Frank5

Re-using terminal tackle

7 posts in this topic

Like many or most of you who use them, I pre-tie leader rigs, bag each one up individually in 4 inch x 4 inch 6 mil heavy duty zip lock bags and fill the slots and keep them in a CD case, which is maybe the best idea of come across on SOL btw. 

So not only do i try to store my terminal components out of harms way of the elements and wear and tear while not using, but i also wash whatever leader and terminal gear i use with fresh water after each outing. 

My question is this: when it’s time to scrap or retire the leader that you’ve been using, do you all recycle/reuse the terminal gear like swivels and clips? 

More specifically, I’m interested in hearing after what point or how long will you stop reusing the terminal parts barring that there is no obvious signs of rust, etc? 

I also re-use swivels, snaps again. If there not damaged I keep them on. Rigs I sharpen hooks every time I use them. If there not twisted or mangled , I'll use the only 2 or 3 times. But I try to use the best terminal tackle I can get.

Posted (edited)

I store pre tied leaders/with quality snaps and swivels too and rinse them after every trip. I have reused them many times but when snaps ( Berkeley cross lock and Breakaway) get older and have some continued stress I toss them out. The barrel swivels are used over and over but check them for stress. I retie used leader(s) too after each trip and check my knots and snaps/swivels by pulling them as hard as I think a big bass will. If they pass the test I put them in a small zip lock bag.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

I reuse TA clips and swivels...unless they show signs of wear and/or possibility of failure.  Over the years, I've had swivels break and lost fish when thhe old duo-lock clips opened up and got straightened..  I've yet to have a TA clip fail on me.