StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Regional Forums › Massachusetts Fishing › Legal length of a knife blade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Legal length of a knife blade - Page 3

post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTownFisher View Post
I believe the law refers to a blade on each side of the knife.


What I was referring to Btown was a knife that doesnt have two full edges sharpened. Was hoping that by having a partly serrated edge my knife would then escape being classified under the laws in Mass as "double edged". Mass has every right to outlaw knives like stilettos, switchblades, or types of military knives made for the sole purpose of killing. This isnt one of them but its not that far from it in looks either, unfortunately its also so old it predates the time when dive knives cane with a blunt tip and therefore far less threatening in appearance. Its an old Cressi Norge, must be roughly 40 years old now.

I suppose if need be I could always take the edge off the upper since its never really used, only sharpened since it was there to be sharpened. Heres a pic, overall blade length is 5 3/4 inches.
525
post #32 of 47
What if it's dull?

I bought one at Bananas a while back, but used it in Alaska (where just about anything short of nukes is allowed, just ask ex-guv Sarah). And they call Mass a progressive state.

-bd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_G View Post
You can walk into Bananas in Wareham and walk out with a razor sharp machette for under $20. Based on that, I doubt there's any length limit.

In Ma, you have to register your machette with the local police, but not your guns.
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdowning View Post
What if it's dull?

I bought one at Bananas a while back, but used it in Alaska (where just about anything short of nukes is allowed, just ask ex-guv Sarah). And they call Mass a progressive state.

-bd


Well just anything about short of a nuke is allowed up here too.
Yeah, dull is what I meant by taking the edge off the upper. It just surprises me that a statewide law would outlaw "all types of double edged knives", since a drop point hunting knife(just like mine but no serrated edge) is rather common and its also, or was, somewhat common for hunters to sharpen the first inch or so of the upper edge for when gutting a deer.

I guess in the end I just have to remind myself that it's Massachusetts.
post #34 of 47
Don't sharpen that false edge!
post #35 of 47
When I am up in Alaska fishing, I now carry my 454 Casull in a shoulder holster, a 8" CRKC survival knife and my machette behind my back. I walk into and out of stores, banks and lodges with it.... no one ever gives a second glance, unless they're a tourist. Twenty eight years of going up there and never had to use them yet, but have had the guns pulled out many times in preparation for bears that wouldn't back down right away.
post #36 of 47
When I fish, I bring a 13 inch filet knife/ sushi knife to cut my chunks. Do you think i'll get in trouble if they saw it?
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
When I fish, I bring a 13 inch filet knife/ sushi knife to cut my chunks. Do you think i'll get in trouble if they saw it?


No. It's legal.
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAQ View Post
No joke, in Massachusetts you have to register your machete with the local Police department. What a screw ball state we live in.


Got a link to that law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAddict View Post
From what I read at a few Massachusetts cop sites is that there is no limit on blade length set by the state. (So you're right. Confusing the way it is written, though. Just take out that comma and add an AND )

So, The length of knife blades (folding or straight) is purely set by the local municipality and not enforced by any state law according to those sites I mentioned. ie MassCops.com, Officer.com. I'll take their word for it.

So before I walk into Tedeschi's at the rotary with a 9" filet on my belt I should probably check with the local codes? Nah.


Generally not a good idea to count on cops to know the law.
post #39 of 47
Jesus that's a wepon if you get stopped and asked by a Trooper or cop " do you have any wepons with you today Sir ? "

post #40 of 47
i have mine on a neck lanyard i think it like 7" total and 3.75" blade but its a fishin knife, so my 14" filet knife has to be left at home so how do i filet a fish with a mini blade lol wait imagine that fileting a 30lb striper with a 2" knife lol
post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
i have mine on a neck lanyard i think it like 7" total and 3.75" blade but its a fishin knife, so my 14" filet knife has to be left at home so how do i filet a fish with a mini blade lol wait imagine that fileting a 30lb striper with a 2" knife lol


Is that in CT?

Even NYC, which has a 4" length limit, allows an exception for hunting and fishing knives (provided that you're hunting and fishing , or enroute, when you have one).
post #42 of 47
well in ct blade length is caculated in the palm of ur hand more or less here is an example if im not mistaken fixed blades have diff regs in ct



if this was a locking blade this would be borderline. also they can use a string to determine actual blade length ie follow the bend all the way down, on some knives adds up to 1/2"-1" length
post #43 of 47
what if the cop has really small hands??







Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
well in ct blade length is caculated in the palm of ur hand more or less here is an example if im not mistaken fixed blades have diff regs in ct







if this was a locking blade this would be borderline. also they can use a string to determine actual blade length ie follow the bend all the way down, on some knives adds up to 1/2"-1" length
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper View Post
Got a link to that law?


http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/st01/st01384.htm

I forgot that they wanted people to register the machete every year (at a price of course).
post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAQ View Post
http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/st01/st01384.htm

I forgot that they wanted people to register the machete every year (at a price of course).


It doesn't look like that bill was ever enacted into law. I have the 2008 text of MGL ch. 269 sec. 10(b) and it doesn't have anything in there about machetes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Massachusetts Fishing
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Regional Forums › Massachusetts Fishing › Legal length of a knife blade