StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Regional Forums › Massachusetts Fishing › License to use eel traps?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

License to use eel traps?

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
Do you need a license in mass to get eels to use as bait? I'm thinking of trying this with the eel prices. Any suggestions? I'll be doing this out of Eel River in Falmouth, MA. Thanks Guys!
post #2 of 36
Here is the DMF page for finfish regulations: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recre...ex.htm#finfish - check out 'note #1' " Subject to regulation by the Division and local community. Consult local regulations"

Looks like town of Mashpee requires a shellfishing permit: http://www.ci.mashpee.ma.us/Pages/Ma...lerk/Shellfish

Since you are down the Cape - you should check with your local shellfish warden or town hall to see what they want to tax you.
post #3 of 36
SHHHHH... just do it- use big minnow traps- the eels will be your "bycatch".

They like horseshoe crabs- and fatty meats- bacon is good but expensive- try suet- like for the birds.
post #4 of 36
Mmmmmm. Fatty Meats....
post #5 of 36
to use horseshoe crabs for bait in the commonwealth of mass as it is also reguired by law to have a permit for eels. Some might not agree with the rules , but that is the way it is and there are reasons for it being that way. Also be aware of the legal minuim size one can keep
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler #1 View Post
It is illegal to use horseshoe crabs for bait in the commonwealth of mass as it is also reguired by law to have a permit for eels. Some might not agree with the rules , but that is the way it is and there are reasons for it being that way. Also be aware of the legal minuim size one can keep


Is this something new? I saw the guys who fish the snail pots cruising the the shallows scooping the Horshoe crabs up with a metal rake last year.
I said bait for the snails?
He said yep.

Horse shoe crabs have come under a heck of alot of pressure in the last 20 years or so, the difference in their numbers is dramatic and obvious to anyone who pays attention to them.

I would be pleased to learn that this is true. Not legal for bait anymore, but this is the first I've heard of it. Something new this year?
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler #1 View Post
It is illegal to use horseshoe crabs for bait in the commonwealth of mass as it is also reguired by law to have a permit for eels. Some might not agree with the rules , but that is the way it is and there are reasons for it being that way. Also be aware of the legal minuim size one can keep


I have a horseshoe crab license and I sell the to conch fishermen.
There is a steady market for crabs for the conch guys from the draggers also.

I don't know where you are getting your info- but it's totally wrong.

From-http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/comme...2cmr6.htm#6.34

" Horseshoe Crab Management
(1) Permit. It shall be unlawful for any person to take, land or possess more than six horseshoe crabs (Limulus polyphemus) per day for any purpose without a regulated fishery permit for horseshoe crabs issued by the Director. Licensed pot fishermen using horseshoe crabs as bait may possess more than six horseshoe crabs without a regulated permit, provided their documented source is a wholesale or bait dealer.
(2) Reporting. Each holder of a regulated fishery permit for horseshoe crabs or a scientific collecting permit shall file a monthly catch report on forms supplied by the Division. Failure to report by the fifth day of each successive month shall be grounds for suspension or non-renewal of the permit.
(3) Dealers. Wholesale Dealers and Bait Dealers who purchase horseshoe crabs from licensed fishermen shall register with the Division and record purchases on forms supplied by the Division. Failure to report purchases by the fifth day of each successive month shall be grounds for administrative action.
(4) Minimum Size. (reserved)
(5) Quota. The Director may set the annual horseshoe crab commercial quota according to state allocations by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission and any adjustments necessary to offset previous year overages.
(6) Notice. When 100% of the annual quota is reached, a notice of fishery closure shall be filed with the Massachusetts Register and made available to all horseshoe crab regulated fishery permit holders.
(7) Limit. It shall be unlawful for any licensed horseshoe crab harvester to take, land or possess more than 1000 horseshoe crabs during any 24 hour period beginning at 12:00 P.M.. This limit shall not apply to horseshoe crabs held in frozen or cold storage by licensed conch or eel fishermen or bait dealers.
(8) Closed Days. No horseshoe crabs may be taken for any purpose at any time on Saturday or Sunday.
(9) Closed Areas. The Director may close any area to the taking of horseshoe crabs provided:

(a) A majority of the members of the Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Commission approve, and;

(b) A notice of closure has been filed with the Massachusetts Register stating the rationale for the closure, the duration of the closure and a description of the area to be closed, and;

(c) All permit holders and dealers are notified.
(10) Biomedical/Research.

(a) Harvesters collecting horseshoe crabs exclusively for use by the biomedical industry for the manufacture of limulus lysate or sale to a permitted scientific institution for research purposes must obtain a special permit limited to that purpose.

(b) The holder of the biomedical special permit shall not be allowed to obtain a permit for bait harvest.

(c) Horseshoe crabs harvested for biomedical or research purposes by harvesters licensed under 322 CMR 6.34(10)(a) which are bled and released alive in the area of capture or used for display or research shall not be counted against the annual quota established by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, but must be reported to the Division by the harvester and the company or institution.

(d) If a biomedical company or permitted scientific institution chooses to purchase horseshoe crabs from persons licensed to harvest horseshoe crabs for bait, or from bait dealers, the company or institution shall keep records sufficient to show the number and source(s) of said horseshoe crabs, including the harvester or dealer and harvest area. Horseshoe crabs purchased from bait harvesters or bait dealers must be reported to DMF by the harvesters or dealers and counted against the annual quota if harvested in Massachusetts.

(e) Horseshoe crabs purchased by a biomedical company from bait harvesters or bait dealers may be returned to the harvesters for use or sale as bait, or returned or sold to a bait dealer, at the discretion of the biomedical company.

(f) Horseshoe crabs which are imported from other states for biomedical purposes shall be counted against the quota of the producing state or returned to the producing state for release, according to established rules and regulations of the state of origin."


I don't see bait being illegal mentioned in there......
post #8 of 36
correct as long as you have a PERMIT it is legal, just like using an eel trap one needs a PERMIT
post #9 of 36
In Bourne, you need a recreational shellfish license to run an eel pot. You can put in a maximum of 3 pots to take eels for non-commercial purposes. There is no closed season or daily limit, but there is a minimum 6" length limit. There are other regs on the type of floats and the markings needed on them and where they can be placed. The resident permit is $35, and it's $175 for non-residents.

I'm sure the regs in Falmouth are similar. Check with the town DNR.
post #10 of 36
Sandwich we get local charges for permits. Well on most any ways.
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler #1 View Post
correct as long as you have a PERMIT it is legal, just like using an eel trap one needs a PERMIT


No no no- you can have up to six crabs and there is no permit required for chub traps or to keep eels if they are a "bycatch".

Horseshoe Crab Management
(1) Permit. It shall be unlawful for any person to take, land or possess more than six horseshoe crabs (Limulus polyphemus) per day for any purpose without a regulated fishery permit for horseshoe crabs issued by the Director

Ya wanna keep going ?
post #12 of 36
i have a large minnow trap randy, and i get eels in it every once in a while. its sweeeet. so i guess its legal if the eels are your by catch.
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecod19 View Post
No no no- you can have up to six crabs and there is no permit required for chub traps or to keep eels if they are a "bycatch".

Horseshoe Crab Management
(1) Permit. It shall be unlawful for any person to take, land or possess more than six horseshoe crabs (Limulus polyphemus) per day for any purpose without a regulated fishery permit for horseshoe crabs issued by the Director

Ya wanna keep going ?


ill take your bait. why are you telling people to skirt around the law? if you need a permit to take eels, you should have a permit, right??? didn't you come on here a few weeks ago screaming about the draggers in the sound, and now you are advocating people cross the line..why? because it is for eels and not squid?

i don't get it...if you are a law abiding citizen, you shouldn't have any quams about getting that permit. its 35 bucks at the most. good luck to the guy who wants to pot his own eels cause they ain't around like they used to be.

so for the record....get a permit if you want to pot eels. save the chub pots for the chubs.
post #14 of 36
And how many of you have a bass permit?

If you want to talk about crossing the line.......

How many of you obey the speed limit?
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyclammer1122 View Post
ill take your bait. why are you telling people to skirt around the law? if you need a permit to take eels, you should have a permit, right??? didn't you come on here a few weeks ago screaming about the draggers in the sound, and now you are advocating people cross the line..why? because it is for eels and not squid?

i don't get it...if you are a law abiding citizen, you shouldn't have any quams about getting that permit. its 35 bucks at the most. good luck to the guy who wants to pot his own eels cause they ain't around like they used to be.

so for the record....get a permit if you want to pot eels. save the chub pots for the chubs.


Theres a big difference between a guy taking a few eels and 50 draggers using 3/4" mesh dragging the sound right up to the beach for 2 weeks.
And there is no law being "skirted", if you use a chub trap- period.

If the draggers had been allowed tyo do what they wanted- it would have terrible repercussions for everyone- if that guy catches a few dozen eels as bycatch- think you'll even notice? I doubt it.

And who ever said I was a law abiding citizen?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Massachusetts Fishing
StripersOnline › SurfTalk › Regional Forums › Massachusetts Fishing › License to use eel traps?