Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimW

Humidity setting off smokes

9 posts in this topic

I have been replacing smoke detectors periodically, think this is 3rd set in about 25 years.  Always use the same type, ionization.   Never had a problem with high humidity before   but this summer has been ridiculous.  Lost power for a while in a heavy storm yesterday so no AC and soon I had to disable the whole lot again.

Is this common and are the only ways to deal with this is run the AC or disable them?  Would it be worth it to replace them again with photoelectric type?

Never heard of such a thing.

Once I spent an hour trying to shut up a smoke detector in a small utility room.

Beep, Beep, Beep...

Replaced the battery.

Beep, Beep, Beep...

Blew it out with air.

Beep, Beep, Beep...

Factory reset.

Beep, Beep, Beep...

Finally bought a new one to replace it.

Then the new one started doing the same thing.

Beep, Beep, Beep...

It was at that moment I realized that the room had TWO detectors in the room, and the one on the far wall had a bad battery,

Our First Alert smoke detector has been going off for no good reason the past couple of weeks.  We have no AC and live deep in a giant forest in the Catoctin Mountains of Maryland.  It's been raining nearly every day for a couple weeks... sometimes 3 times a day... 12"-14" of rain during this time... mugginess is sky-high.  So I googled something about false alarms and smoke detectors.  I got a bunch of stuff about high humidity as of recent weeks setting of smoke detector for lots of people without AC.  So yeah, unusually extra high humidity will set off smoke detectors.  It turned a little dry the past several days and the false alarms have stopped.

Thanks for replies.  I guess I’ll blow them out but they been out of the box only a couple weeks, new batteries.  Hopefully the weather gets drier.     Been brutal, house a bit up the street was hit by lightning.  We’ve had a few electrical monsoons 

Jim, are these smoke detectors wired together so if one goes off they all go off? or are they independent of each other?

I had a situation where one in a bedroom would intermittently go off and set the whole house off. At first I didn't realize it but after a few of those false alarms I realized that when they'd all go off there was always one that would take the lead first then the others would follow and it was always this bedroom alarm going off first. I blew into the sensor and out came this little tiny pinhead size spider and all was well after that.  I'm just wondering if your situation is similar and it is one alarm that is causing the grief.

Edited by rwalter7

They are interconnected.  Pretty sure at least two different units in different rooms have been first to go off.  Might be worth moving them around and disabling one at a time to see what happens. Good thought, thanks