StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Community Forums › The Town Tavern › Olympic Sports?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Olympic Sports?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
How exactly does one become a Luger? Or a Bobsledder or any of the wierd sports you see?

I personally have never met anyone who "Luge's". I never grew up asking my friend.."Hey..wanna hang out?" and heard back....."No...I gotta go practice my Luging...."

Guess I really missed out.
post #2 of 15
Live in a cold place, and have a death wish.
post #3 of 15
From what i've seen, most of the Americans come from the Northern states. I think these sled sports are very big in certain parts of Europe
post #4 of 15
you get into any olympic sport the same way.......proximity as a kid. You get to play whatever it is......and you move up.......and if your good enough you get to the top of that sport.
post #5 of 15
my cousin is married to a guy who luged. basically lived at Lake Placid for years.
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokes View Post
How exactly does one become a Luger? Or a Bobsledder or any of the wierd sports you see?

I personally have never met anyone who "Luge's". I never grew up asking my friend.."Hey..wanna hang out?" and heard back....."No...I gotta go practice my Luging...."

Guess I really missed out.


But you can relate to the Bi-athalon

Every kid wants to sled in the snow.
post #7 of 15
growing up as a kid i always wanted to be an olympic curler. knew at an early age that i couldnt hack it so i pursued ice hockey instead. that didnt really work out either
post #8 of 15
A long island guy in our firm was a bobsledder. He was an almost-pro football player, guess he's fast as he was recruited for the winter games in the early 90s. Sprint, sit & duck was his game.
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokes View Post
How exactly does one become a Luger? Or a Bobsledder or any of the wierd sports you see?



I personally have never met anyone who "Luge's". I never grew up asking my friend.."Hey..wanna hang out?" and heard back....."No...I gotta go practice my Luging...."



Guess I really missed out.



My coworkers daughter became a bobsledder by trying out. She was a track athlete in college when they were recruiting, so she tried out, and made it. She spent several years as a pusher/brakeman before geting a shot at driving.



IIRC, AT&T was running promotions a few years beck advertising tryouts for USA Luge, targetting kids 12-15.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by makorider View Post
A long island guy in our firm was a bobsledder. He was an almost-pro football player, guess he's fast as he was recruited for the winter games in the early 90s. Sprint, sit & duck was his game.


Hershel was from Ga.
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Hmmmm...I must of missed all the Luge/Bobsled tracks in my area growing up?

Same with Speed Skating. Lots of ice here, but never met a Speed Skater.

Maybe because it's gay.
post #12 of 15
What, you didn't hock-a-luggi? Down south we call it spitting.
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by longcaster View Post
What, you didn't hock-a-luggi? Down south we call it spitting.


I liked the kids that tied a car hood to a long rope and pulled it through a corn field. South's version of sleds.

Not as fun when it catches an edge and cartwheels, cutting you in half though.

THAT should be an Olympic Sport.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokes View Post
I liked the kids that tied a car hood to a long rope and pulled it through a corn field. South's version of sleds.

Not as fun when it catches an edge and cartwheels, cutting you in half though.

THAT should be an Olympic Sport.



thye dont say go, or fire a gun......its starts with

comptitor: hey hold my beer

announcer: ok he is ready here we go......oh god call 911........
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokes View Post
Hmmmm...I must of missed all the Luge/Bobsled tracks in my area growing up?

Same with Speed Skating. Lots of ice here, but never met a Speed Skater.

Maybe because it's gay.


When I lived in Norway, kids would go out on the frozen lakes to speed skate. They would drive a truck with a plow onto the ice to clear an oval for practice and competition. My first pair of ice skates were speed skates.

We also x-country skied to school on days where the sun only rose above the horizon for a few hours a day.

The school that I went to was next to a lake. One afternoon if was very windy and they advised the students to stay off the lake. We didn't listen, and were blown 20+ miles to the other side of the lake

I also went hunting for hares with my grandfather in the cow pastures.

You wonder why Norwegians are so good at speed skating and the biathlon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Town Tavern
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Community Forums › The Town Tavern › Olympic Sports?