StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Regional Forums › Bottom Fishing Forum › Blackfish Rigs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blackfish Rigs

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I've always used a sinker loop at the bottom, about 12" up i tie a small dropper loop and a snelled hook on a 10-12" leader.

I've seen a lot of people use a plain dropper loop rig (sinker loop and bottom, 8-10" up large dropper and hang a hook off of it)

What is the advantage of the dropper loop rig over the snelled hook rig? Disadvantages?
post #2 of 14
There's really no reason to tie droppers, IMO. Just use a Belmar rig. Tie about a 12 inch loop via double overhand knot, slide sinker on, then attach snelled leadered hook with perfection loop about 4 inches up from the sinker, and secure with 2 more overhand knots using the sinker.

Droppers aren't the strongest of knots and they are tough to tie correctly, especially in 30 degrees when the wind is howling and your hands are numb. The Belmar rig takes about 30 seconds assuming your top shot is ready to go and your hooks are pre-snelled. It is also stronger since you doubled up the line, whereas the dropper isn't doubled up.
post #3 of 14
What he said.^^^^^
post #4 of 14
I like the dropper rig...except the dropper is for the sinker. I've caught some nice ones with that rig. Its a fact the dropper isn't the strongest knot but its just blackfishing and it is strong enough for the job. I don't think either one is better than the other to be honest....6 of one half dozen of the other to me.

Also a Belmar rig has two hooks not one. biggrin.gif
post #5 of 14
I like a 4/0 Owner cutting point hook snelled on 10-12'' 60lb leader material attached to my 60lb running line via a Grand Bank or standoff knot and placed anywhere from 10'' to 2 1/2 ft above the sinker depending on the bottom structure.When I fish on the north shore with a very silty bottom where your sinker sinks into the silt I use a longer drop to the sinker where rough bottom is it calls for a short drop.Hope this helps.
post #6 of 14
belmar rig.

7 degrees, 30kt NE blow, fever bite. dropper loops not gonna happen.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Nite View Post

I like the dropper rig...except the dropper is for the sinker. I've caught some nice ones with that rig. Its a fact the dropper isn't the strongest knot but its just blackfishing and it is strong enough for the job. I don't think either one is better than the other to be honest....6 of one half dozen of the other to me.
Also a Belmar rig has two hooks not one. biggrin.gif

the traditional belmar rig is one, the stinger rig and what might be referred to as the belmar rig now is the one with the slider. old school is the single hook.
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
can somebody post a picture of the belmar rig they have tied? i have seen 3 different versions. what is the correct belmar rig?
post #9 of 14
I have improved my catches enormously when using what is described here as a Belmar rig tied onto about 10-15' fluoro leader. Except I do better with one hook than two. I also like to use a slightly longer leader on the snelled hook with the perfection loop than most other guys. Might be the way I fish? But if your going to be toggin its a rig to know and use. How you do it will be up to you.

The dropper loop doesn't work anchored on a wreck with a snell because the snell will twist onto the main line -- with two hooks you'll have a mini birds nest. I see guys with the hook snelled directly to a longish dropper with really stiff line like a fluke teaser. I tried it a few times, but didn't fare too well. Might be me, though.

Now if I was only able to get out there more this season shakehead.gif
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxBeetle View Post


The dropper loop doesn't work anchored on a wreck with a snell because the snell will twist onto the main line -- with two hooks you'll have a mini birds nest. I see guys with the hook snelled directly to a longish dropper with really stiff line like a fluke teaser. I tried it a few times, but didn't fare too well. Might be me, though.

Now if I was only able to get out there more this season shakehead.gif
If it won't work anchored on a wreck, will it work anchored on some rock or other structure??
post #11 of 14
It works well when anchored above a pile of old shopping carts, Mick. icon14.gif
post #12 of 14
I knew it...a new knot for anchoring on shopping carts and no one told me till now.
post #13 of 14
Can you give me the exact coordinates for this shopping cart piece?
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxBeetle View Post

Can you give me the exact coordinates for this shopping cart piece?

********** Removed...spot burning. mad.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Bottom Fishing Forum
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Regional Forums › Bottom Fishing Forum › Blackfish Rigs