StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Regional Forums › Bottom Fishing Forum › blackfish hooks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

blackfish hooks

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
Whats is the best size blackfish hook.
post #2 of 43
The one that's best suited to the size bait and size fish you're after. Sometimes they go hand in hand, other times they don't.

I use from size 4 or 5 Virginia and 1/0 octopus for small baits like fiddlers and Asians to 6/0 octo/baitholder for soup crabs and big fish. Go to hook now though is a 4/0 Aki or 5/0 SSW.
post #3 of 43
2/0 and 3/0 owner cutting points when I'm trying to put the meat in the boat. I suppose they are the same as the gami 3/0 octopus. When I've had my fill I switch to a 4/0 or 5/0 gami baitholder and a whole crab.
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Nite View Post
2/0 and 3/0 owner cutting points when I'm trying to put the meat in the boat. I suppose they are the same as the gami 3/0 octopus. When I've had my fill I switch to a 4/0 or 5/0 gami baitholder and a whole crab.

great minds thing alike, LOL i have been using the same. the only difference is my DE or MD trips where i beef up to the 5/0 or 6/0 Owner Aki hooks when looiking for that monster tog. thanks to nybayman sam for the advice on the aki's... look up his md record fish to see what those hooks can pull in...
post #5 of 43
Size 3 mustad virginia hook
post #6 of 43
4/0 Gami octo 4x strong!
post #7 of 43
I broke a Gammi baitholder 5/0 while taking it out of the fish......TimS says they will break your heart. Looks like I'm gonna be in search of something new. Maybe give them aki's a try.
post #8 of 43
mustad viginia's in 3/0-5/0 depending on bait, and size of fish. never had one let me down, while i've seen a few broken gami's.
post #9 of 43
Try the 4x strong guys,I can see the difference in thickness of the hooks!
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesider975 View Post
I broke a Gammi baitholder 5/0 while taking it out of the fish......TimS says they will break your heart. Looks like I'm gonna be in search of something new. Maybe give them aki's a try.
keith, never seen that... must have been caught on a wreck, but at least you got the fish in, u no...
post #11 of 43
The Gami's are OK, just as long as you do not use the baitholder models. They tend to break where they make the notches in the shank for the bait holding barbs.

I've been using VMC live bait 5/0's (like TimS) for the past couple years, but have been bending them some of late. Not on fish, but when I get hung up. Makes it harder for me to foul hook tog, you know.

Tried the Gami 5/0 Octopus on the Mary M trip and like those. Especially with larger crab baits. No bending.
post #12 of 43
I've not had any issues with the baitholders especially 4 and 5/0's...they're just blkackfish.
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
keith, never seen that... must have been caught on a wreck, but at least you got the fish in, u no...



Its happened more then once. I like the Gami octopus becuase of the offset eye. Most of the time I just steal whatever's in Kieth's box

Last trip to Cabelas I picked up some Owners becuase they seemed alittle thicker. Haven't had a chance to use them yet though.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Fish View Post
The Gami's are OK, just as long as you do not use the baitholder models. They tend to break where they make the notches in the shank for the bait holding barbs.

I've been using VMC live bait 5/0's (like TimS) for the past couple years, but have been bending them some of late. Not on fish, but when I get hung up. Makes it harder for me to foul hook tog, you know.

Tried the Gami 5/0 Octopus on the Mary M trip and like those. Especially with larger crab baits. No bending.

That's exactly where mine broke.....can't have that happen . The fish I caught went in the box but nothing near the size of what I get down south. I will try the VMC hooks and the Aki. Scotty, the one snag I had earlier, I changed out the hook when I tied on the PROPER rig
post #15 of 43
i started experimenting this season with 1/0 gami octopus hooks, i love them, it definitly seems as though the tog chew better with the thinner wire hooks. got more hits and fish on them then on 2/0, 3/0 or 4/0. which used to be my standard. i haven't even bent one on a fish yet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Bottom Fishing Forum
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Regional Forums › Bottom Fishing Forum › blackfish hooks