Glock 19X

Rate this topic

fishweewee

I can't help myself when it comes to things Glock so I picked up a 19X a few weeks back.  Spent about $600 on it.

The 19X is a new Gen 5 model that has the full size G17 frame but a 19 length slide.

p9X8c6e.jpg?1

Took it to the range and was pleasantly surprised how it shoots at 25 yards ... right out of the box.  Here's a 10 round slow fire offhand group I shot (posted in another thread I think). 

I harp on 25 yard groups a lot - because that's the standard by which our Tier-1 go-fast boys (Army Delta) train.  And I train with quite a few 25-yard-get-all-10-rounds-into-the-black-B8-(C) accuracy nazis.  Sometimes, 25 yard bullseye is all I do at the range.

Oh by the way, you should be zeroing all your pistols at 25 yards.  Yup, you need to zero your pistols just like you do your rifle.

FWIW, hits on steel at 100 yards are a breeze with this gun.

c10Zbrv.jpg

This be a fighting gun and me likes it.

Some interesting features:

-Made in the USA I think.

-No finger grooves on the grip

-Ambi slide release, and these are flared out a bit more (not quite as much as an M&P)

-2 takedown pins instead of 3

-The mag release is reversible

-This model came with metal sights

-The barrel is crowned (!)

-Partially flared mag well

-Cutout at front of the bottom of the magwell for digital mag extraction if needed

-Technically has a firing pin now, not a striker.

-The safety plunger is a new design - it has a ramped contact surface that helps smooth trigger pull

-Trigger pull is 5-5.25 pounds

-Comes with a lanyard buttplug

-Older gen mags work in this gun

I really don't need to do that much with this gun, if anything (maybe a set of maritime spring cups).  Usually with a Glock I'm getting aftermarket sights, an upgraded match barrel (which I spend a ton of time fitting on the fly), aftermarket slide release, aftermarket mag release, butt plug, and 3.5# connector.

Glock did a good job on this, sounds like they are finally starting to listen to customers.  

The few guys I talked to who bought these seem to like them.  That's a good sign.

Sorry Cali and Mass guys, you can't buy these (unless you are LEO).

Edited by fishweewee

I like the cost range and light weight of the Glock, BUT.....

1) I cannot shoot one because the web of my hand would be double sliced backward and forward on every shot

2) The triggers all SUCK. Stricker fire = sucky triggers

3) That pattern is respectable for rapid fire, single hand, BUT not for slow fire shooting. Slow fire the x-ring is your goal.

4) If it isn't .45, it isn't satisfactory.

Glad you like it though. For me it is cocked & locked with a great trigger, or it isn't in the ball game.

Good stuff. For an average guy like me I don't need all the bells and whistles. I prefer the grip on the gen4. I handled an X but didn't shoot it. Nice gun but the gen4 does what I need it to do. And yes they shoot very well.  Only as good as the shooter. Lol. My kids can keep it in the black at 7 yards. Baby steps. Lol. 

29 mins ago, Whopper Bubba said:

I like the cost range and light weight of the Glock, BUT.....

Yeah, everybody's going to be different. The gun has to fit in your hand, and a Glock isn't going to fit everybody's hand.  That's a frequent complaint I hear about Glocks.

A tuned 1911 vs. striker-fired combat tupperware is apples and oranges.  You give up a little inherent accuracy for lighter weight and reliability in adverse environments.

Edited by fishweewee

30 mins ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Good stuff. For an average guy like me I don't need all the bells and whistles. I prefer the grip on the gen4.

At a minimum, change out the plastic sights that are furnished with the gun.  They aren't real sights, just placeholders for metal sights.  (Kinda joking, but not really :laugh: )

Relatively cheap fix at $45 for both front and rears.  Sometimes they go on sale for $20.

https://ameriglo.com/products/glock-defoor-tactical-sets

Edited by fishweewee

8 mins ago, fishweewee said:

At a minimum, change out the plastic sights that are furnished with the gun.  They aren't real sights, just placeholders for metal sights.  (Kinda joking, but not really :laugh: )

Relatively cheap fix at $45 for both front and rears.  Sometimes they go on sale for $20.

https://ameriglo.com/products/glock-defoor-tactical-sets

Was looking at those. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Whopper Bubba said:

RELIABILITY? No one in their right mind would choose a plastic piece of %$#@ for a 1911.

Not sure if you are being serious or smoking crack.

The G17 is known around the world as the universal service pistol due to its bulletproof reliability. The 1911 is obsolete in that regard.

Try this with a 1911.

6 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

LOL. 

The Glock won't win any beauty contests but when the zombies show up its the first handgun I'm grabbing. 

There are some merits to these torture tests.  As New Orleans residents found out during the flooding that followed Hurricane Katrina, some wet pistols performed better than others.

Any of you guys carry when fishing?  A gun getting wet and sandy (and salty) is a reality.  

Here are the key reliability disadvantages that 1911's have vs. a Glock.

1) They have parts that need to be hand fitted, polished and tuned before they even leave the factory.  Most modern production entry level models don't have this at all.

2) By design, 1911's are more sensitive to stacking tolerances.  Every little piece is interconnected.  A slipup in tolerance here and there accumulates in a compounding manner.  In the age of hand-fitted guns, this wasn't an issue.  Nowadays?  lol.

3) 1911's have higher ongoing maintenance needs.  Key example is extractor tension.

4) The hammer and firing pin of the 1911 is exposed to the elements (the equivalent guts of a Glock are enclosed in the slide).

5) Every part inside the frame and the slide needs a coating of lube at all times.  Without exception.  Glocks will function without lube.  They should be lubed, but they go bang if not.

6) 1911 slides can be sensitive to the type of steel used to make them.  Feed/galling issues.

And I haven't even gotten to the most important thing about the 1911 that makes it "the king of the feedway stoppages."

1911's have a huge hurdle in the feed ramp angle (30 ish degree hurdle gross of the 17.5 degree up-angle in the magazine).  See this:

9cEBmIr.gif

But before even getting into the chamber, 1911 rounds can NOSEDIVE into the feedramp before angling back UP 30 degrees.  The more rounds you have in a single stack 1911 magazine, the more likely this will happen.

1-1.jpg

Not such a severe issue with the Glock.  Every round in a Glock gets fed into the chamber at near horizontal.  This is really crucial - people don't think about this.  The implication is that 1911 feed ramps need to be specially cut to accommodate certain hollow point ammo and then polished to ensure proper feeding.

And we haven't even gotten to the weird quirks of the .45 ACP ball ammo design.

I spent a week in a mini-armorer's class studying the 1911 .. it really is an expert's only weapon if you intend to use one for self-defense.  I made the decision that the upkeep wasn't worth it to me for me for the extra accuracy.  I attended several multiday training classes shooting the 1911.  We spent a lot of time clearing FTF's, without exception.  If you are at all interested in how your 1911 may perform under stress, shoot a 2 day 800 round class.  You might change your mind about 1911's.

I sold all my 1911's thereafter.

When it comes to lifesaving tools, there's no room for ego.  A gun is a tool that works reliably or doesn't.  Glocks aren't perfect, Glock makes lemons too, but gawd the 1911 is a PITA.  I'd rather spend my spare time fishing.

I get that 1911's are a part of our history, our culture ($hit, 1911 is Americana as %uck) but that doesn't factor into me wanting to use/carry one for defense. 

YMMV.

Edited by fishweewee

2 hours ago, fishweewee said:

There are some merits to these torture tests.  As New Orleans residents found out during the flooding that followed Hurricane Katrina, some wet pistols performed better than others.

Any of you guys carry when fishing?  A gun getting wet and sandy (and salty) is a reality.  

Ain't carrying ****. I'm in Jersey.  Lol. Only the thugs carry in this state. 

I've got the NH and Utah permit. Carried in pa before they changed it recently. Carried in NC. 

The 1911 passed the dirt and mud tests over all competitors. It functioned flawlessly in the trenches in WW1. It was chosen by the military in 1912 and also was purchased by the Marines in 2013 and 2015...over 100 years later. My bosses son has won 9 of his 10 World Championships with an STI and his first with a Colt Gold Cup 1911. He has over 70,000 rounds through it without a single misfire. He has changed the extractor twice in that time because he thought it might be getting worn. That is the only change over factory.

The first Glock .45's were found to OFTEN fire out of battery causing injuries, recalls, and redesign. The only people leery of the 1911 were numerous Germans, ****, No Koreans, etc. The Glock trigger is an abomination.

Edited by Whopper Bubba