Whats the best way to remove the white Oxidation/ corrosion off of used lead.. As a diver I find about 30 to 40 lbs of lead a year, Most can be reused as is. but some are missing terminal tackle..and need to be melted down.
Posted January 08 2003 - 8:05 PM
Try vinegar and an old tooth brush
Have you hugged your airbrush today??
Posted January 08 2003 - 8:06 PM
I just throw everything into the pot and heat it up. When it melts down I skip off any and all slag and discard it. Any non burnt pieces, like metal clips from wheel weights are also skipped off and discarded. Some times paint, plastic , or rubber is attached to the metal but it all burns off in time and is skipped off.
Just make sure you melt the lead outside in a good well ventilated spot. The fumes can kill you.
Posted January 08 2003 - 9:18 PM
If you are wanting to use the tackle as is, do as bernzy suggests. Soak it in vinagar for a bit. Take it out and rise with warm water. If you are remelting, follow wishing's advice and just skim the crud off. Definitely do it outside. I would also wear a respirator.
Posted January 08 2003 - 9:21 PM
The way we do it at work is coat it in shaving cream, and then use a carding brush, or a shave hook. The shaving cream entraps the lead particles, the way you don't breathe it in.
Posted January 09 2003 - 8:18 PM
Thanx for the advise guys. I'm fairly new to remelting, but am going to attempt to make some bucktails this year. 2 1/2 and 3 oz for our offshore tuna family. Do the molds have to be cleaned after each pour? Thanx again.. Bill
Posted January 09 2003 - 8:23 PM
Have never cleaned a mold yet. Before you pour in them for the first time, make sure to smoke them. By this I mean take a lit candle and hold it under the cavities of the mold to make it blackened. This will help with getting a smoother pour. After a few hundred pours, you might have to smoke it again.
Posted January 09 2003 - 8:44 PM
Thanx jigman, that might explain why my first attempts came out so poorly. I did manage to burn the heck out of the top of my boots, do to an over pour. I am going to candle them now. Thanx again Bill
Posted January 09 2003 - 11:17 PM
If you are getting a bad pour, there could be several reasons. Make sure to do 6-10 test pours in the mold before doing them with hooks. This will get the mold up to opperating temps. You should get several nice clean heads before you try with hooks. Same for your ladle, it needs to be hot too. What is your source of lead? If it is not pure (like tire weights), it may have some other metals in it that have a higher working temp than lead (620 degree melting point). These will solidify quicker and clog the mold. You'll also get a better cast if you hold the mold at a slight angle and pour evenly. If you go too slow, you'll notice ripples in the lead head from molten lead contacting lead that has already solidified.
Posted January 10 2003 - 8:21 AM
Jigman, 95 % of the lead I'll be remelting will be old sinkers or jigs. I find the during dive trips and then try to reuse them.
Posted January 10 2003 - 9:17 AM
:rollyes: oh yeah, thats what you said up front. Must have been the lead fumes from pouring last night Ummm, wear a respirator when you do this. Homies has some that are designed to be used around lead.
Posted January 10 2003 - 5:33 PM
Do you really do that many test pours to get the molds up to temperature? I just hit it for a few seconds with a propane torch to warm it up. Seems to work fine. My understanding of it after looking through Pfeiffer's book "The Complete Book of Tackle Making" is that all that's important is warming the mold before you pour. I'd hate to see any of my fellow lure makers, yourself included, pour any more lead than you have to.
Posted January 10 2003 - 7:10 PM
Rich, really depends on how cold it is in the garage when I am pouring the lead. Like you said, the idea is to get the mold heated up. I tried the propane torch a few times and it really did not seem to get the molds heated up right. First few jigs always came out with wrinkles Seemed to work better for me just doing the test pours. I judge the amount of test pours based on what the head looks like when it comes out of the mold. If I'm only doing one style of head in a melting session I put the mold on top of the melting pot as the lead melts. Seems to work well. Usually do one test pour to be sure and I'm off pouring. Will give the propane torch suggestion another go next time I'm pouring.
Posted January 11 2003 - 1:13 AM
If you are having problems getting a good pour you might want to emlarge the pour holes a little bit. I know it helped me on some sinker molds.
Just go up one size 1/16 of an inch larger when you drill the pour hole out. Just make sure that the mold is securely clampes shut before you drill it. Also go slow . You don't want to score the inside of the mold.
Posted January 11 2003 - 8:11 AM
Whem I pour lead I use a old tow burner Coleman stove out in the front of the garage. I used to put the moldes around the bruner while I m melting the lead. Thom T