StripersOnline › SurfTalk › How-To Forums › Rod Building Forum › Installing a reel seat on an all cork tape butt
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Installing a reel seat on an all cork tape butt

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Can a properly fit reel seat be successfully installed on a rod that is currently wrapped and has a seat-less all cork tape butt section... without removing the guides?
post #2 of 9
yes. I would take off some cork tape so the seat is epoxied directly to the blank , the cork tape , if under the seat , will eventually give out. You can also just hold the reel on to the cork tape handle with coasters.
post #3 of 9
you would probably have to get one a size or two larger when sliding on from the butt side vs sliding it down from the top... i would remove the tape from where i wanted the top of it from there down and get the tightest fitting one to fit over the butt and slide it up then glue and re cork tape the butt... i personally would just use a ls7 fuji plate seat and wrap it on over the cork tape and be good to go.....
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dozenraw View Post

Can a properly fit reel seat be successfully installed on a rod that is currently wrapped and has a seat-less all cork tape butt section... without removing the guides?

Kev; If you need a hand with it you have my number. I also have a lot of cork tape left from last season's build's. wink.gif
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Thanks Gary ... I'd want to strip off the existing cork, install the seat and re-install new cork... but do it from the butt end. I had thought that in order to have a proper fit it was necessary to slide a properly sized seat down along the taper from the tip... but perhaps not...?
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dozenraw View Post

Thanks Gary ... I'd want to strip off the existing cork, install the seat and re-install new cork... but do it from the butt end. I had thought that in order to have a proper fit it was necessary to slide a properly sized seat down along the taper from the tip... but perhaps not...?

Nope, there are way's of taking up the slack. Which one of the thousand's of rods you own, is it wink.gifbiggrin.gif is it?
Give me a call tm, afternoon. I'm, taking the day off from fishing, my back is friggin killing me.
post #7 of 9
here is how i would do it.. the way you want.. remove all cork tape, wipe down area after with denatured to get any glue or contaminators off.. get the snuggest seat that will go over the butt.. slide it up where you want it.. 1or 2 wraps of masking tape behind the seat to use as a marker... slide it up well past that and tape it to hold it in place for a few min... build 3-4 tape arbors, slide seat down on tape arbors so it is fairly snug.. put reel on and align it to guides and mark the little notch in the seat threads to the masking tape marker behind the seat with sharpie.... remove reel, slide seat back up.. glue with 30 min 2 part stuff, rod bond what ever... i use 30 min devcon it allows enough time to get it right and work the seat into place rotating it around the tape arbors adding enough glue to get it in there good.. work it all the way down to the tape marker and align the sharpie mark with the notch in the seat threads... then wipe off excess glue with denatured carefully not to move seat and remove mark on tape... let cure and wrap cork tape..
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostfish slayer View Post

here is how i would do it.. the way you want.. remove all cork tape, wipe down area after with denatured to get any glue or contaminators off.. get the snuggest seat that will go over the butt.. slide it up where you want it.. 1or 2 wraps of masking tape behind the seat to use as a marker... slide it up well past that and tape it to hold it in place for a few min... build 3-4 tape arbors, slide seat down on tape arbors so it is fairly snug.. put reel on and align it to guides and mark the little notch in the seat threads to the masking tape marker behind the seat with sharpie.... remove reel, slide seat back up.. glue with 30 min 2 part stuff, rod bond what ever... i use 30 min devcon it allows enough time to get it right and work the seat into place rotating it around the tape arbors adding enough glue to get it in there good.. work it all the way down to the tape marker and align the sharpie mark with the notch in the seat threads... then wipe off excess glue with denatured carefully not to move seat and remove mark on tape... let cure and wrap cork tape..

That's basically how I do it. With the exception of I use either graphite arbors or fiberglass mesh tape. I've had issues with tape in the past. wink.gif
post #9 of 9
i used those methods also but i have never had a regular tape/glue seat fail on me. good preparation and application, strong bond.. i have some rods that have been put through the ringer for close to 20 years including my first rod... hot cars, hot days, submerged under water, countless fish, AK freezing temps even used as a hook to pull me up hills by the reel wrapped around tree limbs.. . i trust them when i build them with tape...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rod Building Forum
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › How-To Forums › Rod Building Forum › Installing a reel seat on an all cork tape butt