New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DEC Fines?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Did a quick search and couldn't come up with any information. Are there set fines for certain fish, how many inches under, number of shorts?
I can't seem to find anything about actual fine amounts...

Thanks!!
post #2 of 17
Once you get the sumnmons and the DEC officers and you and the judge are at the bench you will find out how much your fine will be
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
I gotcha.. Has nothing to do with me, but I got into it with a friend who said he would keep a short and I told him if he gets caught he'll have some big fines.. BUT.. I couldn't give him numbers, so we just dropped it.

I tell ya... I fished for over 6 hours last Sat. and caught about 10-15 Fluke in the 18-20 range and threw every one back.. My friend had the same amount.. Finally paid off at the end of the day when we got 4 nice keepers.. It's more about the time on the water to me.. If I get skunked, no big deal.. Some guys would have kept the whole lot of 18-20 inchers without blinking an eye..
post #4 of 17
haha I found myself in a similar situation. I guess they keep it this way so that they can adjust it as they see fit for each situation.
post #5 of 17
f.y.i, on average its about $250/ fish.. certain species will cost more.
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-bunker dunker View Post
f.y.i, on average its about $250/ fish.. certain species will cost more.


I like that! Thanks.
post #7 of 17
i know someone who works at courthouse.. last year had guy in there caught with 15 out of season blackfish, i think fine was approaching 4000
post #8 of 17
its a federal crime . its more of a big deal than most people think it is . if the D.e.C. wants to. they can impound your truck and your fishing equipment. . if you don't answer the summons the next time you are driving your truck you will be stopped and handcuffed and brought to jail . they put a warrant out for you for not responding to court to answer the summons. .it can become very expensive and you will have a record after this. it stays on file even though you are not finger printed when given the summons. the fine can range to how many shorts or fish out of season you have. if i observed someone taking numerous shorts i would turn them in .
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockbox View Post
its a federal crime . its more of a big deal than most people think it is . if the D.e.C. wants to. they can impound your truck and your fishing equipment. . if you don't answer the summons the next time you are driving your truck you will be stopped and handcuffed and brought to jail . they put a warrant out for you for not responding to court to answer the summons. .it can become very expensive and you will have a record after this. it stays on file even though you are not finger printed when given the summons. the fine can range to how many shorts or fish out of season you have. if i observed someone taking numerous shorts i would turn them in .

lockbox, its tough, you have to be absolutely positive, otherwise the DEC just doesn't have the resources to patrol.. during the fluke off season i took a party boat outta captree and the captain said they couldn't afford to fuel up their patrol boats.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-bunker dunker View Post
lockbox, its tough, you have to be absolutely positive, otherwise the DEC just doesn't have the resources to patrol.. during the fluke off season i took a party boat outta captree and the captain said they couldn't afford to fuel up their patrol boats.


Many boats out of captree have been fined already for short fluke,DEC has been working on there own boats & fishing right next to everyone & you would not even know it.They also drive with the coast gaurd,& watch with binoculars.I had 1 stop about a hundred yds away & wait for me to release a short fish.They are out there,follow the rules or you will pay.
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfrat View Post
Many boats out of captree have been fined already for short fluke,DEC has been working on there own boats & fishing right next to everyone & you would not even know it.They also drive with the coast gaurd,& watch with binoculars.I had 1 stop about a hundred yds away & wait for me to release a short fish.They are out there,follow the rules or you will pay.



awesome news srfrat! that i did not know. those captree captains are scumbags especially the red boat.
post #12 of 17
I have never commited a crime nor will I
the fines are not as bad as you think. the tickets are violations not crimes simply pay and go. If you have one fish over the limit this fish gets you two tickets 1 over limit and 1 short of regulation. each is $50 making a total of $100. I don't know where the line is but, if you have so many short fish over the limit you move into the misdemener class of crimes. welcome to jail and a record! Anyone remember the guys in queens with the pickup truck full of weakfish? the dec boys were writing for hours
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaphankyardbird View Post
I have never commited a crime nor will I

the fines are not as bad as you think. the tickets are violations not crimes simply pay and go. If you have one fish over the limit this fish gets you two tickets 1 over limit and 1 short of regulation. each is $50 making a total of $100. I don't know where the line is but, if you have so many short fish over the limit you move into the misdemener class of crimes. welcome to jail and a record! Anyone remember the guys in queens with the pickup truck full of weakfish? the dec boys were writing for hours



simply pay and go and be a poaching scumbag!
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-bunker dunker View Post
awesome news srfrat! that i did not know. those captree captains are scumbags especially the red boat.


Why would you believe a word out of their mouths?



JC
post #15 of 17
I gotta say that I have seen more high profile owner/capt/crew approved fluke poaching on a Captree fluke boat than anywhere from Montauk to Sheepshead Bay. Surprised me. Never ever on the Laura Lee though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Long Island/NY Fishing