KSantangelo

Knot or Swivel?

20 posts in this topic

Swivel, I got used to casting a very long leader ( 4 1/2' plus). Tying complicated knots on a rock in the middle of the night with waves and wind beating you in the face isn't the ideal setting for tying said knots even though I can tie most of them fast during perfect conditions. The palomar and improved clinch knots are easy and I can tie each blind folded, and I trust them.  Plus, it may only be my perception but I've got to believe that knots going through guides hundreds of times suffer wear a little bit?

Edited by VanStaalSteve

When I first started surf fishing I used a swivel. Didn't like it hitting the guides. Also, when fishing a jetty I needed a long leader to grab, wrap around my hand and haul the fish up. Swivel didn't work.

I went to the double uni and had a few fail. Maybe my fault when I tied them.

Now I use an Albright, with two over hands to finish. Small knot, goes through the guides easily, and has stood up to the cow nose ray and snagged in rocks test. Easy to tie and never had a failure.

I do carry a few swivels for emergencies like if my hands are too cold to tie an Albright. Never needed em.

Albright knot for me. I have perfected this knot since my days of attaching dacron backing to fly line when I I first started fly fishing 13 years ago. Have never failed on me. Sometimes I'll switch up to the improved Albright or Alberto knot of the braided line I'm using is extra slick. 

The only time I'll use a  barrel swivel is when I'm fishing live eels to prevent kinks on the leader line.

Thanks for all the insight. I worry about the wear on the knots going through the guides. Like someone else mentioned earlier, I too keep a leader wallet with extra tied leaders in my plug bag. Just makes for a quicker turnaround, for me at least, in the wind at night. 

Hollow or solid braid?

When using a braided line, I only use braided Dacron, which is a hollow braid.

I splice the leader to the braid.

(run a couple inches of the mono inside the braid, exit the braid, re-insert the mono maybe a half inch from where it comes out, run another inch or two, exit again, trim, and bury the end of the mono in the braid.)

The braid acts like a Chinese finger trap; the harder the pull on the leader, the tighter the braid grips it.

For a solid braid, I'd probably use a knot. I'm not too thrilled about the idea of putting a swivel through my guides.