End of September Trip DIY or Guide?

Rate this topic

bluemarmalade

I Travel out to the Cape a few times a year to work at the Air Force station. The last few trips I was able to wet a line wade fishing on the weekends and afternoons.  I Have my first trip to the Cape for leisure this September. I was wondering if it was worth getting a guide and Boat. I have a couple college friends joining me this time, and we all fish well for Trout here in Colorado. I have had some great days wading on the cape but was looking to see if it is much better with a guide and boat? In Colorado a Guide usually can get you on awesome private water with a fraction of what the rest of the state sees. I have a great time when I head out there for work, and even missed a chance to go on a boat after striking up conversation with a local at a bar when he overheard us talking about our day fishing. Unfortunately we had work the next day when he was heading out. The locals out in the cape have been nothing but helpful and awesome! Another side story the first striper I caught was from a fly given to me by an angler in a parking lot. we pulled up and saw all the fly fishing stickers on the truck and asked how he did. He was getting into a bunch of schoolies and handed us a handful of flies he tied and told us to have fun!  I am counting down the days until I can get back out there

Falmouth in September means albies, so get a guide with a boat and when you’re on the boat  ask him where to fish from shore for stripers.

JC

I have been going with the same Cape Cod Orvis Certified guide for the last 15 years:

Tony Bisky. 508 241 8669. tony@c4.net

He runs a new 23' Jones Brothers out of Harwich Port.

Very honest and won't take you out just to take your money.  He loves to fish the Monomoy flats.  So bring your waders - but at that time of year you can probably wet wade.

Other favorite places of his are the many rips off Monomoy where the fish hit hard.  They are there to eat - 20# leaders don't cut it -  use 30#.

Big flys needed. I always use 10wts.  You will need a sinker and floater.

If you do contact him - tell him Herb told you to contact him.

I always go with him in May or June.  So the fishery may be different in September - but he will fill you in.

And - don't hesitate to ask him where you can wade fish from shore - as Jon says.

Oh ---- Don't know about September --- but in June Monomoy flats had tons of big fish cruising in 1' of water,  Could see them from 80' away.  But all they wanted were crabs.  So practice casting with them.  Maybe bring your favorites.

Regards,

Herb

Edited by HL

Mike,

Just one - the smallest of the lot...of course.

Neither one of us had anything that looked what they were rooting for.  Many fish turned on my fly but turned it down.

It was freaky to see fish coming at you from 80' away.  They were flashing as they turned sideways to pick-up what we assumed were crabs.

Your TH blanks have shipped.

Herb

41 mins ago, HL said:

Mike,

Just one - the smallest of the lot...of course.

Neither one of us had anything that looked what they were rooting for.  Many fish turned on my fly but turned it down.

It was freaky to see fish coming at you from 80' away.  They were flashing as they turned sideways to pick-up what we assumed were crabs.

Your TH blanks have shipped.

Herb

Thank Herb

look out for an email.

mike

On 8/10/2018 at 9:35 PM, HL said:

I have been going with the same Cape Cod Orvis Certified guide for the last 15 years:

Tony Bisky. 508 241 8669. tony@c4.net

He runs a new 23' Jones Brothers out of Harwich Port.

Very honest and won't take you out just to take your money.  He loves to fish the Monomoy flats.  So bring your waders - but at that time of year you can probably wet wade.

Other favorite places of his are the many rips off Monomoy where the fish hit hard.  They are there to eat - 20# leaders don't cut it -  use 30#.

Big flys needed. I always use 10wts.  You will need a sinker and floater.

If you do contact him - tell him Herb told you to contact him.

I always go with him in May or June.  So the fishery may be different in September - but he will fill you in.

And - don't hesitate to ask him where you can wade fish from shore - as Jon says.

Oh ---- Don't know about September --- but in June Monomoy flats had tons of big fish cruising in 1' of water,  Could see them from 80' away.  But all they wanted were crabs.  So practice casting with them.  Maybe bring your favorites.

Regards,

Herb

Thanks this is awesome ill check him out!

Dave Peros does light tackle charters out of Falmouth, knows what he's doing, and works very hard for his clients.  Mid Sept-Oct is MV derby time in Vineyard Sound which means you'll have plenty of derby dicks to contend with.   Keep in mind that three guys on a fly fishing charter generally means only two can fish at a time.