We lose the power a lot at our new farm location due to overhead utility lines running down a very small tree-lined dirt road. Anyway, I don't mind the power outages too much as it is a chance to sit down and relax.
We do have to keep the freezers running for our beef and pork however, and it would be nice to run the well.
I bought a Craftsman 2500 watt generator with very low hours for short money. I know its small, but its not intended for heavy use...just a light or two, two very efficient freezers, and occasionally to fill the pressure tank for the well.
Power goes out yesterday and its the first chance to run the generator. D'oh! Well is 220V. Damn. We have a shallow well with a jet pump.
The thing that threw me off was that I borrowed a friends generator a while back, medium-sized Honda unit, which I am pretty sure only had 110. I didn't even check, just plugged it in and was off to the races with the well. Yesterday, before I realized my error, my little generator got way bogged down from the 220.
So I have two questions- A.) Did I hurt the generator? and;
B.) The pump manual says that the pump can be quickly rewired to 110. What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing this? Loss of power? Well pump is 1.25 hp. It seems generators with 220 are muy expensivo. Do I have any other options?
Thanks for any input.