Cleaning lead?

Rate this topic

FISHNFOOL

I just throw everything into the pot and heat it up. When it melts down I skip off any and all slag and discard it. Any non burnt pieces, like metal clips from wheel weights are also skipped off and discarded. Some times paint, plastic , or rubber is attached to the metal but it all burns off in time and is skipped off.

Just make sure you melt the lead outside in a good well ventilated spot. The fumes can kill you.

If you are wanting to use the tackle as is, do as bernzy suggests. Soak it in vinagar for a bit. Take it out and rise with warm water. If you are remelting, follow wishing's advice and just skim the crud off. Definitely do it outside. I would also wear a respirator.

Jigman

Have never cleaned a mold yet. Before you pour in them for the first time, make sure to smoke them. By this I mean take a lit candle and hold it under the cavities of the mold to make it blackened. This will help with getting a smoother pour. After a few hundred pours, you might have to smoke it again.

Jigman

If you are getting a bad pour, there could be several reasons. Make sure to do 6-10 test pours in the mold before doing them with hooks. This will get the mold up to opperating temps. You should get several nice clean heads before you try with hooks. Same for your ladle, it needs to be hot too. What is your source of lead? If it is not pure (like tire weights), it may have some other metals in it that have a higher working temp than lead (620 degree melting point). These will solidify quicker and clog the mold. You'll also get a better cast if you hold the mold at a slight angle and pour evenly. If you go too slow, you'll notice ripples in the lead head from molten lead contacting lead that has already solidified.

Jigman

Hey Jigs,

Do you really do that many test pours to get the molds up to temperature? I just hit it for a few seconds with a propane torch to warm it up. Seems to work fine. My understanding of it after looking through Pfeiffer's book "The Complete Book of Tackle Making" is that all that's important is warming the mold before you pour. I'd hate to see any of my fellow lure makers, yourself included, pour any more lead than you have to.

Rich

Rich, really depends on how cold it is in the garage when I am pouring the lead. Like you said, the idea is to get the mold heated up. I tried the propane torch a few times and it really did not seem to get the molds heated up right. First few jigs always came out with wrinkles icon15.gif Seemed to work better for me just doing the test pours. I judge the amount of test pours based on what the head looks like when it comes out of the mold. If I'm only doing one style of head in a melting session I put the mold on top of the melting pot as the lead melts. Seems to work well. Usually do one test pour to be sure and I'm off pouring. Will give the propane torch suggestion another go next time I'm pouring.

Jigman

If you are having problems getting a good pour you might want to emlarge the pour holes a little bit. I know it helped me on some sinker molds.

Just go up one size 1/16 of an inch larger when you drill the pour hole out. Just make sure that the mold is securely clampes shut before you drill it. Also go slow . You don't want to score the inside of the mold.