How I tie a Snake Fly

Rate this topic

Gilbey

Mark R, to spin two different colors like bottom white, olive top simply start with white on the underside of the hook. Same pencil sized pinch of hair you normally would use. Hold the hair, lay your two holding wraps over the middle line of the hair and then instead of releasing the hair and allowing it to spin around the shank splaying the hair, continue to hold the hair and pull down locking down on the thread. Pull tight and it will cause the hair to flair. Then maintain the hair and put in a few more locking wraps, being careful not to let go and allow the hair to spin to the topside of the hook. Next take olive and put it on the topside of the hook repeating the same process of not letting go of the hair until it's secured tightly to the hook. Alternate colors and topside/bottomside of the hook all the way up the shank. When it's done, as long as you pack the hair with you fingers or with a tool towards the back of the hook (again same process just pushing backwards and keeping the hairs tight together) you won't notice the alternating tie in points it will just be olive over white. Hope that helps. Write to me if you have a problem. Eric

Mark, here's a pic of one done with alternating colors, if it helps. This is a remake of the Bob Lindquist peanut bunker fly. One other tip is when you come through the hairs with the thread towards the front of the shank and you make a few turns in front of the hair, to help push the flared hair backwards, don't use too much thread. Or make alot of wraps so that it helps push the hair towards the rear of the fly and then after the thread has done it's job, back some of the thread wraps off the shank. This will keep the distance small between the two clumps of alternating hair colors and will allow the second hair color to push right back into where the first color would have been, had you not held it tight, and allowed it to spin. Doing snake flies bumble bee style is cool too. I've used black and olive and loved the results. Fish like it too. Just tie in alternating hair colors allowing them to spin around the shank all the way up. Again, let me know if you have any questions, hopefully I can help you. Eric

christenspic16.jpg

Great post - thanks! I was trying some of these last night but my scissors must be dull - it was impossible to cut the belly hair except when I cut from back to front. I will pick up some new scissors this weekend and give it a shot.

As a new tyer - you can post as many of these threads as you want. Very informative and helpful!

• 3 months later...

Oh come on Steve- that's not it at all.

Well maybe a little. tongue.gif

Actually I was tying up some more for myself the night before and something was going wrong so I returned it to the top to see what I was missing. Found the errors of my ways and tied up some good ones that night to get ready for the fall. (Still not as good as Gibey's but hey... one day maybe wink.gif )

Actually I should thank you for the bump.

I just put my order in (SWF) for the missing ingrdients. Once I get set-up after the move, this is going to be my project.

I am thinking about doing a white one with with some blue herl or maybe a blue grizz saddle to give it the mullet coloring we think the fish care about.

will post pics as soon as one is done.

>>>------------->

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...