot."

 

I just can't relate to this problem because I fish offshore.  This would surely upset me as well.

 

Like I said I was not trying to be argumentative, I was unaware because I'm not on the canal.  Having said that, this is the price we pay for living in the age of information.  Take the good with the bad I guess.

 

Though it does beg the question, have you ever seen someone nailing fish at a particular spot and then proceeded to tell your close buddy/brother/spouse asap and try that same area??

 

I'll stop... I get the point !!!!   i'm just of the belief that NO ONE owns a fishing spot(unless it is in your yard)...  When I find one hot spot, you can bet your life I"LL FIND ANOTHER just as quickly!  That is exactly what makes this fun and adventurous.

 

 

post #15 of 21
So a quick question to all who agree with Tony: Do you read online fish reports, since they almost exclusively come second hand?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Massachusetts Fishing
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Regional Forums › Massachusetts Fishing › ???Other peoples fish????