casting test of ultra light 10' Black Hole Suzuki rod

Rate this topic

ksong

I fished Cape Cod Canal today and I met Butch Nappi. I asked him to cast the light 10' Black Hole Suzuki rod with heavy 4 oz ( ?) Magic Swimmer for taking video. 

He did not lob and cast with his full force. 

The rod is not for casting 4 oz lure, but I can safely say that the rod can handle lure upto 3 oz.

The rating of the rod is 1/2 oz - 2 oz. 

Definitely not a lob, but not full force either. However, I can attest to this rod. I've tossed a 3.25 oz popper with this rod no problem. At that weight it does load early in the motion and it takes some finesse to toss that kind of weight. But the rod is well capable of it.

I own the rod and I am not sure I am confident enough in my own casting to attempt that cast with that weight. I do find it incredibly versatile however. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

23 mins ago, tomkaz said:

I own the rod and I am not sure I am confident enough in my own casting to attempt that cast with that weight. I do find it incredibly versatile however. 

I asked Butch to cast harder, but it seems he doesn't have confidence enough. :)  I cast the rod with my full force for several hours in Cape Cod Canal. 

20180814_054013.jpg

I am sorry for asking Butch Nappi to cast the light 10' rod with heavy lure I am asked from many anglers how many oz lure the rod can handle and I like to show them with heavy lures. It is not Cape Cod Canal rod, but for albie or school striper.

Don't know why you're sorry, but ok. There's no doubt this rod is a beast. It's my go to rod for the bay in the spring and tossing lighter plugs out front.  However, to call this a schoolie rod is a huge understatement. I'm sure this rod is well capable of handling a 30# + fish. I haven't had the opportunity to hook into anything of size with this rod yet, but I'm sure when I do I won't feel outgunned. 

Got mine the other day so had to make a quick run to do some test casting. I thought I had more in my van but the heaviest I had with me was a 3oz diamond jig and it launched it. In the begining I was a bit nervous being that it was new and all, but I wanted to test it so I can know its limit. It did feel a bit heavy at the tip. I did use full strength toward the end and felt it could handle a little more. How much more I probably will never know lol as I have my 9'6" BH and other rods for that. I will however test cast your rod with as much weight as you want with full force.

Edited by DaveBKNY