StripersOnline › SurfTalk › How-To Forums › Do It Yourself › cesspool maintenance
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

cesspool maintenance

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
i had the cesspool pumped and the company recommended we flush yeast down the toilet on a monthly basis...any basis to this?
post #2 of 15
Thread Starter 
also, what kind and how much?????
post #3 of 15
The enzymes in the cesspool eat the stuff the yeast activates. We used to have an old maintenance man who would buy a case of Budweiser and pour a can in each toilet and flush it as he said he was cheaper than buying Rid - X.
post #4 of 15
Normally enough yeast and bacteria in septic systems to do what needs to be done unless harmful chemicals have been flushed which you never want to do anyway. Think additives like yeast are generally a waste although probably not harmful either. Regular pumping and generally not abusing it are good enough.
post #5 of 15
Yup I too have a pool o crap,it's for a five bedroom house with 2-1/2 bath rooms we have it pumped by a cucka suckah ever three years and we put 1.5 cups of yeast active powder down each hatch every month.
I guess it helps to keep iregular:naughty: we've had good luck so far.
post #6 of 15
My Father in law was a Master Plumber in NJ and he always said the only thing to go in the tank is something you ate and one yeast package a quarter would keep the bacteria happy and doing their jobs. The septic systems he installed in his 20's and 30's were fine when he died at 83 and had never been pumped. Mostly folks who are used to municipal sewage treatment systems move to the country and continue to flush down what they did in the city (not always what they ate) and that is why pumping is required. The man with the pumping business will tell you pumping is required on a regular basis because that is how he makes a living. A good plumber who knows septic systems is number one in a number two business!
post #7 of 15
He bought a case of Bud and poured a can in each toilet. Was each can of Bud used or recycled before pouring. ;-) ? What happened to the rest of the case? ;-) Can't imagine a couple of cans of canned piss doing the job in a 1000 gallon tank. I could see a Guiness or 2 going down as its more real than Bud but I think something that is more bacteria laden like a scoop of roadkill thrown down the hatch, that would be a better choice. Yep, keep the chems out too. A few pumps here and there are good too. Keeps the sludge from building up and reducing volume for effluent storage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTramcar View Post

The enzymes in the cesspool eat the stuff the yeast activates. We used to have an old maintenance man who would buy a case of Budweiser and pour a can in each toilet and flush it as he said he was cheaper than buying Rid - X.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalter7 View Post

He bought a case of Bud and poured a can in each toilet. Was each can of Bud used or recycled before pouring. ;-) ? What happened to the rest of the case? ;-) Can't imagine a couple of cans of canned piss doing the job in a 1000 gallon tank. I could see a Guiness or 2 going down as its more real than Bud but I think something that is more bacteria laden like a scoop of roadkill thrown down the hatch, that would be a better choice. Yep, keep the chems out too. A few pumps here and there are good too. Keeps the sludge from building up and reducing volume for effluent storage.

There were 8 toilets to a septic tank so it was 8 cans total. It seemed to work, I was there for 8 years and never did it get pumped out and we were there 365 days a year with guests at least 300 days of the year.
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTramcar View Post

There were 8 toilets to a septic tank so it was 8 cans total. It seemed to work, I was there for 8 years and never did it get pumped out and we were there 365 days a year with guests at least 300 days of the year.

Tramcar, I was just poking fun. I wouldn't be surprised if beer would aid if septic tank function.

My wife and I have been here 10 years, new construction. I was surprised after 3 years the tank clogged and had to have it pumped. I found out that the town mandated a filter on the outlet of the tank. The filter was clogged and caused the back up. Anything from the 2nd floor caused the toilet on the first floor to gurgle. Imagine me being here for 3 years and having your septic pumped for the first time and thinking something is wrong. Having been in dwellings that have had septic systems and had never had to be pumped that surprised me on a new house. Lo and behold the filter. The filter was clogged. Had the tank pumped and cleaned the filter. The filter is nothing more than a screen to keep particulate matter from getting into the leech field. Solution: I put screens on the kitchen sinks which I clean periodically. They catch all the food matter. So far no pump in 7 years. But will have it pumped before the yard gets regraded. My parents had a tank and if I remember right only had it pumped 2 or 3 times in 40 years. Having been on a septic system all my life I've always been careful of what went down the drain. That's key.

If a lot of grease, fats and oils go down the drain, it's probably good idea to have the tank cleaned. Don't want the oils to get out to the field and clog it up or reduce absorption.
post #10 of 15
Walter, I figured you were kidding when you listed using the good stuff for beer. I answered your post as it was a way that worked for us and thought it might help others. Unfortunately, you do have to add the beer to the toilet unused. biggrin.gif
post #11 of 15
Never heard of beer ,how ever if we are going away for weekend , i drop about 6 raw eggs in a straight pipeline (take off clean out line cap) to septic tank, had it pumped about 4 years ago so that would make 15 years but only two people so cuts down on soilds,keep leech fiield open and far less problems
post #12 of 15
Flushing a packet of yeast down won't hurt or help. The volume of the tank is normally 800 gallons or more. Rid-X won't help either. Putting some copper in your distribution box may help keep roots out of your nitrification lines but at what harm to the environement. BTW, I worked as an Environmental Health Specialist for 22 years dealing with "septic" systems to restaurants to swimming pools to tattoo parlors. Once helped a local law enforcement agency determine if there was a dead body in an outhouse.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalter7 View Post

Tramcar, I was just poking fun. I wouldn't be surprised if beer would aid if septic tank function.
My wife and I have been here 10 years, new construction. I was surprised after 3 years the tank clogged and had to have it pumped. I found out that the town mandated a filter on the outlet of the tank. The filter was clogged and caused the back up. Anything from the 2nd floor caused the toilet on the first floor to gurgle. Imagine me being here for 3 years and having your septic pumped for the first time and thinking something is wrong. Having been in dwellings that have had septic systems and had never had to be pumped that surprised me on a new house. Lo and behold the filter. The filter was clogged. Had the tank pumped and cleaned the filter. The filter is nothing more than a screen to keep particulate matter from getting into the leech field. Solution: I put screens on the kitchen sinks which I clean periodically. They catch all the food matter. So far no pump in 7 years. But will have it pumped before the yard gets regraded. My parents had a tank and if I remember right only had it pumped 2 or 3 times in 40 years. Having been on a septic system all my life I've always been careful of what went down the drain. That's key.
If a lot of grease, fats and oils go down the drain, it's probably good idea to have the tank cleaned. Don't want the oils to get out to the field and clog it up or reduce absorption.

I think filters on the outlet are customary pretty much every where now. In a properly working tank there is usually no need, the sludge goes to the bottom, the foam goes to the top and the middle should be fairly clear liquid that goes to the outlet to the fields. Sludge accumulation is normal and pumping every few years is required to keep the space between the top of the sludge and the bottom of the foam from getting too tight which eventually leads to an excess particulates getting to the outlet.

I don't think there's any reason to put screens on your sinks, I mean, you got a screen on your toilets and washing machine too? Just pump it every few years. The company that pumps it should be able to tell you what the appropriate schedule should be after they see where the sludge and foam layers are presuming the number of people in the household and other usage remains about the same.
post #14 of 15
JimW, No screens on the toilets or washer. I put the screens on the kitchen sink since dish rinsing before going to the DW usually has some particulate matter on them and figured without them they particulate matter would clog the screen on the outlet of the tank. I think I'm right so far. Have not had to have the screen replaced or cleaned since or tank pumped. Though I'm going to clean it and the tank this year due and excessive use this year. My wife likes to entertain her running friends and have had many gatherings over the last year so who knows what's been flushed.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalter7 View Post

JimW, No screens on the toilets or washer. I put the screens on the kitchen sink since dish rinsing before going to the DW usually has some particulate matter on them and figured without them they particulate matter would clog the screen on the outlet of the tank. I think I'm right so far. Have not had to have the screen replaced or cleaned since or tank pumped. Though I'm going to clean it and the tank this year due and excessive use this year. My wife likes to entertain her running friends and have had many gatherings over the last year so who knows what's been flushed.

You might want to look into a screen for the washing machine outlet. I understand that lint from the wash is a big contributor.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Do It Yourself
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › How-To Forums › Do It Yourself › cesspool maintenance