Buying blanks in person

Rate this topic

MikebDE29

I love looking at fishing gear and rod building stuff online so I can get a few ideas of what to build, what to fish etc.... I also love window shopping online. I look at all sorts of crap I’ll more then likely never buy or use! Well this week I’m kinda in a rush to get a new rod built. I got my brand new Renzetti Rod lathe, I got a fluke trip coming up on the 19th in north jersey. As easy as it is to order a blank from a tackle shops website or whatever, I don’t have the time to wait for shipping. So without further ado, where can I go to buy a blank that I can actually pick up and hold and feel? I’m from Philadelphia and don’t have any issue driving north or south. Any suggestions???? 

do a web search  on rod building supplies,   as it will take time to build it , there is Billy V up that way he makes rods [good job also] ,  don't know if he sells blanks an the stuff that goes on the blank , look around on this forum an drop him a E mail, he loves to TALK ROD BUILDING  

Yea I sent him a email this morning. He sells all that stuff. I bought my first Rod geeks blank from him last year when I attended my first gathering. He hooked me up with everything that I needed to build it. The whole reason I’m trying to find a place to buy a blank is bc of time. I’m not the fastest rod builder in the northeast lol. Some might not even consider me a rod builder, more like a diy hack that caught the rod building bug. 

Might also post in the BST - as for shipping GetBit is pretty fast, MH slow, not tried the Rod Room - pay express & it's there in 2 days !!!!!

Morone Saxatilis... God put them in the Surf to take them, not in the freaking boat!

If I dont find a blank that I can hold and feel, then I’m gonna have to express ship it. I would love to feel a rod in my hand :wee:  jk ha ha ha. I did post in the BST. When I order online I tend to buy crap that is either wrong, terrible product, or both wrong and terrible. Lack of time and bad judgment of online products has led me to go about buying stuff in person. Thanks for suggestions tho. Keep em coming fellas 

Any place that sells custom rods will keep a few blanks in stock. I think versitex is somewhere near Philly. I know johnnys pond is in pa somewhere. Grumpys b and t might be an option.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

Mike, I've been on vacation for the last week adn a half, I'll reply to your e-mail when I get back.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

18 hours ago, MikebDE29 said:

If I dont find a blank that I can hold and feel, then I’m gonna have to express ship it. I would love to feel a rod in my hand :wee:  jk ha ha ha. I did post in the BST. When I order online I tend to buy crap that is either wrong, terrible product, or both wrong and terrible. Lack of time and bad judgment of online products has led me to go about buying stuff in person. Thanks for suggestions tho. Keep em coming fellas 

The blank will feel different, when made up.

On 8/12/2018 at 1:20 PM, MikebDE29 said:

When I order online I tend to buy crap that is either wrong, terrible product, or both wrong and terrible.

This is common. I am speaking for myself here, the benefit of ordering from me is that I know the products I use, design, recommend, and sell inside and out, and I never BS someone just to get a sale. I'lll tell you exactly what the rod is capable of, I'll also find out how you personally fish, the rods you are currently fishing, and what you are lookin gto achieve going with a new blank for your application. I have no problem tell you that the products I sell and have designed are not going to work for you. I know being upfront and honest and losing a sale today, will gain trust and in the future that person will take my recommendation and trust my opinion.

Unfortuantely, this is not the case everywhere. Most people selling products do not have an extensive knowledge of that fishing application, and will give you general info based on prior customers opinions. THey aren't steering you wrong, they are just doing the best they can to provide you with the info that they have.

Even if you feel a blank yourself, quite often you do not know what you are looking for - I can't tell you how many times someone has come to me and todl me what they want in a rod, I todl them they arne't going to like the blank they are bending. THen next year after they fished it they tell me yeah you were right I should have listened to you in teh first place.

Edited by Billy 40

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

17 hours ago, i07nyc said:

Any place that sells custom rods will keep a few blanks in stock. I think versitex is somewhere near Philly. I know johnnys pond is in pa somewhere. Grumpys b and t might be an option.

Versitex is near King of Prussia, IIRC. They are technically not open to the public, I believe, but I've heard of guys knocking on their back door and being able to buy blanks in person. Your mileage may vary.

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.