Winch

The Official! "Okay whose ready to take the darter leap?" Thread

471 posts in this topic

I looked at a small old gibbs and I didn't see any weight, just posted the photos so everyone can see. all these darters are screweyes, maybe thru wired darters have a different weighting? biggrin.gif

I've been making these little darters lately. I had some at the food fling so you might have seen them there. This is the latest batch. I gave most of them away at the SRSA Annual Dinner Saturday night. They are cedar and they are weighted to 1-5/8 oz when finished.

ldahtahs.JPG

I have a kit for this darter in the auction. It's item # 26 Here's a pic..

dlits.JPG

I always thought that darters would be very tricky to make correctly and consistently so I put off trying them for years. When you get right down to it, they are really very simple. You just need to make one that you like and then make a template and a fixture to hold them securely so you can reproduce the same profile consistently. You (at least I) can't cut these angles the same by hand without some kind of guide. Jenty posted up a good one and there are a couple of others in the FAQ that helped me develop my own.

As careful as I am to maintain consistency, I have never made 2 that swim exactly the same.

Maybe that's what I like about them cwm12.gif

Digger

NIB, I think Cookie was serious about throwing you off the jetty if he don't get that one back. icon25.gif

I just turned 2 dozen more bodies for them yesterday. You can have one, but I gotta get a NIB plug for it. You can even pick the color kiss.gif

Digger

digger, don't forget the old man over here in Lakewood biggrin.gif

Your popper is ready for clearcoat...... icon14.gif

Winch,

Good luck. They are actually a lot of fun to build. Here's few shots of a couple I made last year.

johne_plugswap2.JPG

JohnE_Digger_Darters.JPG

And the first ones I ever made a few years ago.

john_e_darters4.JPG

And lastly, these are from the darter swap we did last spring. From L or R: Me, PaSurfer, Tagger, Nebe, bassholl, lifishinvt, and keeperreaper

DSCN0201_2.JPG

John E - You got any reports on how all those swim? I've got one of those green/white PASurfer ones, it's got a nice action. How do the others go? My theory is the action is mainly in the lip size and that smaller is better on the lip. When I make the lip a lttle bigger, my darters start doing barrel rolls on even a moderatly fast retrieve.

Winch - I make mine out of rock maple and I cut the angles on the head on a router table using jigs I made to get the angle right. After I cut the angles, I use a coping saw to cut the notch, and yes it is a tiny bit different each time.

Somebody posted a how-to thread once showing cutting the lip on a band saw, but I don't have a band saw.

I've been building a workbench all winter, I go to get that done so I can get back to the plugs.

Winch - another thing. I think a darter should have a fairly skinny butt. Darting requires that it shake its butt back and forth, and with a skinny butt, there's less water resistance.

I haven't fully researched this with prototypes though.

Ya got the ones that kamikaze straight for the deck zoooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm

Then ya got the 2-6 footers that just sway like half the crowd on thames street after they close out the gin mills,

at 3am.

I like em all, except the ones that are like logs redface.gif I make logs crying.gif

Saltator,

They all swim and have the conditions that they work best. As you are finding out, some work great in a light current yet roll out when the tide really starts to move. Others, don't do to much unless the water is really moving. Keep experimenting and you will be amazed at what you will find out. And yes, the length of the lip does detemrine how well a plug will hold in a rip. So will the width, head slope, hook placement, etc.

Nice work and observations John, When the layman looks at a darter the see the basic look and think, "Simple looking enough plug" But when you get down to it a darter can look and react differently by suttle changes. Each aspect should be looked at and understood.

I just finished two darters that I am calling guestimates proto's. Meaning I guess what would make them swim and will test. I already figure they are doomed for two reasons one is type of wood I used. Redwood and it's bouyancy. The plugs nose looks in bucket test to ride too high and I will be surprised if they dig. Second is weight distribuation I added tail weight and belly behind the hook weight, using the bouyant redwood I think my thought should of been a little weight in front of the belly hook to cause the front to dig. Once the finish dries I'll cast them and see what reaction I will get. There are other things I percieve wrong with them but one step at a time. Do any of you front weight the darter or is heavier wood a better suggestion?