Epoxy Question

Rate this topic

Voo31

maybe something on the plug before epoxy, paint not dry, or something introduced into the epoxy(like silicone lubricant in syringe)

"If you know that and you don't know anything else you know more than if you know everything else and you don't know that."

I get this some times when using CW Epoxy (Wolfcreek Epoxy). I use a rotator. It has to do with the surface that you are putting the epoxy on. 
The best solution is to give the lure a second coat of Epoxy before the first coat is completely set. The second coat will fill in the blank spots and even out, giving your lure the perfect finish. 
At least this is so for CW Epoxy. 
I can also say that the CW Epoxy is UV resistant, Crystal clear, and doesn't yellow over time like other epoxy types do. 

I’d guess it is something other than saw dust

system 3 is a great product but very finicky and particularly thin; 30 minute flip times seem long; did you notice an absence of epoxy at the top of the plug when you flipped them?

etex lite (Michaels craft store) is more foolproof though if contamination is the issue it won’t fix that

"If you know that and you don't know anything else you know more than if you know everything else and you don't know that."

Etex is a one to one ratio resin to hardener, if I remember right system 3, is 2 to 1 (volume)

Edited by rollincoal

its definitely not too thick of a coat making that surface, humidity would only prolong the cure time. didn't mix it long enough?

I use bob smith 30 minute epoxy slow cure, I usually use a spinner but it hardens fast enough to flip it frequently. smooth tough finish, a bit glossy though

20 mins ago, tiizzyy said:

... didn't mix it long enough?

...and I do believe it is a good policy to mix in one cup, then pour into another before applying as recommended by some manufacturers

Edited by rollincoal

What brand of paint did you use ?

I had that issue once and after speaking with engineers at the paint co and the epoxy co it was the difference in surface tension between the two products that had cause the problem. The explanation got super technical, a lot of math I'm not smart enough to grasp, but the bottom line was that some paints and some epoxies simply don't like each other

If it was Createx or one of the other paints that we use all the time it could have been silicone contamination from some part of the mixing process, some cups and some syringes have silicone, or it just could have been a mismeasure.

Last but not least it just could have been a Sh## happens thing. You'll only know if it does it a second time.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

On 8/14/2018 at 1:06 PM, Voo31 said:

Ok I'll look into that, thank you. Is there an epoxy that can be used with just a flipping method?

If you're trying to achieve that glass, perfect finish, I've found nothing can do that like a spinner. They cost about $35 - 40 bucks to build, and they'll last a lifetime. 

• 3 weeks later...

From my personal experience I have found the following things key to a good epoxy coat. 

Use steril syringes 

pour the hardner in one cup , syringe your measurement and deposit it into a master cup, then pour your resin in another cup and syringe your measurement and pour into the master cup.  

Mix for min 5 minutes at 70 degrees, mix longer if 80-85 degrees.  

Like Sudsy said certain paints dont go well with certain epoxy products, thats all trial and error.  

Having a spinner is really helpful also. I like the slow 1-2 rpm motors myself. 

On 8/14/2018 at 6:59 PM, tiizzyy said:

I use bob smith 30 minute epoxy slow cure, I usually use a spinner but it hardens fast enough to flip it frequently. smooth tough finish, a bit glossy though

30 minute is far from a slow cure

Envirotex and West are a full 24 hours, you can stop flipping after about 3 hours depending on how thick the coat.

The longer the cure, the stronger the epoxy

I use both the spinner and the flip technique depending on the number of plugs I'm doing, if it's just one or two i flip, if its a full run I spin.

Used to only flip, this was the PVC rack I made to do it, much better than one at a time:

P2280019.JPG.00209a875d4fd81d605b310d8b5f3d73.JPG

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

And some of those are first coat, still have the coat hanger wire holders that I use to paint and first coat, some are second

I assemble after the first coat and then do a second. You can tell by whether it has a wire through it or small bent hooks on each end (in the photo there the poppers are first coat, swimmers are second) 

Edited by Sudsy

On 8/14/2018 at 2:15 PM, Countryfisher said:

I get this some times when using CW Epoxy (Wolfcreek Epoxy). I use a rotator. It has to do with the surface that you are putting the epoxy on. 
The best solution is to give the lure a second coat of Epoxy before the first coat is completely set. The second coat will fill in the blank spots and even out, giving your lure the perfect finish. 
At least this is so for CW Epoxy. 
I can also say that the CW Epoxy is UV resistant, Crystal clear, and doesn't yellow over time like other epoxy types do. 

I assume the second coat is with a with a fresh mix?

Oh, and thanks for tip about CW Epoxy. I've tried lots of epoxies over the years and now this is my favorite. And I couldn't believe how fast the shipping from Sweden was. 

"...we used a tracking method."  - Dale Monroe

30 mins ago, Sudsy said:

30 minute is far from a slow cure

Envirotex and West are a full 24 hours, you can stop flipping after about 3 hours depending on how thick the coat.

The longer the cure, the stronger the epoxy

I use both the spinner and the flip technique depending on the number of plugs I'm doing, if it's just one or two i flip, if its a full run I spin.

Used to only flip, this was the PVC rack I made to do it, much better than one at a time:

P2280019.JPG.00209a875d4fd81d605b310d8b5f3d73.JPG

Thats a brilliant contraption, I wish my brain worked faster sometimes. Ill try that and the more accurate mixing cup method, hopefully that solves my problem and I can start actually putting them in my bag