can rose thorns cause a rash like poison ivy?

Rate this topic

doyle007

well, after a week in hawaii and another week in california, i arrived back home this past friday night. i knew that saturday was going to be a busy day doing yard work for me, but i was well rested, and up to the challenge.

the first, and pretty much only thing that i did, was prune a giant rose bush that we have in our backyard. this thing had not be trimmed back for years, so i got out my loppers and hand pruners, and went to town.

now, i was wearing a long sleeve shirt and jeans while doing all of the work, as well as gloves and sunglasses to keep the thorns from getting me. i did get a bunch of thorn bites thru my shirt on the arm while attempting to cut some branches, and had the usual scratches. this was all on saturday. on monday, my arm started to really itch, and i saw what looks to be poison ivy along my forearm. i do not have any poison ivy in the yard, so i'm not sure what it is. i'm wondering if the rose thorns could have caused this rash and the subsequent itching. have any of you ever experienced this?

i've been putting hydrocortisone cream on the rash area, but it still itches big time. i find myself looking for sharp objects to push against my arm to give me some relief. if the ocean was warmer, then i'd use my old tried and true method of dealing with poison ivy (or whatever this is) of rubbing wet sand on the rash until it opened up, and then go swimming for an hour or so. that always seemed to work nicely.

Hmmm... sounds like it might be a bacterial infection in the scratches... I'm assuming besides being very itchy, it's a little red, maybe slightly swollen around the immediate scratch? Try some neosporin or something...

If anyone may require dialysis or a kidney transplant, feel free to contact me via this site. I'll be happy to help you through whatever questions you have! :wave:

Is it spreading? If not it sounds like an alergic reaction to me.

I put Christmas lights on our Blue Spruce every year and go in to it in full body gear and still get the itchy rashes. I hate Christmas wink.gif

I like EVERYONE, except for some people.

thanks guys for the input.

now, i did go in the water in hawaii, as well as the woods while shooting sporting clays. i was thinking that this may have been the culprit, but the rash didn't appear in any way for a week after i left hawaii. this long period of time makes me think that it was not from hawaii.

the rash is not spreading, and it's only on my forearm, and a small spot above the knee. i'm thinking some kind of allergic reaction. i did have on a long sleeved t-shirt, but the thorns went right thru it, so it must be the thorns causing it.

whatever it is, it itches like crazy, and tonight will be an aveedo bath for one arm.

now, based on the other thread that is moving along in this forum, i should probably pee on it. i've heard that urine will reduce the swelling and get rid of the itchiness. of course i'll smell like the men's room at the local pub, so i don't think that i'll be doing that.

• 5 years later...

I've been working in our cemetery and i started working there on July 8, 2011. They had the roses of of them and i had on capre's. On Saturday i woke up in middle of the night itching and i broke out with these little bumps on my thigh's and butt and a couple on my back and on the top of my feet. I used the same kind of cream as you did after i tried calamine lotion. Took a bath in rubbing alcohol. A friend of mine gave me some absent salt and it help for a day. I went to the er and the er doctor told me he didn't know what it was. He said it was some kind of bug bite. That's not it because i was back in the rose bushes today and i broke out with a welp on my arm and some scratches. And got bit by a spider. I think I'm allergic to rose bushes, you may of had allergic reaction to the rose bushes.

I've been working in our cemetery and i started working there on July 8, 2011 and they had the roses of of them and i had on capre's and on Saturday i woke up in middle of the night itching and i broke out with these little bumps on my thigh's and butt and a couple on my back and on the top of my feet and  i used the same kind of cream as you did after i tried calamine lotion took a bath in rubbing alcohol so a friend of mine gave me some absent salt and it help for a day so i went to the er and the er doctor told me he didn't know what it was he said it was some kind of bug bite and no that's not it because i was back in the rose bushes today and i broke out with a welp on my arm and some scratches to and got bit by a spider and i thank I'm allergic to rose bushes so you might of had allergic reaction to the rose bushes.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to read that in one breath?

I've been working in our cemetery and i started working there on July 8, 2011 and they had the roses of of them and i had on capre's and on Saturday i woke up in middle of the night itching and i broke out with these little bumps on my thigh's and butt and a couple on my back and on the top of my feet and  i used the same kind of cream as you did after i tried calamine lotion took a bath in rubbing alcohol so a friend of mine gave me some absent salt and it help for a day so i went to the er and the er doctor told me he didn't know what it was he said it was some kind of bug bite and no that's not it because i was back in the rose bushes today and i broke out with a welp on my arm and some scratches to and got bit by a spider and i thank I'm allergic to rose bushes so you might of had allergic reaction to the rose bushes.

Leave the dead people alone, K?

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end -- which you can never afford to loose -- with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they may be .."