Forum is quiet...how about some mid-August fishing reports?

Rate this topic

Topside2

2 hours ago, TBulldog said:

The stand up paddleboards look like they could be fun but I feel like it would be challenging to fish from one. I definitely wouldn't want to bring too much gear out on one. 

Speaking of which. Late in the season last year while trolling along in my kayak I crossed paths with a well outfitted SUP piloted by a fly fisherman who was  alternatively tossing a fly towards the shore line and paddling. Up front on the nose of the board was a small dog in the terrier class attentively staring into the water. When I asked about the dog he told me that it was the best fish finder he ever owned. That got a good chuckle out of me.

While the prospect of catching fish isn’t the only reason I love being on the water, it is one of the best excuses I have for continuing to go there.

2 hours ago, Crozzbow said:

Up front on the nose of the board was a small dog in the terrier class attentively staring into the water. When I asked about the dog he told me that it was the best fish finder he ever owned. That got a good chuckle out of me.

That's awesome. Everyone loves a pup on a SUP.

Days get shorter bass are leaving. No secret, calendar doesn't lie. This year the lull of activity was late  June and then picked up in July and still going through August. Same thing happened last year where I live in Boston it was mayhem from 1st-2nd week of August and then the canal lit up the week after. You can wait till September or fish hard now! 

calendar.JPG

5 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Days get shorter bass are leaving. No secret, calendar doesn't lie. This year the lull of activity was late  June and then picked up in July and still going through August. Same thing happened last year where I live in Boston it was mayhem from 1st-2nd week of August and then the canal lit up the week after. You can wait till September or fish hard now! 

calendar.JPG

The fishing at the canal in August last year was phenomenal. The best fishing I had in Maine was in October. I don't think its always the same biomass of fish moving in a linear direction. 

8 hours ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

The fishing at the canal in August last year was phenomenal. The best fishing I had in Maine was in October. I don't think its always the same biomass of fish moving in a linear direction. 

It doesn't mean every single bass leaves. I can still get fish in Boston During December. But the bulk and larger biomass?  Exits.

19 mins ago, Nbourque said:

Are you guys still battling seaweed off the beaches?

Nearly unfishable past

couple days. Take a few tides to clear the beaches in my area.  Even when I manage to wade or cast past the first 30ft of heavy stuff the small red hairy stuff gets me. Very

disappointing.

Edited by Livliner

(*member formerly known as 'garycunn)'

29 mins ago, Livliner said:

Nearly unfishable past

couple days. Take a few tides to clear the beaches in my area.  Even when I manage to wade or cast past the first 30ft of heavy stuff the small red hairy stuff gets me. Very

disappointing.

Ugh. Thanks for the info. Seems like it’s been that way the last month or so. I can’t afford to drive an hour south only to find out the beaches are chock full of weed

47 mins ago, Nbourque said:

Ugh. Thanks for the info. Seems like it’s been that way the last month or so. I can’t afford to drive an hour south only to find out the beaches are chock full of weed

Glad I didn’t go today, texted a buddy and he said 90% of his casts were seaweed, guess I chose a few good days to rest

GOD made my Mold different from the rest, Then he broke that mold so I know I'm Blessed.

Fishing the Harpswell area this week and it's been very, very good.   Picked up three 30+ inch fish on Sunday and about 8 in the 24- 28" range.   Subsequent days have been strong too.  Fishing mostly live bait, but have been picking up a few on my home-made poppers too.   There are lots of mackerel and pogies around.  Hope to hit it hard the rest of the week.    Hope today's rain pushes some fish out of the rivers.  

Good luck all...

2 hours ago, Nbourque said:

You can save a lot of time and effort by researching wind directions and tides. It took me many years to realize this. If you want to meet in person I would be happy to give you some tips. You have a lot of spirit !!! Let’s get you on some fish without these struggles you  have been facing !!! 

1 hour ago, Topside2 said:

Fishing the Harpswell area this week and it's been very, very good.   Picked up three 30+ inch fish on Sunday and about 8 in the 24- 28" range.   Subsequent days have been strong too.  Fishing mostly live bait, but have been picking up a few on my home-made poppers too.   There are lots of mackerel and pogies around.  Hope to hit it hard the rest of the week.    Hope today's rain pushes some fish out of the rivers.  

Good luck all...

Same results down in Scarborough and Kennebunk in the last week !!! What a year this has been !!!

I went out in my kayak this morning at the start of the flood tide. Caught some schoolies on tube and worm until I found a pogies school. I tried snag and drop and livelining to no avail. I tried bringing them along the rocky shore but they eventually tangled themselves in lobster traps and broke off and that was that. The schools I did come across were smaller and more spread out than the last time I was out front over a week ago but I still didn’t mark any bass on them. I meant to also try some soft plastics on jig heads but I ran out of time. 

How soon do you guys think before the bigger bass are heading back up in the rivers? Or are we already there?

Edited by drmevo