KSantangelo

Knot or Swivel?

20 posts in this topic

Which do you prefer for braid to mono leader? I’ve tried so many knots but I’ve gone back to the swivel. Can’t seem to find a knot I trust. Could just be that I’m a nervous wreck who’s petrified that my knot will slip when I have one on and I’ll never forgive myself. Or something. 

Posted (edited)

After last night, I am a believer of the Alberto knot. Braid to leader, I was hung up and had to pull my line out, my uni knot to Tactical clip broke before the Alberto knot and I tied my 50# leader with about 6 wraps for the unit knot.

Edited by GoodOneSam

2 mins ago, surfcast said:

Stick with the swivel !

I just have more confidence in it.  Tried Alberto, improved Albright. The double uni is just too hard, for me at least, at night in the dark. So swivel has been it this year. So far at least. 

29 mins ago, KSantangelo said:

I just have more confidence in it.  Tried Alberto, improved Albright. The double uni is just too hard, for me at least, at night in the dark. So swivel has been it this year. So far at least. 

Really? I'd say the Alberto would be hard at night, the double uni I can tie with my eyes closed, it's a lot fast to tie than the Alberto but I just don't trust it. 

2 mins ago, GoodOneSam said:

Really? I'd say the Alberto would be hard at night, the double uni I can tie with my eyes closed, it's a lot fast to tie than the Alberto but I just don't trust it. 

I’m hoping to get better in time, with more practice, at tying knots at night on shore. I’m still pretty new at this, and I get nervous and mess up. Practice, practice, practice :)

3 mins ago, KSantangelo said:

I’m hoping to get better in time, with more practice, at tying knots at night on shore. I’m still pretty new at this, and I get nervous and mess up. Practice, practice, practice :)

Practice, practice, practice and watch a lot of videos. I'm one of those types of person that gets obsessed with anything I get into, I'd spend weeks reading and researching, watching videos on certain topics. 

It depends on what type of fishing I'm doing.  I mostly use knots in freshwater and I like a knot whenever i can use it but if I’ll be doing any trolling i always put on a swivel.

21 mins ago, GoodOneSam said:

Practice, practice, practice and watch a lot of videos. I'm one of those types of person that gets obsessed with anything I get into, I'd spend weeks reading and researching, watching videos on certain topics. 

It’s funny you mention videos...I was watching a bunch of John Skinner ones on You Tube earlier!

As a relative beginner I’m a believer in the swivel. I can tie a prettied leader with clip to braid with palomar trough swivel. Works great and can be tied in dark. 

Swivel...it's just what works best for me. I like having pre-tied leaders in my bag for a quick uni knot change out when needed.

I went back to the FG knot. PITA to tie but gets easier over time. I was uni to uni for a long time. I still haven’t had the uni x 2 fail on a fish...yet. Every time I hang up on the bottom I’m amazed at how easy the knot fails, at the knot, every time. Braid sinches down and cuts off the leader. If you are gonna go swivel I strongly suggest adding a bead on the main line to protect your guides.