30 lb striper using light 10' Black Hole Suzuki rod

Rate this topic

ksong

I had to use 10' Black Hole Suzuki rod and IRT 500 high gear reel this evening as I lost my surf rods and reels last night.
It is challenger to fish such a light rod for big striper.
But I landed 30 lb striper in strong current with the 10' rod and 4 oz Magic Swimmer. it took only 2 -3 minutes as I used pretty heavy drag. I landed within one minutes for all other 15 - 20 lb striper.
The new high gear ratio IRT 500 reel did a magic as I constantly hooked up fish while others next to me struggle to catch one or two.

20180816_120949.jpg

20180816_192406.jpg

20180816_181833.jpg

20180816_101144.jpg

Edited by ksong

22 mins ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

great job on the fish and and even better job on the spot burn,nothing the canal needs more of than a little exposure.

How could this be a spot burn?

All he did was tell you what he caught, when he caught it, what he caught it with and included a photo with landmarks that make it very easy to find the exact spot at the place he said he caught it, the day he caught it.

Is SOL part of the problem? 

Edited by ged

38 mins ago, ged said:

How could this be a spot burn?

All he did was tell you what he caught, when he caught it, what he caught it with and included a photo with landmarks that make it very easy to find the exact spot at the place he said he caught it, the day he caught it.

Is SOL part of the problem? 

Good entry in my log book... 

To mention of Cape Cod Canal is spot burning for some. :)

To make you happy, I delete the picture with background and replace them with other pictures.

Some might find the spot by looking at rock formation. :)

Edited by ksong

10 mins ago, ksong said:

To mention of Cape Cod Canal is spot burning for some. :)

To make you happy, I delete the picture with background and replace them with other pictures.

Some might find the spot by looking at rock formation. :)

Crap.. you didn’t give me a chance to make a copy of the pictures...

10 mins ago, levari said:

Crap.. you didn’t give me a chance to make a copy of the pictures...

Good fisherman like you don't need any picture. Fish swim and you find spot.

The spot I fished was a lot of fishermen  were there.  So I chose the spot as I am beginner of Cape Cod Canal.  The whole stretch of canal had fish that day.

Edited by ksong

6 mins ago, ksong said:

Good fisherman like you don't need any picture. Fish swim and you find spot.

The spot I fished was a lot of fishermen  were there.  So I chose the spot as I am beginner of Cape Cod Canal.  The whole stretch of canal had fish that day.

I need the picture to hang on my wall. I don’t fish the canal.. :)

Yesterday evening was great.  I fished only 1 1/2 hours and left though striper were still biting.  Once I landed 30 lb striper, I felt my mission is completed. :)

When I caught a 100 lb tarpon in Florida, I left and headed for NJ though they were biting.  

Today's bite was slow for me. I got fish with 4 oz Al Gag jig with the 10' Suzuki rod and lost it.  I thought jigging is for bottom bouncing slowly. But Jeff told me to crank fast and I got two while cranking fast with jigs yesterday.  

I am still learning every day. :).