1dozenraw

Harnell rods

191 posts in this topic

I have one of my fathers old rods... a Harnell 564 from venice california with a wood handle rated 45lbs.

I was thinking of rewrapping it but my pro down here in florida said i sholuld research the rod first to see if it was a classic and i would be doing an injustice to touch the original wrappings.

Does anyone know if this rod is worth anything and what is recommended to waht i do with it.

Ty Ralph

I just got my second which is the Harnell Ultimate 9", I will have to find out what the first one is. I like them, but they are not light.

they made a 500 also. I got one. Forgive me I'm a New member found the site searching for info on harnell rods. I'm a member of other surf fishing boards. Live in savannah ga. We got some great striper fishing here.

i have a 2 piece 6' harnell venice,ca rod fresh water i bought and used over 52 years ago.hanging on wall now.also had 4 salt water 10'.

I have the 542,and the 445,and the original 440,great flounder stick.also have a couple more smaller though,do not know what numbers,6ftrs,all brand spankn new,customed,and never used,neever found the time.Tight Lines Gents.

I have an old 8 foot Harrington boat rod with the wood bottom grip and white rubber top grip and 5 guides (lus tiptop). Anyone know the old rod model #'s. The new link to the latest models has two 8 foot models (530 and 536).

View PostI have an old 8 foot Harrington boat rod with the wood bottom grip and white rubber top grip and 5 guides (lus tiptop). Anyone know the old rod model #'s. The new link to the latest models has two 8 foot models (530 and 536).

Do you know what the butt and tip diameters are?

I don't have the exact tip and butt diameters. The top of the rod below the wraps below the tiptop has a diameter of 0.165" and the blank above the decorative wraps that are adjacent to the handle is 0.575"

I did find a faint handwritten number near the handle that says 525. I am now guessing that is the model number.

Hey, just met and had lunch with Jean Harrington this Saturday in LA at the west Coast Custom Rod making show!!!! She is a great gal with many interesting stories. She has sold the company to a couple from Oregon. They are in the process of starting back up again. They are very nice,the perfect people to start making these fantastic rod blanks again. So if you are patient ,you will have Harnells in your life again. They do have stock of some blanks available now!!!! This is the best thing that has happened to me in years. I caught a 440lb shark on a Harnell that was rated for 15-20lb test line. They are amazing!!! The "Rigger"

View PostHey, just met and had lunch with Jean Harrington this Saturday in LA at the west Coast Custom Rod making show!!!! She is a great gal with many interesting stories. She has sold the company to a couple from Oregon. They are in the process of starting back up again. They are very nice,the perfect people to start making these fantastic rod blanks again. So if you are patient ,you will have Harnells in your life again. They do have stock of some blanks available now!!!! This is the best thing that has happened to me in years. I caught a 440lb shark on a Harnell that was rated for 15-20lb test line. They are amazing!!! The "Rigger"

The guy who bought the company is registered here. I forgot his user name, but he's posted on a few threads.

Well, what do you know--he already posted here--he's EJ Harr wink.gif

What does the new rods have in common with the old rods? Unless they are coming out with the same blanks it would be like comparing a lamiglas to a St. Croix.

8ball has a rod, a 549-A, that was never in the catalog and supposedly was made for 2 years for the tournament guys in southern California

11' and possibly the sweetest glass rod I've ever had the pleasure to cast - I WANT one !!

View PostThe guy who bought the company is registered here. I forgot his user name, but he's posted on a few threads.

Well, what do you know--he already posted here--he's EJ Harr wink.gif

Yeah Erik is his name who bought Harnell. I just cant wait to get my hands on some blanks.