Forum is quiet...how about some mid-August fishing reports?

Rate this topic

Topside2

I haven’t had my boat in the saltwater for 3 now almost 4 weeks compared to the end of June beginning of July when I was making 3-4 trips a week.... not sure I have been missing much but it’s time to find out for myself I guess.

i did do some pike fishing last Sunday on Magog, in Vt despite the warm water we caught 5 with all but one being in the low 30” range. 

Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after, If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

6 hours ago, Mousam said:

I can’t say it enough. If we want to CATCH fish we need to start with being RESPECTFUL and being role models to younger generations. 

We all make mistakes and that is all right!!! Now let’s LEARN from our mistakes. Let’s stop posting glory shots of little fish just to BOOST our egos. Let’s stop making jokes about our spouses or putting our families second or third. Let’s stop snagging pogies just for fun !!! Let’s also stop blaming the commercial fishermen !!!

Maybe we can all get together sometime and talk about how to make sure next season and future seasons is better. I will bring some lessons I learned from my grandpa. Is anyone interested in joining ???

Edited by BillB
WHile you don't have to agree with him, there is no excuse to be rude.

57 mins ago, Mousam said:

Come on my friend. Let’s focus on the fisheries !!!

Remember that when YOU start naming people on fb on here, the one you did in another post, is a friend of mine, know him well and I told him you did, and what about that small striper that you posted of yourself? that wasn't bragging? and you give everyone chit for posting? Grow up as grandpa would say...

12 hours ago, Tlacey21walden said:

I haven’t had my boat in the saltwater for 3 now almost 4 weeks compared to the end of June beginning of July when I was making 3-4 trips a week.... not sure I have been missing much but it’s time to find out for myself I guess.

i did do some pike fishing last Sunday on Magog, in Vt despite the warm water we caught 5 with all but one being in the low 30” range. 

Same here, I think the last time the boat  felt the salt was in the last week of June.

I still want to creep into the flats but without a push pole it’s a little difficult.  I can’t justify spending 600 hundred on a pole and another 400 - 500 hundred on shipping. 

Ive been searching arround locally for the past few months with no luck. 

Maybe I’ll get back out there soon and try my luck. 

I went out yesterday morning on the outgoing to try some more tube and worm. I caught the usual assortment of schoolies between my launch point and the mouth of the harbor. Then I trolled out front along the rocky shoreline, at a variety of depths, with nothing to show for it.

After about half a mile, I noticed some surface activity nearby and realized I had finally come upon some pogies. There were several schools probably stretching close to a half mile or more. I rushed to tie on my snag hook and was livelining one within a few minutes. I went to snag another and the hook broke off. That will teach me to take shortcuts and tie directly to braid. I tied on a 2 oz jig head (with a leader) and that worked decently enough. I tried a few different spots close to shore and further out and on different schools for a couple of hours with no takers, however. They seemed awfully big for all but a bruiser of a striper to take down whole, but I’ve only caught on mackerel and herring so what do I know. 

The highlight of the trip was a whale breaching about 20 yards from my kayak. It seemed to be going back and forth gulping down pogies. 

3 hours ago, Mack26 said:

Apologies Bill, it wont happen again. I just find his repetetive postings to be borderline antagonistic. I will have ZERO interaction with him in the future.

You don't have to agree/like with another SOL members post. But SOL rules are that you be civil, regardless. If it becomes too painful, then send me or SOL management a PM concerning the matter.