CR Yaker

Hobie owner survey

Hobie owners warranty claim survey due to cracked hull.    54 members have voted

1. 1. As an owner of a Hobie kayak, have you ever experienced a hull crack on a 2009 to most recent Hobie kayak and filed a warranty claim? (If 4 or more Hobies owned answer 3 kayaks closest to your percentage.)

• Yes, I have (1 hobie kayak)
    • No, I have not (1 hobie kayak)
    • Yes, I have (2 hobie kayaks)
    • No, I have not (2 hobie kayaks)
    • Yes, I have (1 hobie kayak) no, I have not (1 hobie kayak)
    • Yes, I have (3 hobie kayaks)
    • No, I have not (3 hobie kayaks)
    • Yes, I have (1 hobie kayak) no, I have not (2 hobie kayaks)
    • Yes, I have (2 hobie kayaks) no, I have not (1 hobie kayak)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

77 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hobie owners warranty claim survey due to cracked hull.   (If 4 or more Hobies owned answer 3 kayaks closest to your percentage.)  

EX.  

If you owned 4 Hobies without any filed warranty claim due to a hull crack.  Answer, no I have not  (3 kayaks).

EX

If you owned 9 hobie kayaks 2009 or newer model, 6 of which there was no hull crack warranty claim and 3 did.  

Answer Yes I have (1 kayak) no I have not (2 kayaks)

Edited by CR Yaker

If folks want to make comments here, I opened this thread up to do so.  Remember, no survey is perfect, this is just a rough perspective on warranty claims to no warranty claims due to hull cracks.  That is all.  If your hull cracked and you didn't file a claim then actually you would be counted as having no hull crack at all.  But feel free to add comment to this thread to disclose that fact.  

Sure, I'll make one. So far, Hobie is as full of crap as a Christmas goose.

According to them, these hull failure claims are at 1/2 of one percent. In your survey you already have 4 claims. That means, according to Hobie, you should have 800 kayaks reported here with no problem. Right now you are off by about a factor of 20.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, kross57 said:

Sure, I'll make one. So far, Hobie is as full of crap as a Christmas goose.

According to them, these hull failure claims are at 1/2 of one percent. In your survey you already have 4 claims. That means, according to Hobie, you should have 800 kayaks reported here with no problem. Right now you are off by about a factor of 20.

It's half full, Kross, the glass.  LOL

Keep in mind we are probably the toughest of users on their kayaks over recreational users.  Actually I'm quite surprised at the small number of filed claims, for a rough survey.  It's definitely no 50 to 100 percent as some folks like you like to portray on this forum, so far running a little under 10 percent.  I could imagine, depending on what exactly Hobie's (Matt's) numbers mean/cover, actually turn out to be true.

Edited by CR Yaker

I’ve owned 5. All 2007 and older so I can’t participate in the survey. My first was an 06 (maybe 05) outback, I had for 2-3 years, no issues for me.  Then I had an Adventure for a season or two. Last summer I sold my 3 2007 revos. From summer 07-12 they were used and abused for biweekly ecotours and guided kayak fishing at IBSP.  After that they were used primary by me and my friends for personal fishing. Other then a few bent masts, I rarely did any maintenance ( im not nice to my gear ;)) Sold them last year on Craigslist. Original cam lock drives, no issues. 

My dates may be off a bit, but they’re close. 

2 hours ago, CR Yaker said:

It's half full, Kross, the glass.  LOL

Keep in mind we are probably the toughest of users on their kayaks over recreational users.  Actually I'm quite surprised at the small number of filed claims, for a rough survey.  It's definitely no 50 to 100 percent as some folks like you like to portray on this forum, so far running a little under 10 percent.  I could imagine, depending on what exactly Hobie's (Matt's) numbers mean/cover, actually turn out to be true.

Oh, come on. Blah, blah, blah.  I never said 100 percent. Nobody here ever did. But Matt Miller of Hobie did make a claim of 1/2 of one percent. The numbers here are almost twenty times as bad. TWENTY! Not double. Not triple. Not even times 10. TWENTY. You can't spin that, no matter how hard you try.

Or, don't you believe your own survey?  :)

7 mins ago, kross57 said:

Or, don't you believe your own survey?  :)

I believe it for what it is.  Which has so far more than confirmed what I thought about the matter.  But I can't do a perfect survey for all types of Hobie users, like Hobie can.  So this survey can only be construed for what it is.  Hobie users (hopefully honestly replied as such) on a public forum called stripersonline.com in a sub category of Kayak and Kayak Fishing Forum.    That's all I can infer from it.  And so far this problem, as it appears here, is overblown no matter what kind of **** paper you try to wrap around it.  

2 hours ago, CR Yaker said:

I believe it for what it is.  Which has so far more than confirmed what I thought about the matter.  But I can't do a perfect survey for all types of Hobie users, like Hobie can.  So this survey can only be construed for what it is.  Hobie users (hopefully honestly replied as such) on a public forum called stripersonline.com in a sub category of Kayak and Kayak Fishing Forum.    That's all I can infer from it.  And so far this problem, as it appears here, is overblown no matter what kind of **** paper you try to wrap around it.  

You're never going to really know the answer to your question because this isn't a scientific survey. Hobie really can't either, because they only know when they get a complaint, and as we've already seen, some people just fix their own ships.

That being said, there's still enough information to know that it's a real problem for some owners.

1 hour ago, Santiago II said:

You're never going to really know the answer to your question because this isn't a scientific survey. Hobie really can't either, because they only know when they get a complaint, and as we've already seen, some people just fix their own ships.

That being said, there's still enough information to know that it's a real problem for some owners.

I think Hobie has a very good idea on failure rate.  But that covers a huge group of folks using them differently.  

Here we get a good idea of failure rate for the outgoing fisherman, some under toughest conditions.  Looks like we're running around the 10% failure rate, time frame unknown, but claims filed for any models from 2009 to current.  Yes, there are those who did not file a claim on older kayaks past 5 years and not counted.  

Is 10% good, no, but it's definitely not as bad as has been portrayed lately in some threads here.  

As current warranty stands, you get two years written, free replacement.  After that, it's under Hobie's grace, which seems to be prorated up to 5 years.  I don't know if they will sell you a hull only outside the 5 year mark for full value?  Probably makes more sense to part out the kayak and sell it, or give it a go like Santiago with fixing.   But always file claim no matter how long it's been.  You never know what Hobie might do.

Would a better explicit warranty, longer term be better?  Of course, would be nice to see.  Should this be considered a defect or a fact of life, hull cracks?  I don't know the answer to that, other than to take these facts into consideration when making a purchase.  Only you can decide if it's worth the expense with the given risk/reward of owning a Hobie Kayak.

Hope this survey has thrown a little light on the issue of hull cracking.  Thank you all for participating and hope to hear from others.

Edited by CR Yaker

If this survey shows anything, it is that Hobie is lying through their teeth about the failure rate. We have a cross section here of more than 40 kayaks, showing a 10% failure rate. That is extremely high given that the failure rate for other kayaks is very close to zero. For Matt Miller to claim a 0.5 rate is flat out ridiculous. And god knows how awful it was with the older ones. Remember, this problem was supposed to be fixed, and these are also among the most expensive kayaks you can buy.

How does Hobie handle this? With one of the worst warranties in the industry.

Sure, they love to talk about the huge favor they do people with their unwritten policy. But the fact that it is unwritten guarantees that very few folks know about it. Most will look at the formal 2-year policy and figure that's that. If Hobie truly wanted people to use that unwritten pro-rated warranty, they would put it in their literature or on their online warranty page. The only reason I heard about it is from all the people I know with cracked Hobies. 

Bottom line? Mirage drive is a wonder. Company is a POS.  

Also, there is no reason to think that recreational folks use their Hobies less or under milder conditions than we do. If anything, a touring kayaker puts far more miles on a boat than some guy dunking bait for porgies.  

Edited by kross57

I am just reading this thread driving back from the Cape! Too funny! We deal with facts here. When Matt Miller claims less than 1% I had to laugh! 

The old-style cam lock Hobies Had a very high failure rate. I don’t know the percentage but it was through the roof. Click and Go, no doubt is way better.