Originally Posted by Qtiep
I'm dying to catch a snook. Tried real hard in Mexico. We found a fresh break that fed into the ocean. Nada. Was not sure what to throw. GMS what is the best way to target them? Day/night? Structures/Sandy Beach? Lures on bottom or top? Slow or cranking it? Thanks.
Exist many ways to target them, it depend of the conditions of the fishing zone:
1. Sandy beaches: Very early in the morning or in the sunset time, using lures.
2. Night time with live shrimp in mangroove channels or near structures
3. Structures with jigging method day or night.
4. River mouths very early in the morning or sunset time, using lures.
5. Casting lures in the border of mangroove channels
6. Trolling with lures near the border of the mangroove channels or behind river mouths.
7. Cast to the border of the mangroove channel, use the countdown method with Rapala Countdown lure, then retrieve the lure softly or with stop & go method.
8. Use varible type of lures to test different depths, explore the water collumn, this is the key of success.
9. Stop & Go / Continuous movements / Variable speeds / Slow speed / all are perfect to target snooks.
10. The lures are important:
* Bucktail jigs with curl tail (soft plastic) 1/2 oz, 3/4 oz, 1 oz
* Minnows like Rapala X Rap 10, 12 or 14
* Soft Shads with internal weight or armed with jigs.
I think the best place for your first snook is Florida because they protect them and exists more quantity of snooks and the probability are high.
MÃ©xico and central AmÃ©rica (including Costa Rica) January thru May, in the summer season.