New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

pedal or paddle - Page 4

post #46 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyotto View Post
Nice yak Ross - can't wait to see it.

BTW - I wouldn't fish a spot that I'd have to carry my Adventure a 100yds.


Thanks! It's currently passing the south end of Sicily.

That's why I always say the best answer is to own several different kayaks. I mean, you wouldn't own only one fishing rod, right?
post #47 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
What I dont get is worrying about OTHER peoples boats.



You know, we would hardly discuss it except that newbies ask for advice on their first kayak, and then the opinions fly. It can actually be fun if it doesn't get nasty. And if you pay attention, you often learn something.
post #48 of 105
Totally different direction. Unique hull design, but it's designed for stability and linear paddling. Much different design goals.
As for thermoformed, I saw way to much hull erosion with kayak rental shops. I like the weight improvement, but only if I was going to baby the hull. Fiberglass is much more durable and stiffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kross57 View Post
I wouldn't put the Catfish in the same group as the Dorado, Marlin or Stealth Evolution. Too slow. I do think thermo-formed hulls are a great concept. Light, sturdy and not that expensive. Plus the Catfish hull is different, although from what I've heard it does generate a lot of hull slap.
post #49 of 105
That's a chicken and egg problem for sure. Few around so nobody can try them. After everything I read about the them, I imported three before I ever paddled one. It was a risk, but it was the best blind date I ever went on. I thought I really wanted the Skua, but the Dorado was the real winner in overall performance.

It's not really worth ordering only one because of the crating and shipping costs, but the costs go down dramatically as you add additional boats. If I could get a few people who wanted one, I would definitely bring a container over to the Northeast.

Wishful thinking. But if anyone wants to try one, I'm sure I could get the boats out on the water for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kross57 View Post
Roger that. It's just tough when there are so few around.
post #50 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago II View Post
Totally different direction. Unique hull design, but it's designed for stability and linear paddling. Much different design goals.
As for thermoformed, I saw way to much hull erosion with kayak rental shops. I like the weight improvement, but only if I was going to baby the hull. Fiberglass is much more durable and stiffer.


I haven't had a problem yet with hull wear on the thermoformed. Mine are only 5 years old, so time will tell. The Achilles heel on the Phoenix was the hull seam. The newer design has resolved that, but it still plagues the older boats. Glass is definitely easier to fix and keep in good shape.
post #51 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago II View Post
That's a chicken and egg problem for sure. Few around so nobody can try them. After everything I read about the them, I imported three before I ever paddled one. It was a risk, but it was the best blind date I ever went on. I thought I really wanted the Skua, but the Dorado was the real winner in overall performance.

It's not really worth ordering only one because of the crating and shipping costs, but the costs go down dramatically as you add additional boats. If I could get a few people who wanted one, I would definitely bring a container over to the Northeast.

Wishful thinking. But if anyone wants to try one, I'm sure I could get the boats out on the water for them.


Yup, I've never been in the Stealth, just rolling the dice. Lots of good reports from the Aussies, though.

The shipping was not that much. About $1,400 for the kayak, $300 for shipping. A glass kayak at the same price as a Hobie Sport? To me that's a great deal.

I plan to let people try it often, at least if it turns out to be good.
post #52 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross57 View Post
Yup, I've never been in the Stealth, just rolling the dice. Lots of good reports from the Aussies, though.

The shipping was not that much. About $1,400 for the kayak, $300 for shipping. A glass kayak at the same price as a Hobie Sport? To me that's a great deal.

I plan to let people try it often, at least if it turns out to be good.

That is a real deal on the shipping..............
post #53 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross57 View Post
I wouldn't put the Catfish in the same group as the Dorado, Marlin or Stealth Evolution. Too slow. I do think thermo-formed hulls are a great concept. Light, sturdy and not that expensive. Plus the Catfish hull is different, although from what I've heard it does generate a lot of hull slap.

Over 6mph on a gps is slow? How fast does a 12 foot glass kayak go? If you notice Kross I will never comment on a yak I havent tried out myself. I never comment on your Dorado because It would be simply hearsay that I heard or read. Have you paddled the Catfish or even seen one in person?
post #54 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrell View Post
Over 6mph on a gps is slow? How fast does a 12 foot glass kayak go? If you notice Kross I will never comment on a yak I havent tried out myself. I never comment on your Dorado because It would be simply hearsay that I heard or read. Have you paddled the Catfish or even seen one in person?



Barrell, if I thought I had to paddle every boat in the world before forming some kind of opinion, I sure as hell would never have bought my Stealth. I put weight on the reviews of smart people who have paddled them.

I have heard the Catfish has good speed for a 12-footer. Better than most mono hulls of similar length, and great glide. It turns poorly and has mucho hull slap. That's the word. Oh, and its VERY light and stable enough to dance in.

When I said it was slow I was comparing it to glass boats of 15-16 foot. If you really want to know how it stacks up, bring it up to J-Bay. We can race it against a Dorado or my new Stealth, if it arrives in time. That would be fun.
post #55 of 105
Barrel vs Kross challenge would make the drive from Boston to Jam Bay worthy and also make that dreadful sleep out on a tarmac bearable.
post #56 of 105
No way! I will put some young ripped thing in my kayak and let 'em go.

Riddler, I'm old but I'm not senile.
post #57 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross57 View Post
No way! I will put some young ripped thing in my kayak and let 'em go.


Thanks kross; I'm ready!!
post #58 of 105
Barrel & Kross~ I'd be an interested party, especially with the opportunity to try one out beforehand! Possibly more interested in their Supalite actually, based solely on what I've read since 1st seeing this thread last night.....

Does anyone here have firsthand experience on the Supalite?

Thanks!
Dave
post #59 of 105
Dave, the Australians are big buyers of Stealth kayaks. Google Australian Kayak Fishing. They have plenty of first-hand experience.
post #60 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKay View Post
Thanks kross; I'm ready!!


New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home