StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Stripers Online Forums › Kayaking and Kayak Fishing Forum › What is the best Fish Finder for a Kayak
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the best Fish Finder for a Kayak

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
I need to blend quality, features and economy into my purchase plan. I have been advised that Hummingbird is a good mfgr...by a good guy that sells Lorance as well... What features are "must haves" ... What Model is the Best Bang for the Buck .... I would be interested in your experiences...

Thanks

King Cod
post #2 of 39
for the yak, i wouldnt go too crazy. i have a pihranna max 170 and it does everything i could want it to. for 100 bucks, you cant go wrong. Im pretty sure that humminbird also makes a combo ff/gps specifically for kayaks. theres a bunch of threads on here if you do a search discussing the options out there
post #3 of 39
I use the m68c by lowrance! It's a compact gps/fishfinder and it works great. It has everything you'll need and I still don't know how to use all the features.
post #4 of 39
if you have an OK brand SOT kayak . the pihranna max with the scupper mount tranducer would be a good choice
post #5 of 39
The Ok ultra 4.7 does not accept the scupper mount transducer. But I run a humminbird 385 ci with GPS on it. Unit is fair price and capable of anything you need, will accept navionics chips also.
post #6 of 39
I bought the cuda 300 for $59.00 on sale at cabelas, simple little unit and easy to install with an in hull transducer mount.

I used to have a cuda 242 ( same as a 300 ) and I never had any problems so I went with the same unit.
post #7 of 39
Any of the $100 FF will work well. If you find one on sale, then that's the one to buy. (Humminbird, Lowrance, Eagle, Garmin)
post #8 of 39
Just make sure when you do buy one it can read arcs. The fish symbols are very inaccurate. It will read a piece of garbage as a fish. You'll have fish symbols all over your screen all day long. Arcs are very easy to read and over time you'll learn the difference if you're reading a baitball, a big fish on the move, a school of fish and so on and so on. Good luck!
post #9 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by passion4fishing View Post
Just make sure when you do buy one it can read arcs. The fish symbols are very inaccurate. It will read a piece of garbage as a fish. You'll have fish symbols all over your screen all day long. Arcs are very easy to read and over time you'll learn the difference if you're reading a baitball, a big fish on the move, a school of fish and so on and so on. Good luck!



Thanks .... Keep the suggestions coming ...

There are too many choices ... I have a desired price of about $200 and a max of about $270 ... B&W is good .. I take it the the higher the Watts out put the better both RMS and Peak to Peak and that the dual beam gives a wider span of detection.... Other that the Race Point Area I expect to do bay, estuary and flats fishing where depth is not a huge issue .. 60 - 70 feet would be the normal max...

I am looking at the Hummingbird 365i Combo 4" Dual beam with speed and Temp... for $270.... I think that is maxing all the important features at a doable ( but a reach ) price....... I would be especially interested in your experience with this mfgr and unit.

Barrel and others have spoken highly of the HBs ... apparently they stand behind thier products ...

Thanks,

King Cod
post #10 of 39
I recently purchased eagle cuda 350 at bass pro shop for $169
be hard pressed to find ff/gps combo for under $200,
still rigging it so no review it,
worth looking into,
post #11 of 39
the power output is a matter of how deep the unit can read. i wouldnt get too tangled up in those numbers, since even an entry level unit can read a few hundred feet. the rms values are more important than the p2p values if you want to compare. rms is the "average" value for the power. one thing to keep in mind is that higher power ratings and color displays will drain batteries faster than less powerful or b and w models. this may or may not be an issue depending on your setup.each brand has their own wide angle, just pick through the specs to get it.
post #12 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraves4410 View Post
the power output is a matter of how deep the unit can read. i wouldnt get too tangled up in those numbers, since even an entry level unit can read a few hundred feet. the rms values are more important than the p2p values if you want to compare. rms is the "average" value for the power. one thing to keep in mind is that higher power ratings and color displays will drain batteries faster than less powerful or b and w models. this may or may not be an issue depending on your setup.each brand has their own wide angle, just pick through the specs to get it.


Thanks ... are you saying that all models or all brands have a wide angle view ???? ... I think that dual band is better than single ... am I on target??? Thanks for the info on power ... I guess in my case less is better...

King Cod
post #13 of 39
I got the Humminbird 385 ci combo. Thing is AWESOME! Accepts hot maps, and is just the right size for a yak. I got mine on sale for 369.00, but I think the B & W one is closer to 275.00? I have it mounted on my OK T15 and I couldn't ask for anything more. It's gonna be put on the rigged jet ski this summer, so we'll see how it fares for that application...
post #14 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mando View Post
I got the Humminbird 385 ci combo. Thing is AWESOME! Accepts hot maps, and is just the right size for a yak. I got mine on sale for 369.00, but I think the B & W one is closer to 275.00? I have it mounted on my OK T15 and I couldn't ask for anything more. It's gonna be put on the rigged jet ski this summer, so we'll see how it fares for that application...


Thanks ...
post #15 of 39
Does Lowrance X50-DS read arcs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Stripers Online Forums › Kayaking and Kayak Fishing Forum › What is the best Fish Finder for a Kayak