I think there already is a mandatory statewide inspection every 3 years. Not positive, but thinks so... or else Charlestown and Green Hill are simply having their own based on state recommendations.
post #16 of 33
4/5/11 at 4:57pm
Just a couple points...
* The facts are there regarding cesspools and the damage they do. Anyone that is an advocate of them (or just not changing them out in general) needs to wake up and stop drinking the kool aid.
* If a cesspool needs to be eliminated per DEM, it does not necessarily have to be removed requiring heavy equipment and/or structure or tree removal. Many cesspools are pumped, cleaned, and filled in place.
* There is a loan program through RI Housing called the Community Septic System Loan Program (CSSLP) that provides for low interest (2%) loans for septics, now known as Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems (OWTSs), of up to $15,000.
* The denitrification systems work unbelievable well and have turned MANY formerly unbuildable lots into buildable. Depending on site conditions & system size, prices range from $20k to $45k. The overall benefits overall a traditional system are all there aside from the price tag.
As an environmental professional, I can see the burden it puts on homeowners and it really is too bad. But they really do need to go. The extension is a viable option that to me is reasonable. We all don't enjoy putting new roofs on our houses, but it happens...
Just a couple points..
* The facts are there regarding cesspools and the damage they do. Anyone that is an advocate of them (or just not changing them out in general) needs to wake up and stop drinking the kool aid....
|But I guess us non-eco-professionals are just ig'nant bumpkins....|
|It sounds like folks in the environmental business would rather we all run around in circles with our hands in the air screaming like frightened school girls, while they lobby for legislated forced spending of other people's money without individual evaluation for need (key word) just because one report or one methodology of testing screams armageddon...|
|I'll believe the observations made by folks with their feeet on the ground of isolated areas before I'll believe some blanket mandate regurgitated by the DEM/DEP minions.|