7 replies to this topic

#1 TimS

TimS

Way too many!

• Administrators
  • 80,107 posts
  • LocationShark River Hills, NJ

Posted November 22 2004 - 06:39 PM

Just got the following in an email and I have no idea so I figgered I'd ask you guys cause you guys know everything

Quote:

I have a Penn 711 reel that I have no use for...I have no idea what it is worth but feel it is a classic. This reel is in excellent shape no scratches just a few rub marks.
If someone could help me find a value I would appreciate it.

Anyone know anything about this reel or it's value? Thanks in advance

TimS

-

-

-

-

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.
We love our stripers - please don't take more than yah need.

#2 chicky

chicky

5,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,029 posts

Posted November 22 2004 - 06:48 PM

there is a website that chronicles all of the penn spinning reels. it doesnt give $ value to the reels but will state if its rare or not. ill see if i can find my link to the site. its a lefty reel so production was limited. im sure the reel has some value to a collector somewhere. a nib 710 was goinf for $400 on auction recently. nuts i tell ya, nuts
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

#3 Sudsy

Sudsy

Way too many!

• Site-Wide Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,642 posts
  • LocationOn the Hook

Posted November 22 2004 - 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by chicky:
a nib 710 was goinf for $400 on auction recently. nuts i tell ya, nuts

I think that's more than nuts, that sounds like someone playing games. An average price for a mint used 710 greenie w/ no box is about $30 to $35 on Ebay. I wouldn't be surprised to see an unused, new in box model going for $150+ but $400 is definately excessive.

The lefty model, because of the limited run, is a whole nuther game. A lot will depend on the condition. If you have the box and papers that can triple the price. New unused with the box and paperwork I could see that going for $300+ to $400+

If it's well used I'd slap a manual bail on it and go fishing It's a great reel and for $100 you're not going to find better on a store shelf.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to see it my way.

#4 Sudsy

Sudsy

Way too many!

• Site-Wide Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,642 posts
  • LocationOn the Hook

Posted November 22 2004 - 08:41 PM

Just saw that NIB 710 on Ebay - $400 is a buy it now price. The guy was probably looking to reel in a sucker. 21 hours left and its going at $74.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to see it my way.

#5 gadabout

gadabout

1,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted November 22 2004 - 08:56 PM

The 711 is a left-handed version of the 710. It first appeared in catalog # 26 (around 1965). I don't know what they are worth as compared to a 710. There was one on ebay that sold for $71.

#6 TimS

TimS

Way too many!

• Administrators
  • 80,107 posts

Posted November 22 2004 - 08:57 PM

Suds...that's really good an all, thanks

But what about the reel in question? You know, the one this thread is about?

TimS

-

-

-

-

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

#7 TimS

TimS

Way too many!

• Administrators
  • 80,107 posts

Posted November 22 2004 - 09:00 PM

Sorry about that Sudsy I didn't realize that your "the lefty version" part of your post was referring to the 711 reel...my bad

TimS

-

-

-

-

#8 AdrianF

AdrianF

Way too many!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,399 posts

Posted November 23 2004 - 12:17 AM

i got a used greeny 711 in good condition off ebay for maybe 60 bucks, probly more like 50 and a brand new black one for around the same. Both came with box and papers, and the greenie with 2 extra spools.
re-ban quest