1dozenraw

Harnell rods

191 posts in this topic

View PostOKay, as always the conversations go in all directions. As far as South Bend, The reason that John did not fight them was because he passed on before South Bend did their thing. Jean Harrington ( Wife ) was the one that took them to court. As for the question on Harrington rods. There was no difference between Harrington Rods and Harnell rods. Harnell was put on the rods primarily sold on the East coast and Harrington was put on the rods primarily sold on the west coast. Now when I inform you of the information that I pass on, remember, this is directly from Jean Harrington. I am in direct connection with Jean on a daily basis. As for Harrington rod company and the equipment and all, I will refrain at this time to discuss this. I am not here to cause an uproar and get anyone's feathers ruffled. Yes South Bend produced rods using the Harnell name. The problem is that as people that are aware, there is a vast difference between a Harrington/Harnell rod and a South Bend rod. I could start a whole new argument as to the quality but I will not. I will leave it at this, John Harrington was the first rod manufacturer in the world. The motto " in all the world no finer rod " say's it all..

Take a kid fishing..

Maybe Jean is senile! Just kidding!

View Post8ball has a rod, a 549-A, that was never in the catalog and supposedly was made for 2 years for the tournament guys in southern California

11' and possibly the sweetest glass rod I've ever had the pleasure to cast - I WANT one !!

You can't have my rod no matter how much you beg tongue.gif

For those of you that are wondering just what the heck a 549a is - Its a supercharged, modified and lenghtened 542. It was built and sold as blank only for the West Coast tournament casters during the mid 60's. I got mine in San Diego in 1967.

It's tip is an 11 with a .885 butt.

Mine is set up as conventional and I can throw everything from a 2 ounce swimmer up to 8 and bait with ease.

I have been told that the original run of the 11 foot 2 piece production rods were based on this blank.

BTW - I don't think that anyone has an new blank anymore. There are still some built ones around, couple of years back there was one up for sale on flea bay

My two older brothers both have Harnell 7 1/2 foot 2 piece freshwater spinning rods with cork handles and sliding band reel seats. The rods were purchased in the mid fifties and they are beautiful rods with great slow glass actions. I would love to build a surf blank with a Harnell.

View PostIs the 549A something you guys would be interested in if I could put it back onto the manufacturing line?

Count me in

The thing is a cannon! I'll wager it would be a big hit with the OBX crew.

I have a black 4 piece combo rod set. the label shows a jumping sail fish and the words " george xxxne products on top, santa monica, california" underneath.

on the bottom it says " The harnell" I picked this up about 20 years ago and would like to get any info I could. Are there any books that shows different rods. any info would be very interesting. thanks in advance.

View PostI have a black 4 piece combo rod set. the label shows a jumping sail fish and the words " george xxxne products on top, santa monica, california" underneath.

on the bottom it says " The harnell" I picked this up about 20 years ago and would like to get any info I could. Are there any books that shows different rods. any info would be very interesting. thanks in advance.

A genuine Harnell should have "Harnell" written in white script inside the white outline of a fish as its label.

Anything with "Harrington" written inside the fish is also a real Harnell wink.gif

If this rod was custom built, which is what it sounds like, it's also possible that the factory label was covered by the grips or reel seat, and the builder added those words to specify what blank was used.

Harrington 552's are my favorite rods of all time but we use them much differently here in Texas. I generally use my 552's with a Newell G344-F for bull reds in the surf or off jettys and piers. We rig up big 12/0 - 16/0 circle hooks, with an 8oz spider weight and a hunk of cut bait. This time of year we tear them up with 20 fish days not uncommon. I generally fish the Galveston area and the High Island area.

Many people use 550's and other shorter Harrington/Harnell rods for shark rods. They will rig up 9/0 - 16/0 Penns and run out huge baits from kayaks or zodiacs. Down on PINS (Padre Island National Seashore) they catch some huge tiger, bull, blacktip, lemon, and many other species of sharks.

I currently own 2 552's and 1 550. When the new blanks come out I will definately be picking some up to see how they compare to the old blanks.

Oh well I figured I would just throw some info out there since from down south...

Here is a quick pic of a nice one caught off a 552. Rod is not in the picture though.....

Later,

SurfmanTX

View PostI have a black 4 piece combo rod set. the label shows a jumping sail fish and the words " george xxxne products on top, santa monica, california" underneath.

Savellar,

Actually, it sounds like (from a tackle collectors point of view) you've hit the Harnell jackpot. I'm assuming by your description, the decal has somewhat of an oval shape and is light blue and creme in color. A picture or two would help me confirm this of coarse, but I believe this rod of yours dates back to the late 1940's. The name on the decal is George Hine Products Co. They were the original and exclusive distributor of the Harnell product line in the early days of the company's existence. Does it have a model # on it anywhere? Post a couple of pics and I'll be happy to confirm all of this for you............... Erik

View PostHarrington 552's are my favorite rods of all time but we use them much differently here in Texas. I generally use my 552's with a Newell G344-F for bull reds in the surf or off jettys and piers. We rig up big 12/0 - 16/0 circle hooks, with an 8oz spider weight and a hunk of cut bait. This time of year we tear them up with 20 fish days not uncommon. I generally fish the Galveston area and the High Island area.

Many people use 550's and other shorter Harrington/Harnell rods for shark rods. They will rig up 9/0 - 16/0 Penns and run out huge baits from kayaks or zodiacs. Down on PINS (Padre Island National Seashore) they catch some huge tiger, bull, blacktip, lemon, and many other species of sharks.

I currently own 2 552's and 1 550. When the new blanks come out I will definately be picking some up to see how they compare to the old blanks.

Oh well I figured I would just throw some info out there since from down south...

Here is a quick pic of a nice one caught off a 552. Rod is not in the picture though.....

Later,

SurfmanTX

Nice red Surfman!!! One day I'll make it down there to give your type of fishing a shot! wink.gif

View PostIs the 549A something you guys would be interested in if I could put it back onto the manufacturing line?

I'm interested in the 549A.smile.gif

I'm interested in the 549A 11' blank. I own two 552s which I use for bull red fish. They work great. You might also add a 542 to my wish list.

here is a picture. The rod is about 8' long It has a reg tip and 2 fly rod tips.

There is also a signature aboue it ."Jerry Dana". I can't find a model nr.

What is this rod usually used for.

I also have a heavier rod with the remains of the name harnell within a fish.

I's about 6.5 ' long. again no model nr.

Thanks for the info.

I've been using both. Should I not be using them.525

Steve

Hey Steve,

That is definitely the decal that I was referring to. Bonefied calssic! As far as using them, I say this to you..... If you want to fish them.......DO IT! However, the rod in the photo would certainly have value in the vintage collectors eye. I can't remember off the top of my head which model set this was, but I will do a little research and get you some model #'s if I can. Any way you look at it Steve, this is a great find. wink.gif

Erik