StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Regional Forums › West Coast Fishing › Crab Snares
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crab Snares

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Hey everybody,

Has anyone ever tried making their own crab snares and if so, do you have any advice? I'm working on a bunch over the holidays. Seems like the stores only carry the crappy danielson ones or the green box ones. I find the snare portion on these to be way too stiff. Additionally, they are so large that and heavy that they make casting somewhat tedious and inaccurate. Thanks for any info.

-SF
post #2 of 22
if you're ever in pacifica, the shops there carry them for about $5. The smaller ones, not the rubix cubes.

also, do a search for one of mooks posts about crab. he makes a sweet looking one. i can't find that main thing he uses, so i stick to the store bought.
post #3 of 22
post #4 of 22
I couple of the young guns on the site make crab snares.
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch View Post
I couple of the young guns on the site make crab snares.


I'm getting pretty good at this search thing. Try this link crab snare 2

I'd love to get one if anybody gears up to make em. It'll probably take me a case of beer to figure it out, maybe more.
post #6 of 22
When you use these small snares, do you just throw them, wait ten minutes and reel in fast, or will you actually see your rod tip give away a crabs presence working the trap?
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkoff View Post
When you use these small snares, do you just throw them, wait ten minutes and reel in fast, or will you actually see your rod tip give away a crabs presence working the trap?

Yes!
.
..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
..
.\ nor I should of said both.
Some guys will wait till the crab tries and pulls the bait but many prefer the I can't wait any longer jerk and reel.
post #8 of 22
make ur own easy enuff to do everything you need is available at most osh or ace or neighborhood hardware use bike inner tubes for the webbing alittle forethought will shape the snares to your tastes
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Hey thanks for the advice guys. I can't wait to give it a shot.
post #10 of 22
Some guy I ran into on the beaches from Montara or Moss Beach area..the guy always fishes with his daughter makes the blue ones that you can find around town..Can't remember his name..
post #11 of 22
Hello, I know I'm kind of reviving an old post. This is my first post here and I've been crabbing in Pacifica for about 4 months now. I've been buying the snares off the pier and I'm not really into cutting and bending chicken wire but I wanted to be able to replace parts for it. So here are the replacement parts I've used, 10 gauge copper wire for the S clip attached to strips of intertube (I lose those things so fast, I'm guessing due to the waves and the sand and constant stretching from the bait) I bought the blue .065 diameter weedwacker line. What I'm having trouble with is the crimping sleeve. I tried buying this aluminum tube but I haven't figured out how to cut it without crimping it. I tried using a Dremel cutter but that takes way too long. Any Ideas?
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegotcrabs View Post
Hello, I know I'm kind of reviving an old post. This is my first post here and I've been crabbing in Pacifica for about 4 months now. I've been buying the snares off the pier and I'm not really into cutting and bending chicken wire but I wanted to be able to replace parts for it. So here are the replacement parts I've used, 10 gauge copper wire for the S clip attached to strips of intertube (I lose those things so fast, I'm guessing due to the waves and the sand and constant stretching from the bait) I bought the blue .065 diameter weedwacker line. What I'm having trouble with is the crimping sleeve. I tried buying this aluminum tube but I haven't figured out how to cut it without crimping it. I tried using a Dremel cutter but that takes way too long. Any Ideas?


A tube cutter?
post #13 of 22
A hacksaw?




or


Crimping sleeves?

post #14 of 22
Just go buy a few jinki crimps at Hi's in size j or h or what ever size to fit the mono your using
post #15 of 22
Thanks for the replies. It looks like I will be buyin those Jinkai Crimps. I guess I thought I'd be saving more money by using making my own but 14 cents a piece isn't too bad.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: West Coast Fishing
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Regional Forums › West Coast Fishing › Crab Snares