StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Stripers Online Forums › Main Forum › Can I load a jointed 17A bomber? Other quick questions too...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can I load a jointed 17A bomber? Other quick questions too...

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hey folks!

I am not sure if they exist but has anyone seen a jointed 17A bomber in blurple? I would kill to have one but in the meantime I have a question about the new 16A blurple jointed I have.

I don't have a clear bomber as a reference but can these be loaded up like a mag darter to carry a bit more weight? 16A jointeds are only 1 oz and cast like crapola. My chick scratch is a full 2/3 ounce heavier and only an inch longer.

Can/should I try to load the 16A blurple somehow or should I try to put larger trebles on it? Would it hurt the casting due to wind resistance?

I do have a longer 11" black jointed eel and a jointed Creek Chub I should probably just use but blurple or black 16a straights have always been productive and tossing anything larger then 7 inches for me at least can be tricky.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance guys...
post #2 of 13
Thread Starter 
Anyone want to take a shot? Can bombers that are dark be loaded? How do the chambers run? Shot or bb's?
post #3 of 13
I think a redfin would be a better plug to load. it also comes in similar color schemes as the bomber. I have very good success with bombers and knowing where you fish I think you should not be concerned with distance. Dont get caught up in the mind frame that the fish are out further than you can cast. Unless you see an all out blitz 15 feet from the end of your cast. GL
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool77 View Post

I don't have a clear bomber as a reference but can these be loaded up like a mag darter ...


This is actually first time I hear about loading the mag darter
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
I think a redfin would be a better plug to load. it also comes in similar color schemes as the bomber. I have very good success with bombers and knowing where you fish I think you should not be concerned with distance. Dont get caught up in the mind frame that the fish are out further than you can cast. Unless you see an all out blitz 15 feet from the end of your cast. GL


Very good advice!
post #6 of 13
How much oil can you put into a mag darter and not effect the action?
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by misha View Post
This is actually first time I hear about loading the mag darter


Ther was a howto on youtube where a gentleman showed how he put a bit of tiny shot in the tail for casting although personally 2.3 oz casts fine for me.

Again...I wish I have seen a 17A jointed blurple which has the mass I need.

I am tired of wind knots with my bomber. My 1oz pencils/etc have a design that facilitates great casting...jointed bombers are the least well designed for casting. My 17a jointed casts surprisingly well. I am not trying to necesarily get further on a calm night...I want less hassles casting during moderate winds with a jointed 16A. The lure just flops, doubles up its hooks, ties around the leader or gives me a wind knot if I am not careful. Even with a low projectory I find I struggle with the lighter jointed bombers. My creek chub black jointed pikie casts great as well.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by misha View Post
This is actually first time I hear about loading the mag darter


Sorry...not a Yozuri...I meant the SS zig zig darter.
post #9 of 13
what i do with my 16a jointed bombers is take off the back jointed section of the plug, put a curly tail or a sluggo, fin-s,6"-8" ,watch how it swims!!, like a lg. eel , and when you stop your retreve stays horizonal , jointed plugs can't stay straight when stopped, back section always falls not natual
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lureman View Post
what i do with my 16a jointed bombers is take off the back jointed section of the plug, put a curly tail or a sluggo, fin-s,6"-8" ,watch how it swims!!, like a lg. eel , and when you stop your retreve stays horizonal , jointed plugs can't stay straight when stopped, back section always falls not natual


I have seen that...maybe I'll try that but I am a little worried about ballance.

I'll figure it out.

matt
post #11 of 13
whether you can load a plug or not?

Load up a few, show them to the fish, and see what you learn.

Experience is the best teacher, and who knows, maybe you'll find a new secret weapon.
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyCT View Post
whether you can load a plug or not?

Load up a few, show them to the fish, and see what you learn.

Experience is the best teacher, and who knows, maybe you'll find a new secret weapon.


I was just curious if anyone puts anything in them to help with casting like they do with Yozuri's. I can ballance the action but it may be trial and error.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool77 View Post
Sorry...not a Yozuri...I meant the SS zig zig darter.


I can somewhat see why you may want to load this plug (whether to get it to dig deeper or cast further) however messing with mussos darter which could very well be one of the best plugs ever made is like painting a mustache on the mona lisa. I think that plug digs just fine the way it is if used at montauk or the open beach (maybe not deep rips like inlets) and its one of my better casting plugs as well. Ide leave it alone. As far as the bomber never tried loading a jointed one becasue I never looked at it as a casting plug anyway. Just my .2 cents and I hope this helps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Main Forum
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Stripers Online Forums › Main Forum › Can I load a jointed 17A bomber? Other quick questions too...