StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Stripers Online Forums › Main Forum › Mono to braid conversion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mono to braid conversion

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I spooled up my Avet SX with 20 lb mono and it held exactly what the manufacturer said. Then I did the Powerpro braid conversion (100 lb = 20 mono) well, I don't need 100 lb but I thought maybe 65 braid would be good and that with 300 yards I would need backing (should hold 375 yards of 16 lb mono = 300 yards of 65 lb braid) but 300 yards overflowed the spool. I dropped down to 50 lb braid and 300 yards filled the spool up whereas it was supposed to hold 650 yards of 12 lb mono = 50 lb braid. Not so. I observed the same thing on several other reels. At least after I load them once, I know.
post #2 of 17
I've noticed that the bastards do lie. My spiderwire stealth, for example is 8lb test but is advertised to be of the same diameter as 1.5lb mono. Not so. It's more like 3lb mono. Don't know what ancient monofilament line they use to compare to, but it's not THAT thin.



Besides, power pro is flat so it can't even get a proper comparison to mono. They probably measured it's flat side. That's why I switched to spiderwire, not that it's that much better.
post #3 of 17
30lb pp is 13lb mono, 40lb pp is 15 lb mono, 50pp is 17lb mono learned that after spooling all my rods with it over the years make sure you pack it tight real tight so it doesnt dig in to the rest of the line when you hook up!!
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
Yes!, I agree with these. I have a Shimano with capacity 12 lb 160 yd and a spool of 150 30 braid fills it up. Similarly my Avet holds 300+ of 17 mono and about the same of 50 braid. Those are good numbers. And after that there is a BIG jump to 65 braid, you can feel it with your fingers. I estimate (from filling a spool) that 65 braid = 100 mono.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Oops, that was stupid, I meant to say 65 lb braid is equivalent to 30 mono (it is obvious that 100 lb pp is way thicker than the 30 mono is says on the box). So where I could put 300 yards of 30 lb mono, I naively expected to put 300 yards of 100 lb pp, but got instead 300 yards of 65 lb pp that filled up the spool.
post #6 of 17
Congratulations--you've discovered what many of us learned years ago--the "mono equivalency" listed on the label of almost every major brand of braid has as much in common with reality as the message in a fortune cookie.

The only one that ever came close was original Whiplash.

And FWIW--Power Pro is actually one of the better brands in this regard.

Spiderwire Stealth and Fireline are among the worst.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch Jigger View Post
Congratulations--you've discovered what many of us learned years ago--the "mono equivalency" listed on the label of almost every major brand of braid has as much in common with reality as the message in a fortune cookie.

The only one that ever came close was original Whiplash.

And FWIW--Power Pro is actually one of the better brands in this regard.

Spiderwire Stealth and Fireline are among the worst.



Can't agree more
post #8 of 17
There are so many diameters of line both mono and braid. On my VS150 rated for 340 yards of 12lb mono I can use a thin mono like Platypus Super 100 and get 500 yards of 12lb mono and 330 yards of their 20 lb mono on it. Every brand will differ a lot.
post #9 of 17
It's been my experience that reel manufacturers are wildly optimistic when it comes to stated capacities.
post #10 of 17
yup thanks on the congrads buddy
post #11 of 17
It makes it so much easier and convenient to work out line capacity if you get used to talking and relating to line diameter instead of breaking strain.
post #12 of 17
You don't need to put 300 yards of braid on a reel unless you are fishing for pelagics and on an SX it is just wasted money.

Put enough backing so you can get 150 yard of braid max plus your topshot on the reel.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangrove Jack View Post
It makes it so much easier and convenient to work out line capacity if you get used to talking and relating to line diameter instead of breaking strain.


I'd rather see it standardized throughout the industry, using spool volume. Then consumers could make meaningful comparisons. It wouldn't take long for charts correlating volume to capacity based on diameter to appear.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandeux View Post
I'd rather see it standardized throughout the industry, using spool volume. Then consumers could make meaningful comparisons. It wouldn't take long for charts correlating volume to capacity based on diameter to appear.



They already have.

http://www.norre.dk/linecapacity.html
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangrove Jack View Post


Very interesting!

I would still like to see spool capacity stated in cubic whatevers, so that one could compare apples to apples.

What the manufacturer says a spool will hold, and how much it actually will hold are often at odds. Then, factor in the fairy tales peddled by the line manufacturers, and it all becomes meaningless nonsense.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Main Forum
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Stripers Online Forums › Main Forum › Mono to braid conversion