Fish Battles

Rate this topic

peterk1234

My younger brother does not share my love of fishing but every once and a while I drag him out, often to a pond but a few days ago I took him to the canal. Very gratifying to watch him land a number of very nice bass.

20180816_054850.jpg.00e78a778554541b696eae2a90058b57.jpg

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

I have some great battles in the memory bank. But the one that kicked my butt was a sting ray that was a size of a small car. This thing took me 45 min to bring in and I was using a Newell 334 on a 6-16 lami. Thought I had a huge shark the way this thing took drag, but when I got him to the first bar I realized what I had, took me a quarter mile down the beach. A cut thru the bar helped me get this ray to shore I knew I had a big fish but this thing was a giant for sure. This was on a south shore beach on Long Island.  

On 8/17/2018 at 1:41 PM, robc22 said:

Great story about ur hunting bud pete......

BTW.....Do any 8 n bait fishing yet?

Only once about a month ago.  Had my rod nearly bent in half but then he let it go.  Caught a huge scup though :)  I'm gonna have to try again soon.  Lazy man's fishing but it is fun to see that rod curl.  

2 hours ago, hydraman said:

I have some great battles in the memory bank. But the one that kicked my butt was a sting ray that was a size of a small car. This thing took me 45 min to bring in and I was using a Newell 334 on a 6-16 lami. Thought I had a huge shark the way this thing took drag, but when I got him to the first bar I realized what I had, took me a quarter mile down the beach. A cut thru the bar helped me get this ray to shore I knew I had a big fish but this thing was a giant for sure. This was on a south shore beach on Long Island.  

Check out the cownose ray reports on the NJ forum. Sounds similar, often results in a spooling for a big one.

Pfantum Pfishah

Well last night I had what is probably the best battle with a bass that have encountered.at the end of my cast in a ripping current I hook up and off she goes.there qwas no stopping for about two thirds of my spool and then my drag starts slippping.at this point I figure it's lost so I start cupping the spool it finally slows down and I start gaining and then it sort of dies Iit felt like I was reeling in a bale of hay. As I let the fish in my light I see it was tail hooked in the last bit of meat on the taik.unfortunately it was close to lifeless and bleeding badly.haven't weighed it but it's close to 40 lbs really makes you wonder when you lose what you think is a big fish

44 mins ago, strats'n'stripers said:

I had the same thing happen with a fish in the mid 20’s last season. I can’t imagine having to deal with a 40lb class fish in the same way. At  least you know all your tackle is in good shape!

Similar thing happened to me but a striper around 30 lb on a sandy beach. I  was on them good this day had the beach all to myself. I hook this fish on the belly right on the bottom thought I had a fish of a lifetime the way it fought.  I was not happy because the fish had to go home with me.  I won’t keep anything over 30 inches. But it was good eating nothing waisted head and body made great fish stock and soop the fillets went to a bbq everything was eaten. 

RISAA has charter raffles for members at their monthly meeting ... my first trip about 4 years ago was a light tackle blues & bass out of Groton ... we fished Fishers Island and the race a bit with lots-o-blues ... headed back in and hit the tide where there are Stripers. I was casting a 6 inch storm shad on a 7 foot med weight spinning rod ... hooked into a cow ... she pulled drag for 3-4 minutes, and fought her for 10 ... then nothing ... reeled in the lure and the Captain says "well, she bent the hook ... must have been a real trophy" ...

fast forward a year and I'm on another charter I won out of Pt Jude for some Block Island early AM fishing ... hit the SW corner when the tide turned, and the Capt passes me a setup with a Diamond Jig and a dead eel on it ... says a friend from Montaug turned him on to this ... sure enough, I hook into another cow ... easily 10 minutes of fight where I was almost spooled twice ... and BANG line goes slack. Reel it in and AGAIN the hook was straightened ... are you kidding me?

Fast foward one more year, and my charter trip was a night run to Block with 3 others, again with light spinning gear drifting eels. I tell the others about my last two mis-adventures so they know I'm wanting a big girl. We hit the south side of Block as the tide is dying and the sun still up ... Capt says not to expect much for another hour but lets drop eels here ... mine is not down for more than 30 seconds when I hook up, and its another big fish. 4-5 minutes fight and BANG, she is off. My frustration is now off the charts. I did manage a gator blue 5 minutes later, small consolation. Meanwhile, my trip-mates are landing their own personal bests over the next 2 hours ... a 42# and a 45#, along with several others in the 20s. I FINAL got a hookup and managed to land a 35 inch fish after a decent, but smaller than the lost fish, battle. Nice to get the Bass-skunk off though.

The group managed another couple of fish and it was about time to leave for home ... Capt says this is the last drift. I dropped the eel down and get a take ... let the fish run with the eel for 10 seconds and then set the hook ... battle on. Drag is screaming, I'm pumping and doing everything I can to keep the line taught ... I wasn't going to loose this one. What seemed like hours later (8 minutes I was told ...) I reeled in a beautie ... 43#, personal best ... I kissed her and released her for another day.

3 hours ago, jeffreyrichard said:

RISAA has charter raffles for members at their monthly meeting ... my first trip about 4 years ago was a light tackle blues & bass out of Groton ... we fished Fishers Island and the race a bit with lots-o-blues ... headed back in and hit the tide where there are Stripers. I was casting a 6 inch storm shad on a 7 foot med weight spinning rod ... hooked into a cow ... she pulled drag for 3-4 minutes, and fought her for 10 ... then nothing ... reeled in the lure and the Captain says "well, she bent the hook ... must have been a real trophy" ...

fast forward a year and I'm on another charter I won out of Pt Jude for some Block Island early AM fishing ... hit the SW corner when the tide turned, and the Capt passes me a setup with a Diamond Jig and a dead eel on it ... says a friend from Montaug turned him on to this ... sure enough, I hook into another cow ... easily 10 minutes of fight where I was almost spooled twice ... and BANG line goes slack. Reel it in and AGAIN the hook was straightened ... are you kidding me?

Fast foward one more year, and my charter trip was a night run to Block with 3 others, again with light spinning gear drifting eels. I tell the others about my last two mis-adventures so they know I'm wanting a big girl. We hit the south side of Block as the tide is dying and the sun still up ... Capt says not to expect much for another hour but lets drop eels here ... mine is not down for more than 30 seconds when I hook up, and its another big fish. 4-5 minutes fight and BANG, she is off. My frustration is now off the charts. I did manage a gator blue 5 minutes later, small consolation. Meanwhile, my trip-mates are landing their own personal bests over the next 2 hours ... a 42# and a 45#, along with several others in the 20s. I FINAL got a hookup and managed to land a 35 inch fish after a decent, but smaller than the lost fish, battle. Nice to get the Bass-skunk off though.

The group managed another couple of fish and it was about time to leave for home ... Capt says this is the last drift. I dropped the eel down and get a take ... let the fish run with the eel for 10 seconds and then set the hook ... battle on. Drag is screaming, I'm pumping and doing everything I can to keep the line taught ... I wasn't going to loose this one. What seemed like hours later (8 minutes I was told ...) I reeled in a beautie ... 43#, personal best ... I kissed her and released her for another day.

Great story great ending

troll #122  <*)))<