Pouring Lead - Whats the trick?
Posted April 18 2001 - 2:51 PM
Just received my first two Do-It molds from Stamina. Fired up the Coleman camping stove and put the cast iron pot on it full of lead. About 45 minutes the lead was melted, but when I pour it into the mold the hole got clogged up with lead and I didn't get a full pour. I heated up the mold, and it seemed to get better. After about a dozen attempts, I got one complete jig. What am I doing wrong here? Seems like the lead wasn't hot enough, should I buy an electric pourer?
Posted April 18 2001 - 3:11 PM
if your gonna get into making your own lures I would go the extra cost of purchasing a Lee Production Pot...
It will melt 10lbs. of lead to a working temp in about 10 mins.
I would have to guess that a Coleman stove just doesn't have the BTU's to keep the lead at a working temp of 700 degrees...
but also one of the tricks to successful jig pouring is having a VERY warm mold...
I usually pour about a dozen jigs without putting the hooks in the jig, just to warm the mold... you just throw the hookless jigs back in the pot...
then when I am seeing that the jigs are looking the way I like I start putting the hooks in them...
hope this makes sense and help ya some...
Posted April 19 2001 - 4:04 AM
As Misfit said the molds need to be hot.I usually put my molds on the stove for a few minutes just to heat up. If you pour hot lead into a cold mold the lead starts to harded almost instantly causing the mold to fill improperly.Always heat your molds first.
Did you blacken your molds before using them?You should take a candle and hold the mold over it.Let the candle smoke blacken the mold cavitites before you pour your lead. You will find that this helps to fill the molds easier , and also allows for a better release from the mold.
If you still are having trouble you can enlarge the pouring hole a little. I usually do this because it allows me to fill the mold a little quicker, with less trouble.
Just a few things.
Always pour lead in a well ventilated area. Make sure you wear thick heavy gloves. I prefer welder type gloves.
Always wear long pants and heavy shoes. I had a mold leak on me once. Damn lead ran down my leg and onto my foot.
Always pour lead over a non burnable surface. can't be to careful.
keep the kids and pets away.You don't want to be distracted in the middle of a pour.And you definitely don't want the pot knocked over.
take your time.Practice makes prefect.
Posted April 19 2001 - 1:51 PM
Make sure you are in well ventilated place.
Posted April 19 2001 - 7:08 PM
And REALLY follow all the safety precautions you read here - lead can have some nasty health consequences, especially for kids (and your two pups).
I always wear my Jack 'n' Jenny work gloves with the long forearm cuffs when I'm pouring just in case. Don't smoke or eat while you're pouring and wash your hands well when you're done.
You might also wanna give the hinge a blast of WD-40 too.
If you powder coat your jigs - the best finish, fer sure - and decide to bake them to harden the finish as recommended on the instructions, DON'T use the same oven your family uses for food.
Do-Its are great - it does take a little practice, but you'll find it's a piece of cake after a while.
Posted April 20 2001 - 7:25 AM
Now if I can only figure out how to get rid of those cancerous paint blobs when using powder paint we'll be in business!
Posted April 20 2001 - 5:02 PM
Shoot me a PM or give me a call if ya need a hand. You're all of 15 minutes away.
Posted April 21 2001 - 4:47 AM
BEST TIP I CAN GIVE YOU...
IF YOU WANT GOOD CASTING ON THE 1ST SHOT
LEAD GOES IN, AIR HAS TO COME OUT SOMEWHERE, RIGHT?
SO TRY USING A SMALL PIECE OF THAT ALUMINUM TAPE THEY USE FOR DUCTS,,PIECE ABOUT 1/4" SQUARE ON TOP AND BOTTOM OF BACK OF MOLD, NEAR THE HANDLES..DO IT MOLDS ARE SO TIGHT,,THEY DONT VENT,,THIS WILL GIVE YOU CLEARANCE YOU NEED,,,DONT WORRY ABOUT FLASH..THE TAPE IS ONLY A COUPLE THOUSANTHS OF AN INCH THICK...TRY IT,,YOU WILL BE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED..
Posted November 06 2007 - 1:56 PM
Posted November 06 2007 - 3:35 PM
Preheating the molds will solve your pouring problem. Preheating the jigs will solve your other problem. Put them in the oven aroud 225 let them warm up then dip them in the powder. tap the shank of the hook to get the excess powder off of the head. The jig will still be dull powder color, then stick them back in the oven and turn the heat up and they'll turn glossy and harden.
Posted November 06 2007 - 4:24 PM
Posted November 06 2007 - 6:24 PM
Instead of Homies, hit a local scrap yard and get the 50 lbs for about 25 bucks, or even less if you trade in any scrap metal that you have. Its all the same stuff, just in different form.
Posted November 06 2007 - 7:59 PM
Originally Posted by Salt and Fresh
...hear there is soft and hard lead..guessing hard is from tire weights and has impurities..soft lead is reccomended by do-it-molds...
Yep, hard lead has other stuff in it. The soft lead is pure. The flashing they use around chimneys and for some pipes is often soft lead. Like JTR suggested, you might find it at your local metal scrap yard. Either that or check the local plumbing supply place for ingots (often called lead chalking). Thats the good stuff.
Talk about pulling a thread up from the archives
Posted November 06 2007 - 10:06 PM
Posted November 06 2007 - 10:30 PM
I have a big spoon to put the lead into and we heat it up with a propane torch. Takes about 10-15 minutes to heat up the first batch. Now while one person heats the spoon full of lead the other person takes another propane torch and heats up the lead mold so the lead doesn't clump up. The first 1-2 batches are the hardest and will sometimes get clogged. But after that everything is nice and hot and will work real easy and well.
(*member formerly known as 'JohnB.')