Shed base/foundation

Rate this topic

IsmailG

Ideally you should have a 4-6" compacted base of stonedust and then concrete block. If you have the compacted base, you could go direct with the PT. But prepping the surface is step one, if you are going to have any significant weight or spend any time in there. Winter curse will push it out of level if on just soil.

10x8. I just lined the base with blocks and put the PT frame on top, spot on the yard is almost perfectly level. Putting together the shed was another story, what a pain in the ass. Most of the holes where the tabs connect into weren't cut out properly.

for my 8x12 wood shed, I did 2 layers of PT 4x6 with 1" gravel that the shed sits on, basically a big sand box with PT having direct contact with the ground. Nailed the 4x6's together with rebar that penetrated to the ground. I notched the corners like lincoln logs with the rebar going through the corners.   Did it about 10 years ago. The PT 4x6's have begun to rot especially the bottom ones in contact with the ground. I've had one corner split so secured it back with 12" spikes. So far so good but at some point the PT box  will have to be replaced.  Not sure how I'm going to go about this.  At some point I'll have to jack the shed up and redo the base. Not looking forward to this job.

My suggestion, provide ample drainage.

Edited by rwalter7

CT

46 mins ago, rwalter7 said:

for my 8x12 wood shed, I did 2 layers of PT 4x6 with 1" gravel that the shed sits on, basically a big sand box with PT having direct contact with the ground. Nailed the 4x6's together with rebar that penetrated to the ground. I notched the corners like lincoln logs with the rebar going through the corners.   Did it about 10 years ago. The PT 4x6's have begun to rot especially the bottom ones in contact with the ground. I've had one corner split so secured it back with 12" spikes. So far so good but at some point the PT box  will have to be replaced.  Not sure how I'm going to go about this.  At some point I'll have to jack the shed up and redo the base. Not looking forward to this job.

My suggestion, provide ample drainage.

Sounds like a problem for future 10 years me lol

If I had to do it over again, I would have compacted the area and put down some pavers then put the 4x6's on them and maybe put some pavers in the sand box and the gravel on top of the pavers.  Over the 10 or 12 years that has been some settling due to weight.

CT