Cape Cod Canal this morning

Rate this topic

ksong

Won’t see me fishing there.  Too much BS.  Tangled lines and fighting people all day ain’t for me.  Plenty of fish to be caught elsewhere.  Hope you at least catch a big one. Have seen some pics of people 5 feet away so you’re doing well.  

Edited by Mikeinri

12 mins ago, Mikeinri said:

Won’t see me fishing there.  Too much BS.  Tangled lines and fighting people all day ain’t for me.  Plenty of fish to be caught elsewhere.  Hope you at least catch a big one. Have seen some pics of people 5 feet away so you’re doing well.  

"pics of people 5 feet away" yesterday each side

canal.jpg

Edited by codfish

Was there for a 3 day stint and let me tell you.... When you are at a spot that people don't know of as a 'honey hole' and get on em every cast it is truly the Canal dream you hear about (happened to us Friday), but when you go to a known area that produces all etiquette goes out the window whether is is a local guy or out of stater next to you.

We posted up around 3am and by 5 people were showing up and squeezing in 5ft next to you then complaining when they sweep their jig over your line and end up with a tangle.... The allure of a 40 class fish does strange things to people.

It’s sad to see what’s going on at the canal the last couple of years. I feel bad for the locals. I always wanted to do a trip to the canal,  but I think I’m going to wait some years now till this cycle of bass moves on from the canal. I hope they stop showing up in those numbers so the fishing can go back to some sort of normalcy. I seen the same thing happened to Montauk years back and I stopped going. But it seems it calm down the last couple of years and it’s been much more pleasant to go fishing in Montauk. Hope you guys get your canal back before it’s to late. 

In my opinion it comes down to regulations and enforcement. Places with access like the canal and fish in numbers like that need better rules and regs as well as Fish and Game presence. We were there for three days and saw ZERO D&R.

I practice strict CPR, my choice and I think a great service to the fishery. But with how easy it is to simply buy a combo rod and a magic swimmer and catch a decent fish, it brings out everyone and their cousin to come with the 'fill the freezer' mentality... So sad to see the hundreds of dead cows leaving the canal. 

You know it's bad when people get mad at you for releasing a sub 28in fish saying "Oooo that looked so delicious why did you let go???"

Those cows don’t even taste good.  But they have to keep them because by the time the measure it and weight it and photos and show everyone it’s dead anyway.  

Keep your good spots secret everyone!!

When I’m in my waders and it’s 2 am and I catch a big one i’m by myself theres nobody to show.. and can’t access my phone easily not that the pic would even show up. But it’s either enjoy it and get a chance to catch that fish again 10 lbs heavier or take people and pics and your spot looks like the ccc next year.