Tsunami Needlefish Size Variation

Rate this topic

wtfooptimax200

On a recent trip to Basspro I was looking at the 6” Tsunami Needlefish.  They all had the same sku (with the exception of the color code).  There was a very obvious difference in plug diameter between colors, but within each color they were all fairly consistent (I.e. all whites were similar diameter and all blurples were similar).  Is this just a Tsunami quality control issue?  Is there some other reason that I’m missing.

47E9D52B-F4AA-43B6-AB0D-F9EF90D6579B.jpeg

C3D4CB61-328E-40F8-ACC7-2E2E2E993EBD.jpeg

Roddy and Redfin, I too was suspicious of optical illusion, but the pics don't do it justice.  Side by side the white is definitely significantly larger than blurple.  Olive/white was middle of the road.  The pics definitely don't show the whole story, I was just throwing them in to break up the boredom of a post with only text.  I'm guessing it's the waste issue that Roddy pointed out.  The next time I get back to the store I'll bring my calipers with me and get a measurement on these guys.  It'll make for interesting discussion.

6 hours ago, wtfooptimax200 said:

Roddy and Redfin, I too was suspicious of optical illusion, but the pics don't do it justice.  Side by side the white is definitely significantly larger than blurple.  Olive/white was middle of the road.  The pics definitely don't show the whole story, I was just throwing them in to break up the boredom of a post with only text.  I'm guessing it's the waste issue that Roddy pointed out.  The next time I get back to the store I'll bring my calipers with me and get a measurement on these guys.  It'll make for interesting discussion.

indeed it would make for something interesting.

one thing that could be a solid thing,,perhaps the diffs between them would make for some kind of interesting action\fish catching ability.

since they don't want to waste anything they may have even balanced them all slightly diff to keep them working the right way,,not sure.

hope we get to see.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Ok, I got impatient.  It’s a 1 hour drive for me to BPS, but I was nearby Cabela’s today,  They only had the 7.5” needles, but I took a peek anyways.  I easily found 2 blurples that were clearly different. While these were definitely different diameters, the variation was not nearly as much as with the previously mentioned 6.5” models.  I ended up buying 4 plugs for measuring purposes (likely to be returned because I’m not impressed with the quality as one already had a chipped finish).  Here are the numbers from the two blurples for your viewing pleasure.

E4DFCE81-6728-4C98-8AC8-FDE7A21D0CBA.jpeg.076c24b40c21c52ea07c54abfd45c51e.jpegB28BB8AB-C4D8-40F3-AAAB-992B68EAAE1F.jpeg.eec95181d1a5d44ac5086f57d2749edc.jpeg53CC0BAC-47A4-4919-9800-9DC023B20B03.jpeg.40dc378d016e1fb672feddba103d267e.jpegB4B46758-4E2B-4C53-A90F-99A74C88795A.jpeg.5499d1ac3169025dcddf2c2b56f32739.jpegCE6CDC81-71D2-490A-887E-4F9378AD1640.jpeg.5b376019ac31798235851b8cf5c9d783.jpeg8AB6D83C-FAFD-4833-96BA-9742477D14C2.jpeg.6ecc5953adeba17e7d275670dbb025df.jpegCEC64D8D-584C-4123-B0C2-58BF0EAA0A7B.jpeg.73126cc1a1f913ad98bc799f79c27e60.jpeg92E3E100-5CCC-4121-9863-76CFB6AAAFD6.jpeg.028f096d938ea54559ac5ab3a6188549.jpeg

Do any plug builders out there have any input about these tolerances?  Are these within the expected range of variation or are they garbage?

There isnt a wooden plug on the planet that is consistent...and even the SS plastic darters have variation.  This is not just a tsunami thing.

Recommend that you test all your plugs and use their attributes to your advantage.  Some are heavier...some lighter...some float higher...some dig deeper.  Embrace their differences....

23 mins ago, puppet said:

There isnt a wooden plug on the planet that is consistent...and even the SS plastic darters have variation.  This is not just a tsunami thing.

Recommend that you test all your plugs and use their attributes to your advantage.  Some are heavier...some lighter...some float higher...some dig deeper.  Embrace their differences....

Understood, but I would think that a needlefish, which is likely turned on a CNC Lathe in China would be fairly uniform.  Of course, wood density, grain pattern, etc would provide for some "under the hood" variation that gives wood plugs their uniqueness, but the overally shapes/size should be quite similar.  Everything has a manufacturing tolerance, I understand that, I was just hoping that Tsunami would be able to do better for $19.  I'll just spend a couple bucks more on a locally produced, higher quality product that gives me more enjoyment.

28 mins ago, wtfooptimax200 said:

Understood, but I would think that a needlefish, which is likely turned on a CNC Lathe in China would be fairly uniform.  Of course, wood density, grain pattern, etc would provide for some "under the hood" variation that gives wood plugs their uniqueness, but the overally shapes/size should be quite similar.  Everything has a manufacturing tolerance, I understand that, I was just hoping that Tsunami would be able to do better for $19.  I'll just spend a couple bucks more on a locally produced, higher quality product that gives me more enjoyment.

Part of what i was getting at was that there is always variance.  Exploit the attributes handed to you. 

A nuance of an inch in most cases will not matter much.  How it behaves in the water is much more crtitical.  Then how you decide to fish that plug.

I know a plugmaker of needles. His needles are all over the map. Some float, some sink..and they definitely are different diameters and sizes.  I use each one for what its attributes are. I crush fish on all of them even though they technically are not the same plug.  The only thing that sucks is when you buy them you have no idea what they do.

For $20...try to make a needle yourself and keep track of your  time and materials. Consider your hourly rate.  It is insane that we can buy wooden plugs for 20 bucks.