43 replies to this topic

#31 petegray

petegray

Elite Member

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 2:02 PM

I've not done a weighted nor a bendback versions...'ought to work though!
This one gets tossed into an outflow/sluce and tumbles into the MZ (Mugging Zone)...
A&B (Assault and Battery) to follow...
'let the phracas begin!
mmelted mmono eyez and some coarse hair (or anything else that receives 96.9 WTKK) antennai/feelerz...
(disregard the large mono loop...I was going to do a weed guard but later decided otherwise...artistic license...
palmer on exotic chicken pheatherz (giant astazzz would probably work too...) and buzz-cut the top...
apply the "don't-be-so-sili-skin" carapace and wrap gently with mono thread...
'wait patiently for the DAZE of summer...
present to a Striped phocus group on da phlatz of your choice...

#32 JerryCapeCod

JerryCapeCod

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 4:27 PM

Thank you! I'm going to try this one. Enjoy the tying tonight.

Jerry Sutelman

#33 CapeCrusader

CapeCrusader

Elite Member

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 5:41 PM

sick looking work petegray.
thx for the recipe!

#34 Genty

Genty

• BST Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationUK - The Lake District

Posted March 24 2009 - 6:13 PM

Ultra Shrimps, or this one which i tied up a few years ago, and has taken everything over your side of the pond (except Permit) from Bone fish to Tarpon...Mind you no fly i have ever chucked at a Permit has ever been successful

I originally tied it for atlantic salmon over here, and like permit, they haven't shown the slightest interest in it either

Genty

#35 striperrams

striperrams

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 2:00 PM

Geez you guys...nice work all! Those are nice flies. I think I posted this shrimp awhile ago...pretty easy to tie, and it caught fish on the flats. Peach or whatever color crystal chenile, tan grizzly hackle legs, mono eyes, ultra hair overbody.

#36 rob snowhite

rob snowhite

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 8:57 AM

my crayfish is the same that i use for shrimp, just change colors based on grass/sand bottom:

my other pattern is a simple white closuser with magic marker bands, this one is more of an impressionistic approach based on the image of a shrimp than its features

#37 aweiss4428

aweiss4428

1,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 9:22 AM

pics not showing cap'n.

#38 petegray

petegray

Elite Member

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 2:20 PM

sili-skin free with a Tuffeley enhanced carapace...

again...'almost tyed in a weed guard but decided to go with a less busy look...
and...'almost trimmed the tail short until I saw how the long "wrong way" hairz added an interesting insinuation in the fly drowning test tank...

#39 bonefishdick

bonefishdick

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 11:05 PM

Just a little side note, it seems I get to say this more and more but again, "back in the day" when I tied a lot for trout when we used to make our shrimp flies we used to cut the shell back backs out of clear plastic straws.

Worked great.

The Tug is the Drug

#40 Bwilson1278

Bwilson1278

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted March 28 2009 - 6:12 AM

This is something I learned to do in high school. The only thing that i would suggest is using Chinelle or Estaz for the body rather then the strands of crystal Flash. This proved to be deadly in early spring south shore of LI around the marshes.

[img=

Materials

• Hook: 34007 1/0 bent slightly to shape
  • Thread: Clear, fine monofilament
  • Eyes: Nickel plated with black pupils for fly fishing -- Large beadchain for bucktailing
  • Body: Either pearl Mylar tubing, pearl Glitterbody, or pearl Krystal Flash, Chinelle or estaz

• In order to get a full body with Krystal Flash, I recommend using at least six full-length strands wrapped around the hook shank, wrapping the hook only from the barbell eyes (tied at the bend of the hook) back to the hook eye.
  • Shell: Either pink, olive green, or grey Krystal Flash.

Steps

[IMG]http://www.************/fly/patterns/IMAGES/ggshrimp4.gif]1: Bend the eye of the hook back, so that it is in line with the point. Place it in the vice and tie in the barbell eyes at the bend. They should be placed just about in line with the barb.
.[img=2: Tie in at least six full strands of pearl Krystal Flash. You may substitute Glitterbody, Krystal chenille,or any other flashy, pearl-colored material. Taper the body from the back of the barbell eyes down to the eye of the hook. Try to end the body material somewhere in the middle of the shank, leaving about one-half inch of material hanging in order to give the pattern a “leg effect.†Bring the tying thread to the opposite side of the eyes for the next step.

[IMG]http://www.************/fly/patterns/IMAGES/ggshrimp2.gif]3: The shell is created on the front side of the eyes, leaving about 3/8- to 1/2-inch of material overhanging the bend of the hook. This must be wrapped tightly, being careful not to break the thread.

Hold the material up so that you can work your thread back to the other side of the eyes. Two winds of the thread should be enough to get you there. Now hold the material down on the hook and wrap it with a couple of turns, then hold the material up again and repeat the process, working your way towards the eye of the hook.

[IMG]http://www.************/fly/patterns/IMAGES/ggshrimp5.gif[/IMG]

Each segment should be no wider than about one-quarter of an inch. Tie it in at the eye of the hook and cut the material long, leaving about one-quarter of an inch beyond the hook to flair and look like a tail.

You can make the shell as heavy or thin as you like, and also make the flies as large or small as you need to match the hatch. I carry a variety of colors and sizes, especially when the weakfish and fluke are in. When the bluefish are in I just carry a lot

#41 Chris Newsome

Chris Newsome

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted March 31 2009 - 9:01 AM

A few more... these will be in Angelo Peluso's new book SW Flies of the South East & Gulf Coast.

Ghostly Grass Shrimp

Surface Shrimp

#42 Hoop_NJ

Hoop_NJ

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted March 31 2009 - 10:28 AM

Hey Chris, beautifully executed flies as usual. What did you use to form the carapace of the ghostly? Is it liquid applied or a sheet product?
Thanks everybody for posting their crustaceans, it is an area I would like to explore.

Hoop
"All the downtown ladies call him tree-top lover and the mens just call him sir"

#43 Bonefish79

Bonefish79

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted March 31 2009 - 1:25 PM

Interesting thread here. I went through a phase a few years ago, tying and fishing shrimp flies, and never caught a thing on them ('course, I can't catch a fish on a Deceiver to save my life, either, but that's just something I've learned to deal with). I've tried them on stripers, trout, reds, bonefish, but no deal. I still carry them in my box, though.

Chris, that Surface Shrimp is cool, I may do up a few of those. There's a smallmouth stream near me that's loaded with crawfish......

#44 Chris Newsome

Chris Newsome

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted April 02 2009 - 8:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoop_NJ
View Post

Hey Chris, beautifully executed flies as usual. What did you use to form the carapace of the ghostly? Is it liquid applied or a sheet product?
Thanks everybody for posting their crustaceans, it is an area I would like to explore.

Hoop

The carapace is tuff fleye core material... allows for the bent back look of a shrimp.

Chris