StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Community Forums › The Town Tavern › The Home Depot: Husky tool warranty?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Home Depot: Husky tool warranty?

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
What are your experiences with the Husky warranty? In practice, is it the same as Craftsman's no questions asked, "...if for any reason you're not satisfied..." warranty?



I know that's how it used to be at The Home Depot. But now that warranty seems to have changed. Though different places say different things.



The Husky site for example, says this:



"The Husky Lifetime Warranty guarantees your product against defects in material and workmanship. If a product is defective, Husky will replace it free of charge. Simply return the product to any The Home Depot store."







I bought a few small tool sets the other day and when I got them home and looked at the back, I saw a warranty sticker - typed in the most tiniest of fonts - saying this:



"If you are not satisfied with your Husky product for any reason, return the product to any The Home Depot retail store with a receipt indicating proof of purchase..."







"Receipt"?



What the **** kind of ******** is that? Needing a receipt = No Warranty as far as I'm concerned.



--- I'm buying several identical sets of tools 'cause I can't find any of the ones I already have...



"Receipt"?
post #2 of 36
i can't remember the process i went through at the store that led me to calling husky...

it was an impact socket, called them read off the serial number and they mailed it out... this was 4 years ago building my... jeep...
post #3 of 36
Go with Craftsman. Kmart even carries Craftsman now. Home Depot is goofy about returns while Sears will exchange a broken tape measure with a refurbished 1 with no receipt.
post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper View Post


"If you are not satisfied with your Husky product for any reason, return the product to any The Home Depot retail store with a receipt indicating proof of purchase..."



Yes, but... did you try taking it back anyway? Maybe they would've honored the warranty without the receipt. You don't know unless you try.

With so many stolen tools (and other merchandise), I can readily understand why some stores would insist on a receipt. It's always a good practice to hold on to them for a reasonable time, at least. You never know when you might need them.
post #5 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
i can't remember the process i went through at the store that led me to calling husky...

it was an impact socket, called them read off the serial number and they mailed it out... this was 4 years ago building my... jeep...


It was probably because they didn't sell the socket individually, only as part of a set.

When I was first looking into how well they honor there warranty, years ago, I read numerous reports that were identical to yours...I considered that to be a positive sign that they honor their warranty. Even if it would be somewhat inconvenient to have to wait.
post #6 of 36
You can't imagine some of the scams they pull on stores like this.

Steal something and return it for a refund. Steal something and sell it on the streets or trade it for drugs. There are tons of scams that people try to pull on stores.

That warranty is priced into the product. They're hoping people lose tools before they break them but if enough of them get stolen, they can't cover the cost for occasional warranty replacement.

Unfortunately, that's how it works. Because some people are criminals, you're now treated as a criminal until you can prove otherwise. I don't agree with it but they had to take action to curb the theft.
post #7 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arno View Post
Yes, but... did you try taking it back anyway? Maybe they would've honored the warranty without the receipt. You don't know unless you try.

With so many stolen tools (and other merchandise), I can readily understand why some stores would insist on a receipt. It's always a good practice to hold on to them for a reasonable time, at least. You never know when you might need them.


These are brand new tools that I just bought, haven't even used them yet.

If I was trying to return new tools for a cash refund, then I could understand them wanting a receipt. But I'm just talking about their warranty policy for exchanging a tool that broke...

And I've been known to break a tool from time to time.

Take for example the impact grade Torx Bit Socket....That I twisted in half like it was a Tootsie Roll, using just a hand wrench.

The guys at the store couldn't believe it...Never seen it happen before............I'm special.
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharooster View Post
Go with Craftsman. Kmart even carries Craftsman now. Home Depot is goofy about returns while Sears will exchange a broken tape measure with a refurbished 1 with no receipt.

kmart sell craftsman tools now because they own sears.
post #9 of 36
I had an old Craftsman screwdriver I was using as a chisel to hammer off my muffler because I coudn't find a chisel, the tip broke off the screwdriver and the handle was mushroomed out were I was beating on it, took it back to Sears and got a new one, no questions asked.
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper View Post


These are brand new tools that I just bought, haven't even used them yet.



Yes, capper - but what I asked you was... "did you try taking it back anyway? Maybe they would've honored the warranty without the receipt."

Never mind for a moment that the warranty says "...with a receipt indicating proof of purchase." I'll bet you a coffee and a muffin that they'll replace it without your receipt. After all, we're not talking about a big budget item here. Weigh that against customer satisfaction.

Point being... you don't know unless you try.
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
kmart sell craftsman tools now because they own sears.




Cool.It makes the tools easier to get.
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post


kmart sell craftsman tools now because they own sears.



Mike - I think it's a bit more involved than that. I believe Sears Holding Corporation is the parent company of both Sears and Kmart.
post #13 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arno View Post
Yes, capper - but what I asked you was... "did you try taking it back anyway? Maybe they would've honored the warranty without the receipt."

Never mind for a moment that the warranty says "...with a receipt indicating proof of purchase." I'll bet you a coffee and a muffin that they'll replace it without your receipt. After all, we're not talking about a big budget item here. Weigh that against customer satisfaction.

Point being... you don't know unless you try.


Well....That's what I was asking in the first place. What's their warranty "in practice", as apposed to on paper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper View Post
What are your experiences with the Husky warranty? In practice, is it the same as Craftsman's no questions asked, "...if for any reason you're not satisfied..." warranty?


I haven't broken any of their tools yet, and I'm not going to break something on purpose, so I don't have anything to exchange.
post #14 of 36
I think the old "made in USA" Husky tools were good, but the China stuff is junk. Many years ago, Home Depot was running a campaign to get "Craftsman" users to switch to Husky. If you had a broken craftsman tool, they'd trade you a new Husky tool for it, on the spot. Well, I was in Home Depot right after that deal ended and the guy in the tool section was throwing out all the broken craftsman ratchets, wrenches, and screwdrivers. I asked him if I could have them and he said "sure." As I was leaving with about 50lbs broken tools, the guy asks why I wanted broken tools. Then the light went off in his head. He had a few expletives about why he didn't think of it, but he was pretty cool about me getting a great deal. I drove right to sears and got hundreds of dollars worth of new stuff. As far as the Home Depot warranty; they gave me a tough time replacing a screwdriver that I had mangled. They did it, but it wasn't easy.I'll stick with Craftsman. Best bang for the buck out there.

Valentine
post #15 of 36
I bought a Husky tool set at a garage sale and found the 1/4" ratchet defective. It looked like new. I went to my local Home Depot and they replaced it for free w/o a receipt! It did sound like it had to be a current Husky part number though, which it was. Paid $20 for the Husky tool set and a bag of like new Craftsman wrenches so the 1/4" ratchet at $9.95 just paid for 1/2 the set.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Town Tavern
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Community Forums › The Town Tavern › The Home Depot: Husky tool warranty?