StripersOnline › SurfTalk › How-To Forums › Do It Yourself › Running a Gas Line to the House
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Running a Gas Line to the House

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Hey Guys,

I was curious as to whether anybody has ever had the gas company run a line to the house. There is a line on the street and it would need to be run about 50-75 feet to the front of the house. There is a brand new oil furnace in the house so it would just be for cooking and the dryer. I'm curious as to what the costs associated are and if it would be worthwhile. The house is brand new to us and I hate cooking with electric.
post #2 of 22
The Gas Co. here ran it for a nominal fee of $40 or something like that, but it's been 10 or more years.
post #3 of 22
^^^^^
Ditto
The gas Co. will run the line to the house an install the meter from pretty much nothing.
post #4 of 22
call the gas co and have them give you a price, they're not as friendly about running gas lines as they used to be.

tell them you plan on switching heater, hot water heater, cooking and maybe even a backyard grill. might even want to put in a heated pool down the road.
post #5 of 22
Yep I agree w/ ted, also think you may want to switch to gas fired boiler in the future, gas grill in the yard no more running or paying to have the propane tanks filled.
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Good info thanks guys. I would switch the heater in a heart beat but its less than a year old it seems to be very high end. I'll keep that info from the gas company.
post #7 of 22
As said above tell them what you might be adding in the future. They want your business. When I need my meter replaced they also came and relined my line because of the age. I don't think it cost me anything. They said that they would replace any shrubs that died that they had to move. Get the biggest line they can run. You may not have a lot of demand now but in a few years it may change. Also. If you run a line in the basement from the meeter to the back of the house run the largest one you can. I ran one that was the proper size for what I had and closed up the ceiling and now want to add a grill and the line is to small.
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Good info thanks guys. I would switch the heater in a heart beat but its less than a year old it seems to be very high end. I'll keep that info from the gas company.


Give the gas company and whom ever installs the piping inside the house ALL OF THE INFO! Let them know your future plans on possibly switching your appliances and furnace over to gas as they need replacing. This is very important so the piping size meets your future needs. Leaving out any info could cost you more in the future if the piping has to be removed and upsized. Also, piping inside the house is not one size fits all. They will determine the proper size of the piping based on the BTU's required by the equipment and the specific gravity of the gas.
post #9 of 22
Can a propane tank be plumbed long distance similar to natural gas?

We don't have natural gas service in my area but the garage has a hot dawg propane heater, and a big big propane tank out back to feed it. The idea would be to also run a line underground to the house in the future so I can stop cooking with electric.
post #10 of 22
Nat Gas just came to my neighborhood this summer. The gas company is running it to the house and installing the meter for free. Due to some type of fire safety code, we were all told that they will not run it to the back of our house. Front and side only... I offerd to pay, but they still refused to run it to the back.
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougH View Post
Can a propane tank be plumbed long distance similar to natural gas?

We don't have natural gas service in my area but the garage has a hot dawg propane heater, and a big big propane tank out back to feed it. The idea would be to also run a line underground to the house in the future so I can stop cooking with electric.



propane can be run pretty far from tank to house, higher pressure line to house then a regulator before it enters house to knock down to house pressure.
how far from tank to house? talk to tank co it should not be a big deal.
post #12 of 22
here on the cape it'll cost 500.00 to pipe it from the street[12'] to the house..national grid gas co. now..nothing is free.not here anyways...then you need a lisc. gas contrator to sign the form..before they'll even start, which can take weeks to get them to do anything about coming out.
post #13 of 22
Hey, once u get your gas, run a pipe out to the deck and get a natural gas grill-- best move i ever made! (....just dont' forget to turn it off..... )
post #14 of 22
I just went through the whole gas conversion last year, we changed our heating from oil to gas.

We ran about 30 feet of line. The local gas company charged $1,200 for the first 100 feet of line installed and an additional charge for distances over 100 feet. This is pretty much a fixed cost. The costs vary by town, I don't know why that is. The next town over, cost was $700 for 100 feet.
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by starr View Post
Give the gas company and whom ever installs the piping inside the house ALL OF THE INFO! Let them know your future plans on possibly switching your appliances and furnace over to gas as they need replacing. This is very important so the piping size meets your future needs. Leaving out any info could cost you more in the future if the piping has to be removed and upsized. Also, piping inside the house is not one size fits all. They will determine the proper size of the piping based on the BTU's required by the equipment and the specific gravity of the gas.


Excellent advice. Relative to propane piping distance, in September of 2009 I had a 175 foot line installed in my yard. It was a ****** to do, as the slit trencher could'nt handle even the smallest rocks. I had to rent a small excavator to dig the line, and you should have seen the mess it made Oh well, the job is done and everything is working great.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Do It Yourself
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › How-To Forums › Do It Yourself › Running a Gas Line to the House