the_tin_squid

Strange Plastic Swimbait Mass Suicide

23 posts in this topic

I don't know what else to call it. Anyone ever have anything like this happen before?

Some facts to consider before taking guesses on this oddball event.

These lures:

-were in a basement with a temp that reached a high 75 degrees this past week and were not stored near any heating elements or boiler.

-were stored in a lure box with other lures that are still currently perfectly fine and usable.

-were NOT stored with soft plastics of any kind, nor had the lure box been used for soft plastic storage at any time.

-were fine one month ago on a fishing trip.

-are of varying quality and price, ranging from yo-zuri to chinese bootleg yo-zuri.

-are all splitting at the mold line, with varying degrees of this absolutely ridiculous but weirdly consistent jackknife deformity.

I am stumped. I can wrap my head around a sailfish being caught on a storm shad in the canal, but not this.

IMG_3017.JPG

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

IMG_3018.JPG

Before it happened did you have have them in a tackle box in the car or truck. Outside heat will make hotter in your vehicle.  Just guessing at answer to your zombie lures. 

I keep plugs in my trunk all year .. my car get so hot in some and never melted so def not heat .. efffin weird if you ask me .. I have some those same plugs been in there years with no ill effect .. I’m stumped on this one 

"Aliens". Did you find hush’s of Alien larvae nearby? 

I repainted several lures 2 years ago at the end of the season. I always cure them in the oven at a low setting for a short time. The mag darters deformed. I lost 3 of them. The others were fine. I think it. Is a different plastic that softens at a lower temperature. Bombers and Striper Strikes we're good.

16 hours ago, Chass510 said:

huh! curious if its happened to others as well

It happened to maybe 3 other lures in the box, so 8 total.

Those 8 were randomly dispersed in a box of 30 or so other plastic swimmers, some duplicates of plastic lures that are not effected at all and look fine.

15 hours ago, PoseidonSurf said:

Before it happened did you have have them in a tackle box in the car or truck. Outside heat will make hotter in your vehicle.  Just guessing at answer to your zombie lures. 

I move my lures quickly from my car to my basement, as things left in the car disappear in my neighborhood.

It looks more like they swelled and not melted.  the box restricted the swelling longitudinally so they bent to the side where there was some "wiggle" room.  I have no good guesses on the source of deformation. Did you load the plugs with some toxic juice?

My guess is that they were stored in a closed plastic box and that the plastic reacted somehow with one or more of the lures. I have had Mirrolures turn completely white and take on quite a petroleum type of odor when stored in a closed box. I always suspected the white film and odor  was the result of a reaction between the plastic box and the plastic lures, never any deformities though. I would guess the affected lures all had something in common such as plastic composition or type of glue that was used to glue the two halves together assuming they were not sonic welded. Have any new lures been added to the box since the last time they were looked?

Some solvent on your hands prior to puttin gaway.

Crazy glue, nail polish, nail polish revmover, rubbing alcohol, purell (alcohol) , zippo lighter fluid?  BUg spray , suntain lotion?    Is the box new, perhaps it off-gassed and .. ..

I know I am reaching here.