the_tin_squid

Strange Plastic Swimbait Mass Suicide

23 posts in this topic

Mr C prob right .. I have many of the same spooks been in my trunk years in a dark grey car that gets crazy hot and never seen nothing like that .. but sure have seen plastics react with each other before 

1 hour ago, SC said:

My guess is that they were stored in a closed plastic box and that the plastic reacted somehow with one or more of the lures. I have had Mirrolures turn completely white and take on quite a petroleum type of odor when stored in a closed box. I always suspected the white film and odor  was the result of a reaction between the plastic box and the plastic lures, never any deformities though. I would guess the affected lures all had something in common such as plastic composition or type of glue that was used to glue the two halves together assuming they were not sonic welded. Have any new lures been added to the box since the last time they were looked?

The thing is, some of these lures lived in this box for up to 3-4 years, only started happening this past month. If your suspicion is correct, these lures had been just holding together for dear life for years and this past month was the straw that broke the camels back.

14 hours ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

Just thinking outside the box here, but I bet this happened during your trip a month ago and not in your basement.

Fair consideration, so then, what would have caused this during my fishing trip a month ago?

11 mins ago, the_tin_squid said:

Fair consideration, so then, what would have caused this during my fishing trip a month ago?

High temps. Probably left in a hot car in the sun. 

Yours truly,

-Sherlock

I've seen that before. It's caused by high temperature. Nothing else. My guess is that although you'll swear those plugs have experience high temps before, on that particular day, when they warped, there was something different. Maybe the angle of the sun put them in direct sunlight and that was all it took to get them to critical "warp" temperature. 

22 hours ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

High temps. Probably left in a hot car in the sun. 

Yours truly,

-Sherlock

But most interior car parts are made of the same material.

I leave my GPS, radar detector, chargers for both, plastic phone charger, on the dash when we're at the beach for days at a time in the hot weather we had earlier and they're fine.

My rods, reels, and gear are always in my car when I'm not using them.

Strange!

Edited by glennsav